First time Pontoon Camping

safaucette

Reaction score
My family is interested in camping on our pontoon. My concern is bugs in the evening while we are on the river. I will need something with screened windows to help keep the bugs out, but also let air in so it doesn't get too hot. Does anyone have experience with this or any suggestions? 

Here is one thread on enclosures by BCPNick who goes pontoon camping for a week at a time: 

Use the search engine, type "enclosure" and click search for 14 pages 

Nice work, Link!

Beware!!!!  Thankfully I was fishing late and not camping, but once it gets dark, you might find your boat gets wet with condensation.  Mine was soaked after a few hours.  You definitely want something to keep the moisture and bugs out.  :)

Beware!!!!  Thankfully I was fishing late and not camping, but once it gets dark, you might find your boat gets wet with condensation.  Mine was soaked after a few hours.  You definitely want something to keep the moisture and bugs out.  :)

Indeed.  See "Dew Point" LOL  :lol:

Also, where are you boating?  Are you trying to just keep the bugs out, or keep the wind out to extend a boating season.  If it's just bugs, I'd get as much mesh screening as you can for windows.  It'll get pretty hot in there otherwise - especially if you're already in a warm climate (i.e. Florida) to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup... anytime I've stayed out overnight we wake up wet due to dew!  Since I rarely sleep out I've been thinking of taking the cheap way out.  Maybe buying a 4 person tent of a certain size and cutting the floor out and using it somehow. Or maybe just tarps to keep the dew away.

Back