Fish Locator Transducer only installed at factory?

tyjy

Reaction score
Anticipating an order on our first pontoon boat and the subject of a fish locator came up. We have a pretty new Lowrance Elite 5 DSI model that we like and would like to be able to switch it between our fishing boat and this new pontoon boat. Does anyone know if we were to provide a transducer if the factory would install that from stern to helm (& then we would intall a RAM mount on the console somewhere ourselves)?

Regarding bracket location: I've read on this forum and seen some photo's of brackets to the right or left of the windshield area, is there any ideal place that does not interfere with the mooring cover?

Thanks so much : )

Talk to your dealer.  Probably more likely that he would do it for you.  You didn't mention which model pontoon boat and not sure of the size of your Lowrance but I had a Garmin 531s cut into the dash of my Rl  

The dealer can do it.  I had them put a different transducer on when it was the dealership last year while they were fixing some warrranty issues. Only problem is the first time i launched it in the water after getting the boat back, it didn't work.  After quick inspection, they left the transducer unplugged to the GPS / FF unit.  DOH!

We're looking at a 22 SFX but not ordering any of the depth finders/locators offered by Bennington. Also, we're leaning towards adding the Express Performance Package (which has the modified underdeck wave shield "wave tamer" I think they call it OR we're thinking of having it fully covered, not sure).

We just didn't know if the bottom of the new pontoon boat is covered by a wave shield if that transducer would need to be run through first. Wouldn't a dealer have to pull apart the wave shield to hide the line? (We were considering installing the RAM mount/bracket ourselves, ok idea?)

It can be istalled afterwards, and yes you want the full wave shield.

We just didn't know if the bottom of the new pontoon boat is covered by a wave shield if that transducer would need to be run through first. Wouldn't a dealer have to pull apart the wave shield to hide the line? (We were considering installing the RAM mount/bracket ourselves, ok idea?)
My wife and I just installed a fishfinder / transducer  on our 2014 22 SSX yesterday. We have the saltwater package, so full shielding underneath.It took us about 45 minutes to run the cable. There is plenty of room to get hands, fish tape, and tape measure around the top of the pontoons and above the wave shield. We are going to add NMEA 2000 cabling from the engine to the GPS later. I was going to run a pilot line with the transducer cable to make the NMEA cable install easier,but frankly, It was so easy I didn't bother. BTW, the tape measure was my wife's idea. The fish tape was a bit curled and we were having a little bit of a problem getting it across the beam of the boat. The straight, rigid tape measure did the trick!

Don't you love it when the wife suggests a solution and it works! Great tip on using the tape measure.

Calypso: Thanks! That info is super helpful!

Back