Evinrude E-Tec vs. Yamaha

Michiman

Reaction score
I had seen that before. Am I the only one that believes the Yamaha was significantly over-propped?

If you can't reach proper RPM, you don't have the correct prop, so I don't believe this was a fair comparison.

I don't have a dog in this race but I smell a rat. It's hard to believe a 200 HP engine is unable to get this boat on plane and they seemed to focus on that point and not attempting to solve it. Something was not right with this test and I agree it points to the prop choice.

Surprising but believe it was a fair test although the Yamaha seemed too low in the water and maybe should have come up a hole

Interesting comments thus far! Personally, I'm not sure Mercury would have performed much differently.

If you noticed, they didn't trim up the motors. They were all the way down.

So, as a total newbie, I have to ask why use a test boat that is this heavy vs the horsepower of the engines being tested?

All I know is my Yamaha 200 was great on my previous Bennington. Apples and oranges as far as I am concerned.

As most of you know I’m an Evinrude guy..... but even I don’t think any effort was put into the Yamaha to tune it correctly. Yes the G2 run like the dickens but I can’t see that big of a difference a reality!

Something is not right. 200 hp only 9 MPH? Smells fishy!

Although it is a heavier boat, I find 3200 rpm and 9 mph pretty hard to believe.

I think all these manufacturers (Mercury, Evinrude, Honda and Yamaha) make great engines and while any one of them may not be perfect, you can't really go wrong any which way.

I like what BRP/Evinrude is doing with their technology, thinking outside the box. However, I was disappointed in them in this video release. While it may get them some sales from those that don't know better, I think it hurts their credibility with those that do.

When it was first released, I sent them an inquiry about it and the response was crickets :(

My F200 is a beast. Something doesn’t add up.

But what was more enlightening is that video and their testing was done right by my house!!! 6F21620C-337B-4CBE-9A5F-CA86DB27FAE1.jpeg81BBDF6D-D999-4F75-B008-E2A76382B6B6.jpeg0AEDEE9F-A844-4D67-A5C3-81CA989EE2A9.jpeg

Last edited:
0583A52D-22BE-4E76-8858-F794AD493486.jpeg

That would have been funny to see you fly by Lakeliving while they were filming. I thought it was pretty funny how the narrator made such a big deal about over revving the motor and voiding the warranty. I think rev limiters have been out for about 20 years now.

Yet he lugged the motor for periods of time multiple times. If I see him around I’ll show him what the 200 can do!

2 stokes have their place.
Pontoon isn't it.

You really do need to take everything these days with a grain of salt. In fact it might now be time to update that saying . . . a pound of salt? One of those big rock salt granules like they use on the roads in places? Maybe the margarita glass rim salt?

I watched that Chevy truck video where they made the new Ford aluminum bed in the F150 look stupid with a side by side test. Some of you may have seen that video where they used a front loader and dropped concrete blocks and a tool box into the beds. Well just the other day I say an mythbusting video on youtube where they showed some serious inconsistencies in those tests. It seems pretty obvious they were heavily edited and manipulated. Of course that video could have been full of crap but I always look for motive and the ones who paid for the commercial AND the test are the ones I would be least likely to trust.

Back