Electric Bimini vs Hybrid Bimini

wiredup55

Reaction score
Hey all, we are still finalizing our build and this is kind of the last decision to be made.  I originally wanted a sport arch or tower, but can't due to layout.  I like the more modern look of the hybrid bimini, and would like some feedback from anyone who has had to make the same decision and any thoughts on the matter.  TIA

Will the boat be kept on a lift? If so go with the electric bimini. I wish I had one as I have to manually raise, lower the top every time we go out. The hybrid looks nicer though.

I have the standard electric bimini and do love it for going in and out of the covered lift. It is quirky in that there is only one set of powered arms so the back hoop flops down to the deck when you lower it. Other than that it's been great, no complaints.

thanks for the replies.

It will be on a lift, but not a covered lift, so shouldn't need to really raise or lower it much.  Doesn't the canvas come off the back part of the hybrid, as to keep it cleaner?

Does the hybrid feel sturdy?  I have seen some posts that it's a little flimsy.

Landscaper should chime in surrounding the hybrid top. I saw the hybrid when they first came out and I thought they were wobbly. That was back in 2013 though so I'm sure things have changed...I hope.

Are you not going to out a cover on the lift in the future?

I have to agree with lakeliving, my good friend has a 21slx with the hybrid top and although it is on there quite solid and IMO is not going anywhere when he is zipping along the bimini frame moves and creeks

Landscaper should chime in surrounding the hybrid top. I saw the hybrid when they first came out and I thought they were wobbly. That was back in 2013 though so I'm sure things have changed...I hope.

Are you not going to out a cover on the lift in the future?
No, it's not real popular or needed down where I leave for a cover on the lift.  We use mooring covers for the winter and seat covers if needed for short periods during the summer.  I would probably remove the canvas off the Hybrid if I went that route, for the winter. 

I do have the Hybrid and I actually love it. It does wobble a bit but very sturdy. I trailer my boat every weekend and it has no problems at 75 mph on the highway. So needless to say it does very well at 48 mph on the water.  I love this because I don't have to take it down. I also like the fact that you can strap towables to the top out of the way. The one downfall I would see for some is the inability to take it down as it is about 12'6" when on the trailer and you have to be aware of low hanging obstacles. Sounds like you would not be doing too much trailering.

Well, just got off the phone with the dealer.  Interesting enough, Bennington has changed the design of the hybrid bimni and now it does not pull down to load tubes, etc.  It is fixed and doesn't look nearly as good as the one you have.   They also can't do the new one in black, it has to stay SS shiny.  So, that pretty much makes up my mind.  Why they would change it to this newer (worse design imo) style and not allow a blackout with it, is beyond me. 

my choice would be the manual double bimini. The electric seems like one more thing to take care of and just as you come to rely on it, thats whn it fails.

To my earlier point about the stereo, if you want to upgrade it, put the head unit INSIDE the helm and mount only the remote out in the helm panel. The covers for the ones in the helm are never adequately weather proof.

My next boat will either be that way or no stereo at all. Its pretty rugged service for stereo components.

Well, just got off the phone with the dealer.  Interesting enough, Bennington has changed the design of the hybrid bimni and now it does not pull down to load tubes, etc.  It is fixed and doesn't look nearly as good as the one you have.   They also can't do the new one in black, it has to stay SS shiny.  So, that pretty much makes up my mind.  Why they would change it to this newer (worse design imo) style and not allow a blackout with it, is beyond me. 
I've got the double bimini with the different type rear hybrid in black.  The rear is solid as a rock.  It doesn't move a bit even at 50 on the water.

I've got the double bimini with the different type rear hybrid in black.  The rear is solid as a rock.  It doesn't move a bit even at 50 on the water.
Gotcha, cool.  You have a beautiful boat and now can see what the new bimini looks like much better in your photos.  There is only 1 or 2 photos in the brochure and that's it.  Yours is the first newer version I've seen in real photos.  How easy is it to retract the bimini?  Is there a boot cover when retracted?

Gotcha, cool.  You have a beautiful boat and now can see what the new bimini looks like much better in your photos.  There is only 1 or 2 photos in the brochure and that's it.  Yours is the first newer version I've seen in real photos.  How easy is it to retract the bimini?  Is there a boot cover when retracted?
There are two boot covers for the front and rear.  I haven't torn down the rear bimini but I have seen pics online.  Basically, you undo the mount at the rail and it collapses down on itself then secured with the boot itself.  The front is unzipped from the rear bimini and can then be left up with the boot in place or one of the rail mounts can be undone and it lays down.  Most of my boating consists of towing about 2 miles down to the lake so for the most part everything is left up.  If I tow up to Powell or something then yeah I'll tear them down and install the boots.  I looked at a new 2015 boat before I ordered mine and it had a similar hybrid tower bimini.  For 2016, they added another support that attaches to the tubing and then to the floor behind the captain's chair.  It's very solid.  You can't ski or anything from it but when running at full speed with the bimini up it doesn't move at all.  Very rigid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back