Front Bimini came off

bwsdj

Reaction score
Went out with the family yesterday on the Homosassa river, had a blast. When we got home we discovered the front Bimini (frame and all) had blown off the boat somewhere on our trailer ride home. We immediately backtracked our trip and had no luck finding it. I could see where it looks like it struck the rear Bimini frame on its way off the back of the trailer/boat. Glad no one was injured but a little bummed about the whole thing.

THAT REALLY SUCKS!!! Was it open or in the closed position with boot on? Did it rip the mounting hardware of too?

In the closed position with boot on. We have to lay it all the way forward so we don’t hit tree limbs.

WOW!

We don’t have a font bimini so I cannot say I understand how it secures in place for trailering. I just assume it is built to be trailered in a secure position. Crazy to have come off, let alone not finding it when immediately backtracking. I wonder what kind of claim that is - boat warranty, or car insurance, or what...?

Glad no one was apparently hurt. That could have been a major accident issue, particularly if on a freeway or high speeds. Yikes.

In the closed position with boot on. We have to lay it all the way forward so we don’t hit tree limbs.

Did you have the short trailering arms locked in, or laying completely flat??

I feel your pain. We hadn't had our first Benny very long when we trailered it over to the Mississippi River. On our way over, the table flew out on the interstate. We didn't see it on our way home. That $90 table doesn't compare to the Bimini, but it's tough to lose something like that, then have to replace it. Like you, I was very glad that no one was injured by the projectile.

Did you have the short trailering arms locked in, or laying completely flat??
My front Bimini doesn’t have the short trailering arms like the back. Only has the one set of front that cause the Bimini to stick up and hit low branches/limbs so we lay it flat forward.

That sucks. How far was the drive? I can't believe it wasn't on the side of the road

That sucks. How far was the drive? I can't believe it wasn't on the side of the road
Unless it did hit someone and they're keeping it for evidence. :)

About 30 minutes 25 miles. I have a feeling someone saw it on side of road and picked it up.

So you didn’t secure it in any way, it was just laying down?

Same thing happen with our last pontoon the table blew out , didn’t know till we was back home a hour later ,got lucky whet looking for it and found it in the ditch not hurt a bit and it was dark out then drove down the road with flashlights

So sorry this happened to you, but glad no one was hurt. It would be interesting to know what Bennington recommends as to proper method for towing.

Really wish the front Bimini could have the little trailering legs like the rear Bimini does.

I understand exactly what happened to bwsjd. Our front bimini, when stored, stood 13 feet off the pavement when the trailer was attached to our truck IF the front adjusters weren’t loosened and the bimini lowered...but only about 18”. If bwsjd’s bungies failed and the top/frame rotated backwards the base attachment could disconnect allowing the entire front top to “freely fly.”

We have asked our dealer to order the parts and modify the front bimini by adding the entire short trailering arm mechanism from the rear top. This will still require some type of bungie or strap to secure this, but it will be much much lower. Our Benny is at the dealer today having this modification done and I will post pics as soon as it’s done.

Bennington really needs to develop a solution for this problem. Hopefully my modification will work???

Please keep us posted Dan. When we order our Bennington, I'm thinking front bimini and appreciate all the good info. so we don't lose ours.

On the lakes near our home there are many low bridges which require dropping the front top flat onto the seat tops. When running at 30 mph in a bit of a chop you can watch the front top bounce slightly. Leaves you wondering what might happen if it bounced too high and caught a wind...scary thought.

PS We wouldn’t be without the double bimini. Sometimes we deploy only the rear bimini and it’s fun to watch most people move to the shade.

Back