Evinrude Etec

skipperbill

Reaction score
I'm a little surprised not to see more Bennington owners with Etecs. Is it because Bennington just gets a little more kickback with Yamaha and Mercurys? My dealer offers every motor choice (certainly a little heavy on the BRP products) and recommended the Etec hands-down. This being my first new boat (aside from my current '91 JC with a Mariner 40hp), I had no idea what to look for in a motor. After getting the dealer's recommendation, I did a little research of my own and, not to open a can of worms, but it seems like a phenomenal motor. Frankly, most reviews make it sound like it blows most others out of the water for performance, maintenance, basically every category. I foresee some sharp "tongues" coming my way. However, I'm just opening up this topic because it might not be too late to change my motor if a read a convincing argument and that's what forums are all about right? Opinions? Btw, I went with an Etec 200 hp HO...see my signature. Plan to do lots of tubing, skiing, wakeboarding, etc...the main reason I went with a hole shot motor. Thanks! Go easy on me.

I have spoken to a few of the marine reps at various boat shows the Yamaha rep think he's the best as does the Mercury. My gut feeling is they are all quality and this is akin to being a Ford or Chevy guy. My Benny dealer, Pont Breeze Marina pushes Yamaha even though he is certified Yamaha and Mercury, I have heard that Bennington is the largest purchaser of Yamaha and passes some of toe savings on to the dealer. I think what might be most important is which brand does your Bennington dealer feel he is most comfortable with servicing and that might be the one to go with.

I believe Bennington is one of the biggest buyers of Yamaha outboards, if not THE biggest in the US, just like Manitou is a big buyer of BRP engines so you tend to hear that recommendation from them as well. The dealers do also benefit from that leveraged pricing when their engines are delivered from the manufacturers.

Honestly, all of the modern outboards, including E-Tec, are great engines so a lot of it boils down to service that is available from local dealerships, as well as brand loyalty for repeat buyers.

One differentiator for pontoons these days is that many resale buyers do look for a 4 stroke first. I just sold one and it was very clear to me from prospects' comments. That is not necessarily because the 4 stroke is "better", but because it's a perception created within that marketplace (noise, fuel economy, reliability). I bought mine to use it, not to sell it, so that drove brand choice for me.

I went Yamaha because my last boat had an Etec 150, and it was not a good engine.

Skipperbill,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! My research said that the new Merecury 150 4 stroke was the best engine choice for our Bennington 22SSI. Excellent performance, quick accelleration, very quiet and easy maintenance! Tubing and skiing is a breeze with extra power to spare. I would never go back to a 2 stroke or IO, been there done that! Our Bennington is 9 months old and we are very happy.

RiverBill

I went with Yamaha becuse of the warranty. 5 years, then I add the 6th and 7th so the entire boat is covered for 7 years.

I have had 2 strokes and I/O engines in the past. I wanted a 4 stroke and in doing research the Yamaha seamed to be rated highly.

Don't believe you can go wrong with a Mercury or Honda either. Don't know if resale value is important but I believe the three i mentioned have higher resale value. Every boat I say this is the last one and I continue to trade - this is #4.

I chose Yamaha for my last two boats because I had a merc two stroke and hated it. Noisy smelly and I was always pouring oil into the reservoir I just didn't like the two stroke personal choice good luck I'm sure etec is a great motor

I love my Honda.

YAMAHA RULES!!! THE REST R 4 FOOLS!!! Hahaha, hahahaha, just kidding!!! I went with Yamaha because my dealer liked them, they hadn't had an SHO motor yet, but since I live over 5 hours away from my dealer, I went with the Yamaha still because I know the local Yamaha dealer where I will be getting service done. So as was said before, go with the serviceability aspect. Plus my lake of choice is in a National Park and 4 strokes are the law, (although I think the etec still passed for its emissions compliance, but I'd hate for some park staff to NOT know that and boot me off the Lake!!)

Well, thanks everyone for chiming in. I knew there would be a variety of opinions. I agree with the serviceability argument. The fact is, both the salesman and the owner of the marina recommended the Etec and I can't imagine them doing so if it's gonna give me (and thus them) a bunch of grief. It does come with a 6-year boat show special warranty. Can't wait to open it up on the lake! Soon!

I looked at several motors. The honda just didnt have the numbers. The merc was too loud. The E-tec would keep me off certain lakes. I went with the 200 VMAX SHO for its reliabilty, quietness and oomph. Plus, it is pretty damn sexy looking hanging off the back of my boat.

My wife's family has a Yamaha on their boat and it has always ran great and super quiet. I like the winterizing on the e-tec but didn't want to mess with the oil, smell, sound etc.

I have the 250HO etec on a 22RCW. There is no "smell" or smoke and I used around 5 gallons of oil last summer and I was at the lake every weekend weather allowed and pulled tubs and did a lot of riding around. This also included the automatic 10hr break in when the computer doubles up on the oil. As far as sound goes I have seen a lot of Yamahas on the lake and have not heard a 250 Yamaha any quiter than my etec. Just my $.02

PDX

Which lake wouldn't allow a modern 3 star CARB outboard? I see even lake Tahoe now allows direct injected 2 stokes like hpdi, optimax, and Etec

Just curious

Todd

I guess I didn't realize that modern two-strokes were compliant. I assumed that there wasn't a real difference.

:)

PDX

Which lake wouldn't allow a modern 3 star CARB outboard? I see even lake Tahoe now allows direct injected 2 stokes like hpdi, optimax, and Etec

Just curious

Todd

I think it all boils down to perception and personal preference, bias. This is like trying to figure out who has the best looking wife on here. Get what will make you happy every time you turn the key!

I always ran johnrudes (Johnson / evinrude) with great success on all my boats. Unfortunately where I got the best deal on my Bennington, I had to go with Mercury. Am I happy? Absolutely. As others have stated, go with what you like best and can get it serviced easily.

The Etec HO's are just like the merc Pro XS. A little factory hopped up in hp and torque. I don't see any reason why you should change your mond

Todd

I think it all boils down to perception and personal preference, bias. This is like trying to figure out who has the best looking wife on here. Get what will make you happy every time you turn the key!
I just want to know where to get one of these wives that make you happy when you turn the key!!! Or did I read that wrong?? :blink:

Back