EPA Sets Ethanol Amounts to Historic Levels ( Boating United )

Jack M

Reaction score
boatingunited2015emailbanner.jpg

e15%20damaged%20engine(2).jpg
Speechless. The EPA recetly announced its plans to increase the country’s ethanol mandate to historic levels. That’s right, despite the science and facts about the harms of ethanol, the government is doubling-down on its handout to corn farmers and ethanol producers. But the government can’t just quietly inflate the levels of ethanol in our fuel without hearing first from the public. They have to collect comments until July 27th—the easiest way to submit a comment, and tell the EPA to reverse course, is right here, right now with Boating United.

To make matters worse, in a gift to the ethanol industry, the White House is handing them a $100 million check to install blender pumps across the US. These are the pumps equipped to dispense E15 and higher blends at your local gas stations. You’ve got that right; the government is doing everything it can to force E15 into our fuel.

Unless we stop them.  

If you are afraid of what ethanol can and will do to marine engines, water quality and the environment, then you need to comment. (And while you’re at it, you’ll be asked to send a quick note to your legislators to encourage them to step in and stop the EPA.)

If our industry fails to speak up now, you better believe E15 will be at your corner station before you know it. And that’s bad for boating and for business. 

Why don't the motor manufacturers engineer a marine engine to handle this? There use to be lead in the gas, things change. I'm not for more ethanol but curious what the motor manufacturers can do.

We dont need any ethanol .

Its just not ,marine either ,lawn mowers ,generators etc 

Why don't the motor manufacturers engineer a marine engine to handle this? There use to be lead in the gas, things change. I'm not for more ethanol but curious what the motor manufacturers can do.

Just came back from Florida and I received that email as well.  I was going to post it but once again Jack you beat me to the punch

Yup me too. Already pressed send on the form letters.

They could, but that would only compound the problem. You would pay more for your engine, get fewer hours per tankful, pay more for your beer and liquor, more for any product that contains or eats corn. Plus the added consumption of diesel fuel and coal produced electricity to produce and refine the ethanol. It's not efficient, it's not green, it's crazy.

Oh yeah, i signed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only way to combat this is to fill up with premium gas.  In my area in northern WI they sell premium gas with NO ETHANOL!  HOwever, down in the greater Milwaukee area you cannot get any gas without ethanol.  So it may be more expensive at the pump, it is way better for your motor.  At least for now that is!!!   Keep up the good fight!

They could, but that would only compound the problem. You would pay more for your engine, get fewer hours per tankful, pay more for your beer and liquor, more for any product that contains or eats corn. Plus the added consumption of diesel fuel and coal produced electricity to produce and refine the ethanol. It's not efficient, it's not green, it's crazy.

Oh yeah, i signed up.
That is also why the price of Food has risen .

My only way to combat this is to fill up with premium gas.  In my area in northern WI they sell premium gas with NO ETHANOL!  HOwever, down in the greater Milwaukee area you cannot get any gas without ethanol.  So it may be more expensive at the pump, it is way better for your motor.  At least for now that is!!!   Keep up the good fight!
Sort-able list ,Hopefully in your area

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=WI

Sent mine

Me too, and got a response from our reps.

I sent the letter.

We can thank the EPA for the high electric costs on the horizon and brown/blackouts too as many baseload power plants shut down.

Most are probably aware, but wanted to throw this in there anyway. I included a paraphrase of this in my letters to representatives. Admin note - this is not at all to skew this political. This issue has nothing to do with party politics. This is inherent to our system of primaries.

The ethanol mandate is promoted by Iowa corn farmers. At the beginning of our presidential election process, we are seeking a president of Iowa. Iowa is the only thing that matters (except New Hampshire a little bit). Pandering to Iowa...the E15 push. 

At the end of the presidential election process, we are seeking the president of Ohio. Iowa and Ohio. Who'da thunk it. 

This should be a non-starter. But the ethanol lobby is a big deal. Lots and lots and lots of unambiguous letters need to be written. And if it includes language such as "while I understand that federal election candidates need to pander to Iowa Caucus, and the Iowa Caucus is bought and paid for by the Ethanol Lobby, I need you to do what's right. I need you to vote against anything that further contaminates motor fuels with corn alcohol. The motor manufacturers are concerned, therefore I am concerned. That legislators are not concerned based on recommendations against higher concentrations of ethanol in motor fuel, concerns me. It shows just how little the constituents matter, when Iowa corn farmers want higher corn prices and E15 is the way to get there. Do what's right. Vote against increased ethanol and against increases to the renewable fuel mandates."

Call it out. Not just a letter to vote 'no'. Call it out. Call out the Iowa Caucus and the Ethanol lobbyists for what they are. A special interest. And call out the legislators who support them for what they are - panderers. 

Just my $.02

I sent mine today. I am lucky to have two local gas stations that sell ethonol free gas (which I use not only for my boat but also for my lawn mower and generator). I was wondering why I have been seeing more and more gas stations selling E15 -- now I think I know.

Done

Here is the reply I got . :lol:

email-header-top09.gif

Dear Jack,

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about the use of ethanol.  I appreciate hearing your views.

Corn-based ethanol is a bridge to new, advanced biofuels that do not compete with our food supply. These next-generation biofuels convert products like native grasses, agricultural waste, and timber waste into fuel and require fewer input costs. 

I believe that biofuels are a critical part of overcoming our nation's dependence on foreign oil. The Environmental Protection Agency approved the use of E15, which is a blend of gasoline and up to 15 percent ethanol, for vehicles that are model year 2001 or newer. E15 is prohibited for use in all motorcycles, off-road vehicles, heavy-duty engines, and older cars. In addition, the Environmental Protection Agency also created new fuel labeling requirements to help consumers avoid misfueling.  I will continue to monitor this issue, and should related legislation come before me for a vote, I will be sure to keep your views in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family.

Sincerely,

dssign-debbie.gif

Debbie Stabenow
United States Senator[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow
The United States Senate • Washington, DC 20510
stabenow.senate.gov

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]​

Thanks Debbie

Because of ethanol fuel, I now pay $7.99 a Quart to get fuel for my chainsaw,trimmer and blower.  My last blower lasted 2 years using gas with additives.   If the government thinks it such a great idea, take away the subsidizes and let the marketplace decide.  

Back