Front Bimini came off

Can’t wait to see your pics Danny.

9518C4A9-E1BD-4329-8A46-A6AEF94088D7.jpeg
I saw this picture on the Home page. Apparently Bennington used to have a traveling arm on the front bimini. My issue is slightly different as the front arm utilizes the Ball and Socket attachment, so that is what my dealer is installing. However it won’t be done until next.

I was riding on my buddy's Excursion pontoon 2 summers ago when his front bimini collapsed while underway. I was sitting in the front and it fell on me but luckily the sharp edges of the aluminum missed. Basically, the square aluminum tubing just fatigued and failed. Fortunately we were only doing about 15-20 when it happened and the only damage it did to his boat (other than the ruined bimini frame) was a small scratch on the helm. It happened super quick and without warning. And yes for those wondering, I did treat myself to a beer afterwards. Actually two...

Danny, wanted to see if you had gotten the front Bimini trailering arms installed ?

Thanks

Danny, wanted to see if you had gotten the front Bimini trailering arms installed ?

Thanks

Im going by the dealer this morning to check on progress. Otherwise we should get the boat this weekend. Either way, I will post pictures as soon as I get them. Which type of front arms do you have on your front bimini; ball and socket or traditional push/pull type?

We have the ball and socket

Here are the pictures of the Short Towing Position Arms we just added to our Front Bimini.

1D3934F5-0F44-41E1-89F2-B9C6F459D41C.jpeg

The black strap is necessary to keep the pair of square rails together while towing. But we need to add some kind of bumper between the rails, like the grey ones that Bennington has used elsewhere. But for our upcoming trip to the Keys this is awesome. The parts cost $120 with shipping plus 30 minutes labor.

0A33C6D7-AEDD-41FD-86F6-E3A88C8DF4F3.jpeg

With this Ball and Socket system it is vitally important to insure the Ball is LOCKED in the Socket. I discovered while towing her home that one wasn’t locked.

This is a modification Bennington needs to add to all Front Biminis. As I stated originally, the height of my front Bimini when the boat trailer was attached to our Expedition was 13 feet from the pavement. However I was able to loosen the adjuster and lower it to about 11.5 feet, which is still too high.

Here are the pictures of the Short Towing Position Arms we just added to our Front Bimini.

View attachment 21895

The black strap is necessary to keep the pair of square rails together while towing. But we need to add some kind of bumper between the rails, like the grey ones that Bennington has used elsewhere. But for our upcoming trip to the Keys this is awesome. The parts cost $120 with shipping plus 30 minutes labor.

View attachment 21896

With this Ball and Socket system it is vitally important to insure the Ball is LOCKED in the Socket. I discovered while towing her home that one wasn’t locked.

This is a modification Bennington needs to add to all Front Biminis. As I stated originally, the height of my front Bimini when the boat trailer was attached to our Expedition was 13 feet from the pavement. However I was able to loosen the adjuster and lower it to about 11.5 feet, which is still too high.
This is exactly what I was thinking of. Can’t beleive Bennington hasn’t made that standard. If you don’t trailer your boat it’s no big deal. But for those of us that do I think it’s a major improvement

Danny, did u order this through your Bennington dealer? Would you mind sending me the info?, want to see about having it put on my replacement Bimini. Thanks

Yes, I did order this from my dealer and had him install it also.

Here’s a couple more photos. The first one shows how much lower the front bimini rides. Originally (before the travel arms were installed) the front bimini was 13 feet from the pavement. Afterwards (today) the front bimini was 104” (8’8”) from the pavement when attached to our motorhome.

E33F5EB6-E560-40C2-A8FF-78E3972CA392.jpeg

This is a view looking forward at the Travel Arm
C798D586-E411-4FC9-86A2-4EB980D3E17F.jpeg

And here’s the whole rig!

DBCBCE6D-579A-4373-AFA3-397A7E4D0DFC.jpeg

Danny, is that an Apopka marine sticker on the back?

Nice set up. How long is the motor coach and trailer? The motor coach looks to be at least 40 foot and the trailer 36 foot.

Well I’m hoping you don’t have any close relatives working for FHP. The motorhome and boat measure 82’...that’s 17’ over the max limit of 65 feet in Florida. However, I have seen soooooo many rigs of equil or greater length cruisin down the highway. We will see????

Danny, is that an Apopka marine sticker on the back?

Nope! We purchased from Gary’s Boating Center in Lake Wales. Billy Kahler is the owner...a great guy!

Well I’m hoping you don’t have any close relatives working for FHP. The motorhome and boat measure 82’...that’s 17’ over the max limit of 65 feet in Florida. However, I have seen soooooo many rigs of equil or greater length cruisin down the highway. We will see????[/QUOT

I was just curious about the overall length. The wife and I have been considering a motorhome or 5th wheel trailer. I told her we could pull the boat behind a motorhome but not behind a 5th wheel. She thinks I'm crazy because of the length. I showed her the picture of your set up, therefore, I was curious of the overall length. Let us know how it all works out on the trip to the Keys. My boat on the trailer is 38 foot. You give me hope that a motorhome could work for us.

To be absolutely legal in Florida your motorhome would need to be 32 feet or less. We’ve driven motorhomes over 250k miles and I have seen MANY overlength rigs

Back