First day on the water...

ct0218

Reaction score

Finally got a couple of decent weather days in a row and we took the new boat out. I logged three hours today on Lake Glenville, the highest reservoir in the east---3500  ft. The boat was great, can't wait for my usual lake to get closer to full pool by early May...only 40 feet to go!

I'm jealous, I have to wait at least another month.

Been to Glenville with the kayaks.

You might like Nanahala, Santeetla, and Appalachia which you launch into below Hiawassee Dam.

You can also come up here. We are over full.

Congratulations and ENJOY 

Where are the 70 degree temps ?

Their not here, YET !

94687792.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Clark. Looks like you had a blast.

We finally got to 71* today after snow on last Friday / Saturday!

We did have a blast. The boat performed flawlessly too, I'm really impressed with the ride and stability. We were about 5 mph short of what I thought it would run, but 31-32 mph for the elevation there isn't too bad. My usual lake, Fontana, is about 2000 ft lower elevation, so it should run somewhat better there. I still have to get used to trimming the motor for optimal speed, totally different than my bass boat, or any other boat I've owned. We got to the lake about noon, and I think we were the first to use the ramp there, they were taking down the barricades when we arrived. All the ramps on the lake were just rebuilt, new docks, new parking areas, really nice now.

We did have a blast. The boat performed flawlessly too, I'm really impressed with the ride and stability. We were about 5 mph short of what I thought it would run, but 31-32 mph for the elevation there isn't too bad. My usual lake, Fontana, is about 2000 ft lower elevation, so it should run somewhat better there. I still have to get used to trimming the motor for optimal speed, totally different than my bass boat. We got to the lake about noon, and I think we were the first to sue the ramp there. All the ramps on the lake were just rebuilt, new docks, new parking areas, really nice now.
I thought I was pretty experienced with trimming I/O's and v-hull outboards, always enjoying the challenge of squeezing the last bit of speed out of them. The pontoon was totally different. It took me several weeks before I realized I was only using maybe 1/3 of the effective trim available. It is definitely a learning curve.

ct1208, I also would have expected about 5mph more, do others think the additional 2000 feet of elevation could have that much of an effect?

The air is thinner up there.

When he hits 88 he travels through time.

I like to know my battery voltage all the time. I installed 4 digit meters in the dash, top two are the trolling motor batteries, bottom is the cranking battery. The 3 digit gives you a rough idea, but there is a big difference between 12.1 volts and 12.9 volts, 4 digit is much better. I researched power loss at elevation, and all motors do lose some power though everyone seems to have a different number on how much. I was only at full power for a brief period, maybe playing with the trim will produce a little more speed.

10 day forecast here in CT STILL doesn't show temps in the 60's!!!  3 weeks from now that bad boy is going in the water 60 degrees or not!! Can you say "sweatshirt"???!!!!

Well the wife and I got out yesterday for the first of, I hope many hours on the water. Putted around the lake looking at the changed sites. and which walls fell in over the winter. Stopped and had lunch. Listened to music and relaxed. The we started up for some more site seeing. near the end of our trip, fired it up to  5k to clean out the possible deposit build up. Slowed down and pulled over to the ramp and the engine  loaded up, stalled and would not start. Not a pleasant end to what had been a great day. Motor goes into the shop next week. This isn't the first time it's flooded this way but the tech. hasn't figured it out yet. Had new carbs. in it last summer. He'll contact  Merc. and hope they can find a cure. The Benny? Just perfect!

Good Luck Highpond.  Prior to my Benny I had an old clunker.  When I had problems similar to yours it turned out to be simple fix, hopefully yours will be the same

Our crest had a merc 40 hp and when we got it the trim down button didn't work, took off the cowling and the lead was disconnected from the trim motor.... That was an easy fix!

I'm hoping it's an easy fix as well. The motor performs well as we cruise. I'll know more Tuesday night after the dealer gets into it. Fingers crossed.

Back