Flat ride on water VS. nose up tritoon ride

lakelifeMN

Reaction score
First I want to say hello to everyone here. I am looking at purchasing my first (and hopefully last) Bennington over the fall/winter season so it is ready to go come spring time. I have been researching and reading this forum for some time now and everyone has very helpful and insightful comments. I have really appreciated it as I am new to boating but want to get everything right. My question for today is how flat does a Bennington with ESP ride? I have rented tritoons that ride flat and drove a Premier (24ft or so with a 225) that seemed to always have the nose up. This made it hard to see over the front of the boat. Even worse it had the wrap around windshield which the top of was eye level. All the dealers in my area are not on the water so I have never actually rode on a Bennington let alone with ESP. I have been going back and forth on raised helm or not but if this is how I had to drive every day I would definitely want it. I hope the Bennington rides flat but want to get some input as I have not seen this addressed. Does length of boat make a difference? What factors might affect this? Thank you in advance for your input.

Welcome! My dealer has told me that depending on the motor size and the floor plans, some have more material to the rear. Which puts the stern lower in the water. Alot of times you will see the bigger motors on the longer boats.But still more weight.Other members will have more information for you.

It's a give/take situation.
Level would be ideal, that is until you take a wave over the bow!
Nose way up in the air will never take a wave over the bow, but you can't see a dadgummed thing!
So a compromise somewhere in the middle seems reasonable.
If you want less of a "nose in the air" attitude, consider twin ellipticals.

It's a give/take situation.
Level would be ideal, that is until you take a wave over the bow!
Nose way up in the air will never take a wave over the bow, but you can't see a dadgummed thing!
So a compromise somewhere in the middle seems reasonable.
If you want less of a "nose in the air" attitude, consider twin ellipticals.

That is a good point. The reason I ask this question is the Premier was nose up at 5 miles, 15 miles and WOT. I get you want the nose up a bit at speed but unless we were stopped it was always up. Haven't been on many tritoons to compare or know what is "normal" but it was a bit more difficult than other tritoons I have been on, hence the question. Thanks again!

Different loads (furniture and passengers) in different locations makes a difference.
You say 3 tubes. Are you talking SPS or express tube? SPS will be closer to level than express tube.

Have you considered the new L series Bowrider?

The front seats/passengers are recessed, which would help out with visibility from the helm.

We are looking at getting the 26 LXL with either a 250 or 300. I would want the ESP performance package. We like the seating the L provides and the storage of the changing area.

Very nice! That's going to be one heck of a sweet boat!

We are looking at getting the 26 LXL with either a 250 or 300. I would want the ESP performance package. We like the seating the L provides and the storage of the changing area.

Attaboy Lakeliving

I have a G25 with ESP and it always sits nose up, moving or not, which I think is an advantage. I also have the elevated helm so the sight line is pretty good. Frankly, I think the elevated bow is an advantage all the way around. I have never come close to having a wave come over the bow and possibly damage the fencing, let alone panic any passengers. Additionally, the bow area seems to be pretty popular when we have a crowd so the natural tilt also helps when the front is heavily loaded. Another advantage is that water flows to the stern, rather than pooling, so it seems like it's easier to hose down and dry out. I came from a bowrider so being nose up was natural to me.

Did trimming the motor help at all on that rented Premier tritoon? I cannot speak to the ESP. I have a 24’ SSBXP SPS with a 200 on the back. It’s rear heavy with my motor and swingback seat, although not as much as a 250 or 300 will be. Mine sits back heavy and on an angle when not in motion. When underway, it really depends on my trim. I can trim th motor down, and it brings the noise down significantly. I can then trim up and pull up the noise pretty decently. Just depends on load, speed, and conditions.

I would for sure get the raised helm regardless. I think it just helps in general with people sitting up front, regardless of how high the front sits. I also think it is nicer looking and make the helm location more distinctive anyway. I’d assume you will sit on an angle, but I am not sure it will be as bad as you describe with the Premier rental. That said, you are looking at A LOT of motor, so there is no way its sitting flat.

