Flotation

Pat m

Reaction score
Just purchased my first pontoon boat a 20' with a 50 on it. I was out with my daughters and some of her friends so 6 teen girls and 4 adults. So we were a little over the weight limit but not a lot. And we where sitting really low in the water and at one point with only the kids in the front half the boat went under. Is this normal and if not what can I do to increase the flotation of the boat 

thanks 

I do not intend to be rude. But, what is the weight capacity of the boat and how much weight did you have on it, including gear.

More info on the boat would be helpful. I'm assuming it's a 2 log boat with 10 people on it and most of them up front. You will submarine the bow of the boat. you will have to move weight to the stern. I don't know if Bennington makes an express tube (center tube) for a 20' boat

Last edited by a moderator:
You're gonna need a bigger boat...

Just watched Jaws the other night.

Yup what Carl said......move weight towards the back....

You don't mention where your located. But here in Maryland,DNR is always on the lookout for situations like you described. Not only do you need to pay attention to the body count on the sticker. You must stay under your rated weight restrictions.If not, you will get a ticket and boat inspection for proper equipment. Welcome to boater 101. If you haven't, I suggest that you take a boaters course on the proper operation of your boat. It really helps people in making the right decisions when boating. Have a great and safe summer!

My 20' double tooner has a restriction of 10 people and/or around 1350#.

Obviously, you were at maximum capacity to have that happen. Like others have indicated, sometimes as captain, you have to order the deckhands around the boat. Running at capacity is probably not the best thing to do, so going forward you might consider limiting the number/size of guests. No one wants to go for an unexpected swim...

Back