Filling NOT Spilling

MrG

Reaction score
So my 2012 2575 Qcw with 350 I/O has a finicky filling regim. 

#1 you absolutely positively can't depend on the Dash fuel gauge to give you a "when to stop" 

#2 by the time the dash tells you your at 100% fuel has been flying out of the side of the boat for about 5 seconds.

#3 I cycle the ignition switch on and off while it's filling to keep resetting the dash gauge untill it's about 70-80%. This is way faster way to have the Dash gauge update and tell you the amount of gas in the tank.

once I'm at around 70-80% that's when you get to play "Money Shot Roulette" if the gas station I'm filling at is buzzing with loud Harley's and idling Diesel trucks then I take my 70-80% fill and hit the road. Ya see your only indication that your gonna have a massive spitback overflow is the sound! And if it's loud at the fill station your walking on already thin Ice. That's right you can hear the tone of the gas filling up the fill tube change. If you keep a close listen to the sound of gas filling you will get used to the tone it produces. The min that tone changes or if you hear it spitting or doing Anythjng remotely different thats when you Stop immediately if not sooner. 

Try a different gas station. The pumps I've used all shut off when the boat is full. Never had any gas spit out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the exact same problem.  I've become used to listening to the sound; you get to recognize when you're getting full.  The main tank is more difficult to judge that the secondary tank, because it (2nd tank) fills from the top, whereas the primary tank fills from the side of the boat.  I've learned that when I hear that sound, I know I'm close. 

#1 you absolutely positively can't depend on the Dash fuel gauge to give you a "when to stop" 

#2 by the time the dash tells you your at 100% fuel has been flying out of the side of the boat for about 5 seconds.

#3 I cycle the ignition switch on and off while it's filling to keep resetting the dash gauge untill it's about 70-80%. This is way faster way to have the Dash gauge update and tell you the amount of gas in the tank.

once I'm at around 70-80% that's when you get to play "Money Shot Roulette" if the gas station I'm filling at is buzzing with loud Harley's and idling Diesel trucks then I take my 70-80% fill and hit the road. Ya see your only indication that your gonna have a massive spitback overflow is the sound! And if it's loud at the fill station your walking on already thin Ice. That's right you can hear the tone of the gas filling up the fill tube change. If you keep a close listen to the sound of gas filling you will get used to the tone it produces. The min that tone changes or if you hear it spitting or doing Anythjng remotely different thats when you Stop immediately if not sooner. 

Yup been there! I know exactly what you are describing. I've had the spit back and what makes it worse is the fuel cap sits about 7 feet off the ground when it sits on the trailer. I usually put a couple paper towels around the opening. But like what Kaydano said try another pump. I've had pumps shut off automatically with no spit back..........when I get gas at marinas during the summer the kids usually pump for you......

I was just wondering if this issue still existed on newer Bennington's. 

I think the issue is 

#1 the fill neck turns to tight right where you insert the gas fill nozzle. This makes it so you can't fully insert the gas nozzle into the fill neck. 

Normaly with a car the nozzle go's all the way into the fill neck and makes a seal with your car's tank. The pump can sence the pressure as your tank begins to fill and kicks the nozzle off b4 you have a Over fill situation. If you can't put the nozzle all the way into the fill neck the nozzle will never make a seal with the boat and you will always have the potential for overflow

I thought in California you get 10 to life for topping off at the pump?

Try putting the nozzle in upside down.

There is actually a little hole on the bottom of the nozzel that allows air back in. As soon as fluid covers that hole at all, it kicks off. If you are locked into the full open position it can sometimes not be fast enough. 

Back