Fuel gauge ??

tut, first let me welcome you to the club!

Now, about that fuel gauge, before you go replacing that sending unit, you should be aware that when the boat is on the water it will sit bow up, in other words, not level. This allows fuel to run to the back of the tank, away from the float. This may be part of your problem.

Try putting a few people on the bow, and see if that makes a difference.

As far as the clip you mentioned, it should come out with the use of a small screwdriver to pry it out of the connector. But if you do hard wire it, be sure to use good quality heat shrink type connectors.

If/when you replace the sender, get an ohm meter and make some comparisons between the two, float down, 1/4 up, 1/2 up etc. This way you will know if the sender is the problem.

Of course i would be remiss if i didn't ask, has your dealers service department looked into this for you? You did say this was a new boat, let them have a look at it for you ;)

Let us know how it turns out!

I have a new 2275 GCW. The fuel guage reads full but when the needle goes down to empty only 13 gallons can be pumped. Any thoughts? I've filled it 4-5 times now with the same result. I'm going to install a new sending unit which brings me to another question. The plugs have a "clip" for the lack of a better term that needs to be removed in order to pull the leads out. I'm not having any luck and my patience is at it's end. Can I just cut the wires from the plugs and connect the wires directly?
Before you replace the sending unit, I would check the ground to the sending unit. The sending unit is a variable resistor to the fuel guage and if you have a loose or dirty ground it will give you a false reading. It's a lot cheaper than a new sending unit. To answer your question though, yes you can cut and splice the wires with a good "sealed" splice.

tut, first let me welcome you to the club!

Now, about that fuel gauge, before you go replacing that sending unit, you should be aware that when the boat is on the water it will sit bow up, in other words, not level. This allows fuel to run to the back of the tank, away from the float. This may be part of your problem.

Try putting a few people on the bow, and see if that makes a difference.

As far as the clip you mentioned, it should come out with the use of a small screwdriver to pry it out of the connector. But if you do hard wire it, be sure to use good quality heat shrink type connectors.

If/when you replace the sender, get an ohm meter and make some comparisons between the two, float down, 1/4 up, 1/2 up etc. This way you will know if the sender is the problem.

Of course i would be remiss if i didn't ask, has your dealers service department looked into this for you? You did say this was a new boat, let them have a look at it for you ;)

Let us know how it turns out!

Thank you for the prompt response. I will certainly try putting weight up front. I'll have another go at the connector this weekend. I have discussed this with my dealer but unfortunately the boat is three hours away. They ordered the new sending unit so hopefully this will be an easy fix. Good call on the heat shrink connectors.

Before you replace the sending unit, I would check the ground to the sending unit. The sending unit is a variable resistor to the fuel guage and if you have a loose or dirty ground it will give you a false reading. It's a lot cheaper than a new sending unit. To answer your question though, yes you can cut and splice the wires with a good "sealed" splice.

Thanks. I won't be able to check the ground out until I get to camp but in the meantime can you tell me where the ground wire is located. I can't remember exactly how the unit on the tank is configured. Where would the ground go from the plug that the sending unit connects to? The boat is only 3 weeks on the water but maybe there is a loose connection.

Hi Tut, welcome aboard. See you found the forum I told you about. I don't have the answer but there are plenty of sharp guys in this forum so hopefully they can help.

Don't forget the Bennington Owner's Locator Interacrtive map it's lonely here in NYS, not very many of us.

Go to: Forum - Pontoon Forum - Bennington Owner's Locator Interactive Map and drop your pin on the lake.

Looking forward to seeing your boat!

Hi Tut, welcome aboard. See you found the forum I told you about. I don't have the answer but there are plenty of sharp guys in this forum so hopefully they can help.

Don't forget the Bennington Owner's Locator Interacrtive map it's lonely here in NYS, not very many of us.

Go to: Forum - Pontoon Forum - Bennington Owner's Locator Interactive Map and drop your pin on the lake.

Looking forward to seeing your boat!
SOME GOOD FEEDBACK SO FAR. THAT PIC OF YOU ON THE RL 2275 MAKES YOU LOOK REGAL. I'LL GET ON THAT INTERACTIVE MAP. THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION.

Thanks. I won't be able to check the ground out until I get to camp but in the meantime can you tell me where the ground wire is located. I can't remember exactly how the unit on the tank is configured. Where would the ground go from the plug that the sending unit connects to? The boat is only 3 weeks on the water but maybe there is a loose connection.
On the wiring diagram I have for my boat (2007 2275rl) the black ground goes to the black wire coming off the battery. The other wire (pink on mine) goes to the guage. If your boat is that new, why don't you let the dealer mess with it? That's why I bought a Benny. B)

On the wiring diagram I have for my boat (2007 2275rl) the black ground goes to the black wire coming off the battery. The other wire (pink on mine) goes to the guage. If your boat is that new, why don't you let the dealer mess with it? That's why I bought a Benny. B)
Unfortunately the Benny is 2 1/2 hours north of the dealer. If I can't correct it I'll keep topping it off through the summer and when I bring it down in the fall to winterize it I'll have them look it over. Thanks for the input.

Back