First time anchoring and... I broke it!

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
I'm sure that telling this story might come with some people thinking I'm an idiot, but I'm new to this boating thing, so I can take it. I had a little experience today that in retrospect, I probably should have handled differently, but it was a good learning experience and I came out of it very impressed with how solid my Bennington is. 

We took some friends out on the lake today just to do a little fishing, have some lunch and get them acquainted with the boat as they are coming on a 5 day camping trip out of it later this month. Aside from anchoring to the beach on previous trips, I'd never actually used my anchor for what it was for yet. So today I decided was a good time to try it out. First attempt we dropped it in 12 feet of water. It worked like a charm and set right away. Soon we realized the fish weren't interested and decided to move to a different area of the lake.

This time, the water was about 45 feet deep. I only had 200 feet of rope and it was pretty windy out. I knew I needed a pretty good scope for that but I probably only let out about 130 feet of line (I still need to mark mine). Anyway, it slipped a bit, but then it set and we stayed put for a while. When it was time to leave, I started pulling the boat over the anchor and then tried to pull the anchor up but it wasn't happening. Me and my buddy tried together and still not budging. We thought that maybe we just needed to pull it from the opposite direction it set, so we decided to try to use the motor to pull it. After a little work, we got it to the other side. I decided to move the rope from the tip of the pontoon to the stern cleat because the wind was making it tricky to get in position. I know that put the rope close to the prop but I had my buddy stay back there and give me an arm where it was so it never got close. 

So I started to throttle it up, thinking it would surely break free now, but nothing. More and more throttle. I notice the stern of the boat getting very deep in the water. I goose it a few more times and it finally broke free. It turns out the stern dipped so low that water came onto the deck and got my friend's pants wet.  :blink:

We pulled up the anchor, and there was a rather large piece of a tree wrapped around it. Imagine that...

After more careful inspection, my very large danforth style anchor actually broke in the process. The welds holding on one of the wings completely broke and bent it quite far from the other one. They were nearly lined up before (see pic below). But the port stern cleat held up and the rope didn't break. Maybe a sign of a crappy anchor, but in retrospect, I'm really glad I didn't mess up my boat! After thinking through the event, I probably should have just cut the line. Or should I? What is a safe protocol for deciding an anchor is not coming up? Hand power only? Just a little throttle? 

Time to buy a new anchor. I think I'll go with the box style a lot of you guys rave about this time. Here is a pic of my bent and broken anchor. Those two wings used to be aligned. For size perspective, the planks on my deck are 2x6. 

IMG_0638.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Made in China crap from the remains of a '64 Dodge.

It's bound to happen. I think I've lost two and gained one so they are one up on me. I would have done just what you did. I gained the one last year that I could not pull up by hand, hooked to the Bennni, pulled a couple different ways and it popped loose. Someone had cut it loose long ago as the rope was thick with algae.

The box anchor is very popular on this forum and I probably would have one but I bought this anchor when we bought the boat 7 seasons ago and it's performed well for us. The scenario you described would have never happened with the Digger anchor. A quick jerk of the rope would have released the anchor and the flukes would have straightened out and then you are able to pull it to the surface...........Anyway here's a link..................http://www.diggeranchor.com/

+1 on not losing the Digger Anchor. I don't own a box anchor but I've had my digger stuck several times and "unlocked" it to retrieve.

I'm sure that telling this story might come with some people thinking I'm an idiot, but I'm new to this boating thing, so I can take it. I had a little experience today that in retrospect, I probably should have handled differently, but it was a good learning experience and I came out of it very impressed with how solid my Bennington is. 

We took some friends out on the lake today just to do a little fishing, have some lunch and get them acquainted with the boat as they are coming on a 5 day camping trip out of it later this month. Aside from anchoring to the beach on previous trips, I'd never actually used my anchor for what it was for yet. So today I decided was a good time to try it out. First attempt we dropped it in 12 feet of water. It worked like a charm and set right away. Soon we realized the fish weren't interested and decided to move to a different area of the lake.

This time, the water was about 45 feet deep. I only had 200 feet of rope and it was pretty windy out. I knew I needed a pretty good scope for that but I probably only let out about 130 feet of line (I still need to mark mine). Anyway, it slipped a bit, but then it set and we stayed put for a while. When it was time to leave, I started pulling the boat over the anchor and then tried to pull the anchor up but it wasn't happening. Me and my buddy tried together and still not budging. We thought that maybe we just needed to pull it from the opposite direction it set, so we decided to try to use the motor to pull it. After a little work, we got it to the other side. I decided to move the rope from the tip of the pontoon to the stern cleat because the wind was making it tricky to get in position. I know that put the rope close to the prop but I had my buddy stay back there and give me an arm where it was so it never got close. 