Thanks Michiman and Vikingstaff for your input on this. Originally I was leaning away from the raised helm but now I'm leaning toward it. 95% of the time it will just be me and the missus so seeing over passengers isn't really an issue. In reading the forum here some cons we stubbed toes and I tend to have a wide stance so not sure if I am turned visiting on an "L" if my feet will be dangling or if the few inches will make a difference. I am excited to go to a dealer once they get some more stock in and try sitting on a few different layouts to make sure it is comfortable. Vikingstaff - I tried with the trim up half way and down all the way. As I am new to boating I have been learning a lot from these forums and feedback like yours. I will have to experiment more with this next time I get to go out.

We have a shorter boat, 24" with the ESP hull. You can see how it sits while floating in my avatar. While running if you trim it all the way down it rides pretty flat, but even trimmed up a little where I run most of the time it doesn't ever feel like it rides bow high. The more I drive it, the less I use the trim, the sweet spot seems to be good for every speed. The extra buoyancy of the ESP hull is great in rough water and holds it's speed on turns, you will love it.

I'm 6'3" tall so I didn't get the elevated helm (also wanted a flat floor), but in 20/20 hindsight, I would probably get it. It's kind of a pain when someone is in the seat right in front of the driver and blocking your view.

I'm 6'3" tall so I didn't get the elevated helm (also wanted a flat floor), but in 20/20 hindsight, I would probably get it. It's kind of a pain when someone is in the seat right in front of the driver and blocking your view.

I'm noticing the bolster seat option isn't mentioned much. I ordered the bolster on both captains and co-captains chairs. Sitting on the bolster I can easily see over everyone sitting up front.

No stubbed toes in five years but yes, if you swivel the captain's chair your feet will have a tendency to dangle a bit. That said, IMO it is well worth having the raised helm.

Prop selection can determine stern or bow lift as well. 4-blades typically offer greater hole shot and stern lift at the expense of top speed. Greater amounts of blade rake generally increase top speed but have less stern lift. As other have mentioned it’s a series of tradeoffs, but it’s important to read and research and understand how all of these characteristics of a boat influence their behavior. Asking questions on this forum is a great first start! Good luck with your search and purchase!

I have a G23 ESP with a 250 Verado. That's 600 pounds back there plus 56 gallons of gas in the rear. It definitely sits bow up at the dock. I'm able to get it pretty flat with trim, but I wouldn't say it rides flat as you say, and if it did it would be plowing water. There are a few tri-toons that have longer and more skinny nose cones to cut the water when riding flat. If that's your preference look around. The Barletta rides pretty flat and has a tapered rail in the front center for visability plus a lot of nice standard features, but its a new company. The ESP adds a lot of weight, and I"m not convienced it was worth it from a performance gain perspective.

I have a G23 ESP with a 250 Verado. That's 600 pounds back there plus 56 gallons of gas in the rear. It definitely sits bow up at the dock. I'm able to get it pretty flat with trim, but I wouldn't say it rides flat as you say, and if it did it would be plowing water. There are a few tri-toons that have longer and more skinny nose cones to cut the water when riding flat. If that's your preference look around. The Barletta rides pretty flat and has a tapered rail in the front center for visability plus a lot of nice standard features, but its a new company. The ESP adds a lot of weight, and I"m not convienced it was worth it from a performance gain perspective.

As someone who is new and learning about boating, as Potomacbassin’ stated, asking questions on this forum is a good start. Everyone has had great and helpful comments. I have my heart set on a Benny as I feel the interiors are far and away nicer than most pontoon companies out there, not to mention the quality construction and warranty. I realize all the weight in the back of the boat could effect this but didn't realize all the other things everyone mentioned. I would like to hear your thoughts on ESP and why you feel the way you do. The reason I wanted the ESP is extra buoyancy (more people, more gear), can handle waves better (some of the lakes we go on have decent waves due to the never-ending wind in the upper midwest), and the performance and v-bottom handling isn't a bad reason either.

Back