Fueling Options

skipperbill

Reaction score
Just planning ahead and wondering how I'm going to refuel this monster gas tank on the new boat. I have a place on a lake that does not have a feuling station. Any ideas or suggestions on rolling gas tanks? It seems the reviews on some of them out there at overtons or west marine are not very good. I'm trying to avoid multiple trips with 5-gallon cans. Thanks!

I use 5 gal cans and a super siphon.

Wow! I had no idea this product existed. I was hoping for some sort of rolling caddy but I might get this instead and just lug the 4 5-gallon tanks to the dock. At least with the cans, you are able to keep them elevated above the tank, unlike a rolling caddy. Thanks for the idea!

The super siphon will empty the 5 gallons in about 4-5 minutes. My fuel fill is on the side so I put the cans on the sunpad and let gravity do the rest.

The rolling gas carts are heavy to get out of the truck and you need hard surfaces to roll them on. If you are lugging cans, your fuel usage will get very important to you.

Same here. Works great, and I don't spill a drop in the lake. Although I would recommend an intial fill up at a gas station prior to launching at the beginning of the season, and then topping off periodically with a pair of 5G cans.

Another benefit of doing this is being able to choose your gas. I go out of my way to buy ethanol free gas - thank you Fleet Farm!

Last edited by a moderator:
There aren't any ethanol-free gas stations near our lakehouse. I definitely plan on filling up prior to launching the first time. However, this might be in late April and the serious boating here in MI won't be until June. In order to keep any remaining older fuel from going bad, would my best options be Sta-bil or Seafoam? Should I treat the whole initial tank?

Stabil, and yes, treat the whole tank.

Thanks guys for your patience. I won't exhaust this topic any longer as it seems it's been visited extensively in other threads. Good info. on here! I'm starting to wonder if my old waverunner that I practically gave away as junk, considering it to be "finicky", might have benefited from some Sta-bil or Seafoam. Live and learn...sometimes after the fact.

And use "Marine" Stabil ........ The blue stuff ....

Good article Remediation, Thanks for posting

I'd never buy fuel at the marina at our lake ...... .75 cents - $1 more/gallon, and sitting since last year BEFORE they treated it with Stabil at END OF SEASON !!!!

Interesting sideline. My dealer and a friend sampled all the gas, including non-ethanol and surprisingly found alcohol in every sample. To a lesser degree in some.

I've always, since my last carbureted mercury buy fleet farm no ethanol, Stabil in eac tank, by the way to much won't hurt your engine, or help it. I also installed a large secondary seperator. Call me paranoid, but I hate paying for repairs.

Just an opinion.

Just read my last post. I really can spell. IT'S THIS DARN IPAD. I HATE TYPING ON IT,

Interesting sideline. My dealer and a friend sampled all the gas, including non-ethanol and surprisingly found alcohol in every sample. To a lesser degree in some.

I've always, since my last carbureted mercury buy fleet farm no ethanol, Stabil in eac tank, by the way to much won't hurt your engine, or help it. I also installed a large secondary seperator. Call me paranoid, but I hate paying for repairs.

Just an opinion.
I tend to not trust what's coming out of the pump either. Supposedly our marina has ethanol-free gas that's also a bit higher octane than the standard 87. He said that's why he charges so much more for it but I'd love to it tested just to see. We do have Countrymark Coops locally here, so at least ethanol-free gas is available if I wanted to take cans to the boat.

I added the Yamaha fuel separator option, even though the Verado has another one right on board. I had a Racor version with the clear bowl on my ski boat and drained water out of it more often than I would have liked.

I've always used the marine Stabil in mine so I guess I'm paranoid too.

I get my tank down to 1/4 full about twice a week... Is it really necessary for me to use Stabil every time? Seems extraneous.

I know it's summer when American Express sends me emails and text messages saying "We have noticed unusual fuel spending on your account. Please call customer service to verify your activity"

Just planning ahead and wondering how I'm going to refuel this monster gas tank on the new boat. I have a place on a lake that does not have a feuling station. Any ideas or suggestions on rolling gas tanks? It seems the reviews on some of them out there at overtons or west marine are not very good. I'm trying to avoid multiple trips with 5-gallon cans. Thanks!
Perhaps I missed something, but rather than making trip after trip lugging 5 gallon cans of gas, wouldn't it be easier to just load up on the trailer and take your boat to a gas station ( one that preferably has non ethanol gas ). I keep my boat in a storage building, so I have to trailer back and forth... so stopping at the local gas station to fuel up is no problem....I do drive way out of my way to buy E-free gas..... but I only go thru 2 or 3 tanks of fuel in a summer so it's no big deal.

Perhaps I missed something, but rather than making trip after trip lugging 5 gallon cans of gas, wouldn't it be easier to just load up on the trailer and take your boat to a gas station ( one that preferably has non ethanol gas ). I keep my boat in a storage building, so I have to trailer back and forth... so stopping at the local gas station to fuel up is no problem....I do drive way out of my way to buy E-free gas..... but I only go thru 2 or 3 tanks of fuel in a summer so it's no big deal.
Easier said than done. I am not buying a trailer. Tritoon won't fit in my garage on a bunk-style. So, I'm having the marina put in/take out for me. So, unfortunately, I will be forced to make multiple trips to my dock...short walk anyway. BTW, yes, the marina has once-again confirmed that they do have a scissor-style trailer that will fit in the 10" space between inner and outer toons.

Back