So I started to throttle it up, thinking it would surely break free now, but nothing. More and more throttle. I notice the stern of the boat getting very deep in the water. I goose it a few more times and it finally broke free. It turns out the stern dipped so low that water came onto the deck and got my friend's pants wet.  :blink:

We pulled up the anchor, and there was a rather large piece of a tree wrapped around it. Imagine that...

After more careful inspection, my very large danforth style anchor actually broke in the process. The welds holding on one of the wings completely broke and bent it quite far from the other one. They were nearly lined up before (see pic below). But the port stern cleat held up and the rope didn't break. Maybe a sign of a crappy anchor, but in retrospect, I'm really glad I didn't mess up my boat! After thinking through the event, I probably should have just cut the line. Or should I? What is a safe protocol for deciding an anchor is not coming up? Hand power only? Just a little throttle? 

Time to buy a new anchor. I think I'll go with the box style a lot of you guys rave about this time. Here is a pic of my bent and broken anchor. Those two wings used to be aligned. For size perspective, the planks on my deck are 2x6. 

IMG_0638.jpg
Your not an idiot.

I have probably lost at least 4 anchors over the years as our lake bottom is covered with stumps and snags.

Another Bennington owner told me they pulled up their anchor, forgot it was on the bow and took off. At about 35 mph the bow jerked and the anchor came flying up from the stern into the boat hitting a passenger in the head. He thought he killed his brother-in-law. He suffered a concussion and many stitches. Also bent the center toon where it was tied on.

I have another anchor story where I ended up loosing the end of my finger, but I'll leave that one alone. 

Your not an idiot.

Another Bennington owner told me they pulled up their anchor, forgot it was on the bow and took off. At about 35 mph the bow jerked and the anchor came flying up from the stern into the boat hitting a passenger in the head. He thought he killed his brother-in-law. He suffered a concussion and many stitches. Also bent the center toon where it was tied on.
Ouch! Now my OCD will kick in and I'll check 5 times to make sure Mrs. Spin put the anchor up properly.

Wow. How do you get your wife to pull up the anchor???

Ah, she's afraid if I struggle with the anchor, I'll end up needing a new boat. It's safer for her shopping addiction this way!

And I know where that pic was taken.    :D

After two babies, I finally got her in a bikini! Might as well brag a little.

Great picture and a pretty gal! Reminds me of a thread on another forum where you post up a pic of your significant other. We're all respectful here so maybe it would work. And it would show us who the real boss is!

Glad you got the anchor out safely.  Just made me think of the story of the NFL players that tied their anchor line to the stern of their boat to get it unstuck...boat capsized and 2 out of 3 died....cut the anchor line...don't use the stern.

I use danforth style anchors because they work particularly well in the sandy and muddy bottoms in most of Florida but in the Keys they can be problematic because of the coral, so here is a trick someone shared on hulltruth.com.  Drill a hole in the opposite end of our danforth and secure your rode their with a shackle like normal but add on a foot or two of cable to the rode.  Then zip tie the cable down the length of the center/shaft so that when you throw the anchor the rode and anchor will be in a "normal" position.  If you ever get stuck, you can use the bow of the boat to drive over the anchor and it will break the zip ties and allow you to pull the anchor out from the backside.  I will see if I can find a thread or picture so I can show you what I am talking about.  I got my anchor stuck 2 or 3 times in the keys on the bottom and this technique worked every time.

I always carry a second anchor....can find them on craiglist sometimes pretty cheap.

Here is an article that explains what I was talking about with another alternative.

This past season was our first with our new Bennington 22-SSX. (We previously owned I/O bowrider -- which we now don't miss at all now compared with our Bennington.)  Some of the boating equipment we carried forward to our new Bennington were our two Chene Anchors.  We've always had good luck with those since they are supposed to have superior hold, no chain is required, supposed to be 100 percent retrievable, use 70 percent less anchor line, and are relatively light in weight. They are available through many different marine suppliers. Have never lost one -- yet. http://www.cheneanchor.com/

We also added a cheap simple mushroom anchor that we use back in the calm, shallow, mud-bottom fishing areas of our lake, for when we just need a very light hold, and are moving more frequently from spot to spot while fishing. 

Enjoy!

Back