Electric Anchor suggestions

What type of anchor are you using with the Trac 45? Could you use a box anchor with this setup? 

I thought about a box, but I don't see how it would work effectively with the trac motor.  That would be absolutely ideal if I could.

ton of research. seems like the cheaper models are just that cheap. many roller hangup problems, line get hung up on cheap rollers. most are not for salt water applications, minn kota is one. seems like the one made in Italy is expensive but trouble free and constructed for salt water mostly stainless steel parts and water tight sealed motor that can be mounted under the bow on a pontoon boat and has a special built in device to keep anchor from accidently being released.

I have a 22SSRX on order and am considering the Quick PTR350 or the Minn Kota DH40 Pontoon windless. I boat in salt water and Minn Kota says that the DH40 was designed for fresh water and using it in salt water will void the warranty, although they know that there are boaters using them in salt water with satisfactory results. I also called Quick USA and they said that the PTR 350 is fine in salt water but the salt water will shorten its life somewhat. They also advised me to mount it on the deck not under it. Keep in mind that the Quick costs almost 3 times what the Minn Kota does. Trac currently has no products for salt water.

We just bought our Benny and are awaiting its arrival... due to our age and physical condition we researched and bought the Qick PTR 350 Pontoon windlass with stainless steel bow roller and comes with 100 feet of rope and 18 pound anchor. Not cheep but the only one you can mount under the deck! Bought from Hodges Marine. Optional console switch available too. Can't review as we don't have our Benny yet! This week hopefully!!!!!!

Please post once you get it...maybe a video to. I had seen these this past spring. Pricey, but I like the idea of the under the deck mount, and wiring it into the counsel. However, I am curious about water hitting it, or it creating a drag. Based on weight, and possible under deck water spray. It's forward mounting makes me think it would be okay, but that is in the back of my mind. Also, any info on gears, how it locks in place, etc... with an eye towards part failure, or premature deployment of anchor when under way, etc...?

I look forward to hearing about your experience with it over the upcoming year as I really like the concept, and mounting.

This is how I mounted it on the South Bay that I recently sold. It worked good but I don't think I'll put one on the new Benny that is on order. It was nice having the convenience of operating it from the helm but in reality it wasn't as great as I thought it'd be. Here's what I didn't like about it:
1. When I hit the switch to lower it I'd still go and pull some more rope out to get the right angle for the anchor to "bite" in. Then I'd go back to the switch and put it in lock position. If you leave the switch in the down position (on Minn Kota)it stays in a "drift" mode and will continue to let rope out until you notice and lock it (middle position on switch). Easy to forget sometimes when there's lots going on or after a couple refreshments o_O
2.When raising the anchor I wasn't really comfortable with just hitting the switch and hoping it'll come up so I'd usually break the anchor free by hand to make sure it's not stuck then go raise it with the switch. The other alternative is to bug somebody to watch it while winching to make sure it's coming up.
3.Once it was raised I'd usually have to lower it back down to water level to clean it off and then go raise it again.
4.Accidental deployment- this past summer a friend of mine was driving the boat as I was on another one to do some wakeboarding and when we got back to the dock there was a few feet of rope dangling from the davit. He must've bumped the switch with his knee or one of the kids hit it. I still don't know what happened but there went a $150 Richter anchor (that's why that cheap spare is on there in the pic :() and a 100' of rope.
All in all I loved the idea of it but it wasn't as practical and useful as I'd hoped it would be. Mounting it under the deck would even be worse in my opinion as it would be harder to "supervise" when operating it. Also, if the anchor comes up with 10lbs of mud or weeds it'll be a lot harder to clean off. In theory it seems like you'd just hit the switch up or down and that's it but in reality there's needs to be physical intervention more times than not. In the end I think it's easier to just toss it out and pull it in. One exception would be anchoring in very deep water as manually dealing with that much rope would be a pain.
I've also mounted a Minn Kota (motor and all) on the front deck and it didn't last very long (maybe just a dud) and the rope spool was exposed to the sun and deteriorated quickly.

anchor winch.JPG anchor winch 2.JPG

I raise mine till I hear the “chain” hit, then put my switch in middle position. I then go up to the unit itself and use the switch located on it to finish bringing it up after I’ve cleaned anything off it.
I think cleaning it off is just a part of owning any anchor, so that’s not really a drawback to the MinnKota.
The accidental deployment is something to be careful of. Luckily, I’ve only done it while covering the toon, and heard it when it started dropping and just hit the switch quickly.

I agree with the cleaning of the anchor being the same no matter what system you use. I just meant that when your pulling it in by hand your up there anyways and don't have to go back and forth to the switch. I mounted the motor under a seat for protection but the drawback to that is it's not really convenient to use the built in switch on the motor. I did like the set up but I usually only anchor in 10'-20' of water so fairly easy to hand bomb it. I'm also relatively young and in pretty good shape but I could definitely see someone with a bad back or shoulder benefiting more from it. I'm not against them, just wanted to share my experience with them, I just don't think I'll put one on the new boat.

I wonder with the under deck unit if cleaning off the anchor would be an issue. Sometimes I swear that I bring up 1/2 the bottom with mine.

Excellent food for thought Renegade. Lots of things I had not considered. Frankly, I am in a very shallow lake, so it really isn't an issue doing the anker by hand anyway. Just the little back and forth tells me I would probably be better off just keeping it by hand.

New boat just came in... going to see it Saturday, we are having the Deck Hand 40 installed by the dealer.

The problem with these anchors is salt water. Only the Quick PTR 350 will withstand salt water and they don't recommend mounting it under the deck. The video posted earlier is not a manufacturers video. Salt water will destroy these windlasses and will also shorten the life of the PTR 350. Both MinnKota and Trac have nothing for salt water.

Back