ESP and Slalom Skiing

Kahlua0517

Reaction score
Waiting for my 2550 RCL with a 250 Yamaha and I was wondering what kind of wake does the tri-toon (ESP) make for slalom skiing?  Anyone have experience with this setup and pulling a skier?

We've got the 2250 GSR with ESP and the Yamaha 250 VMax. It gets me out of the water on one ski with relative ease (for a 190 pound fifty year old dude). We've had the boat for just over a month and have only been out skiing a couple of times so far. The wake is a bit different from a V hull boat. The wake is shallower with a bit more spray (I'm guessing from the center toon). No big deal, just different.

I was a driver and official for professional s K I er's for a couple decades. My toon will never substitute for a Correct Craft or Master Craft, but will give a better than most, recreational slalom run. The wake is soft and low and the table,forgiving. It is more about the OB.

The spray will be you if you start getting into 22 off and you will pull the boat if you are a 36mph skier....if you plan on doing a lot of skiing, I would go with a different prop to improve the holeshot and for go the top end....

We propped for hole shot and cruising.  We slalom ski.  The boat works well.  As Bull said, it is not a Mastercraft, but it works.  If you cut hard the table is wider than you are used to and you are hitting a rolling edge but we don't ski that hard anymore.  It works for tubing but it's harder to get knock them off, not much of a lip.  

Another one for the Mastercraft and it's acceleration and wake! My father in law has one and you just can't beat it! 72 yrs. old and still barefoots. Both from his "Boom" and behind the boat. Unreal!

My wife and kids ski/wakeboard behind our Benny. (My skiing days are over. I've become the driver/videographer and throw a hell of a ski rope and can also pull it in. Ha!)  Like what others have said skiing behind the Benny works and you will be satisfied. But it will never substitute for a true ski boat where they can control or create the wake by the ballast tanks some have onboard..................My wife and daughter are dying to try "surfing" behind a ski boat. They start off behind the boat w/a surfboard and ski rope and once on the wave let go of the rope and ride the wave................

BigKahuna, I have never seen or even heard of surfing the wake.  I find it hard to believe they can stay on the wake very long, how long can an experienced surfer stay up?

My cousin was doing it behind his MB Sports boat while I was driving. It's pretty crazy. You fill up just one side of the ballasts so it creates a deaper wake on one side. You can get a 3 foot wave/wake going. My dealer sold a Super Air Nautique at the boat show for $160G. Incredible boat. He had one of the team riders there and I was talking to him. He said that that boat can dump and fill so fast that the surfer can actually switch to the other side of the wake mid run. 

My cousin was doing it behind his MB Sports boat while I was driving. It's pretty crazy. You fill up just one side of the ballasts so it creates a deaper wake on one side. You can get a 3 foot wave/wake going. My dealer sold a Super Air Nautique at the boat show for $160G. Incredible boat. He had one of the team riders there and I was talking to him. He said that that boat can dump and fill so fast that the surfer can actually switch to the other side of the wake mid run. 
We have several of those new SN surf boats on our little lake, quite the craze right now. They do some pretty amazing things with the active wake systems. Malibu also has the Surf Gate, which is what my neighbor has. Huge investment for what looks like a very brief bit of fun unless you're really good. They also have a FlyBoard, which got a lot of workout over the weekend.

Your neighbor sounds like Bill Gates!! GGTK!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Daril, that is amazing, never thought they could keep on going without being towed

My twin brother has a Tigé wakeboard boat. Pretty kick ass boat.  We do the wake surfing all the time on our lake.  Great thing about it, your arms never get fatigued!!! The key is to be able to fill one side with ballast to create an awesome wake. I believe the speed is about 9 - 10 mph.  

Thanks for the reply's.   :)  

I was just wondering if the tri-toon makes for a better or worse slalom skiing experience when compared to a traditional two pontoon setup.  My dealer says that the tri-toon is better due to the style of wake and maneuverability of the boat.

Yup, get 3 tubes and all the HP you can afford.

Back