Full camping enclosure question

ct0218

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering ordering a 2014 24 SSR with a full camping enclosure in a few months. We plan on spending several days at a time camping on the pontoon, and using my bass boat for most of the fishing. I really like the idea of the enclosure, but since the are somewhat pricey I want to make sure that what I buy will work and last me a few years. I want one that will be relatively rain proof during our frequent mountain rainstorms, and will provide good visibility should I have to run with the enclosure installed. Those of you that have one, how do you rate it--likes and/or dislikes?

I don't own one, but seeing them on our lake, and reading numerous post here and elsewhere I wi give my input.

1. They are not watertight but do provide adequate shelter from rain storms.

2. Driving in rain is like driving your car without windshield wipers but with the windshield 10' or away from you which means limited visibility.

3. A pontoon in the wind is already a sailboat, with the enclosure it's 2-3 times as bad.

4. On that nite, if I had the ability I would still get one as it makes the toon more useful. Rain or shine.

I hope to get one so we can cruise the ICW someday.

Hope this input helps in your decision.

I do not have one either ,how ever I am thinking about having a " custom " one made .

The dealer where I purchased our boat has their own canvas shop . It is doable and I will save a few $$$$

We have the full camping enclosure for our boat and love it.  Semper's points are spot on, pay special attention to # 3 as it will really factor in to docking your boat or trying to anchor.  One thing that we really like about ours is that we can fish from the extended aft deck or outside the rails on the front and then come in to warm up as necessary.

In the picture a friend of ours is reading, my daughter is playing and I am out fishing.  Its about 45 - 50 deg f with a good breeze and everyone is happy which would not be the case without the enclosure.

As much as I think I might like to have a tower there is no way I would buy a boat that didn't have a camping enclosure.

Are you able to be underway w/the full enclosure on????? 15-20MPH????? Just curious...............

Are you able to be underway w/the full enclosure on????? 15-20MPH????? Just curious...............

They do on our lake, keep in mind 10mph with 20-20 mph headwind ..... but they do it .......  that would be a good question to pose to TB .......

Last edited by a moderator:
We pretty much just leave ours up.  We generally cruise in the mid 20's and did 30 - 40 hours of driving with the enclosure up like this during the summer.  No issues at all.  Sometimes kids want to tube on cooler days and we just take the back down so that everyone inside can stay out of the wind.

Ah man, when my wife sees that camping enclosure and the relaxing one can do, I'll have one before the year is out :)

questions ??

where was that enclosure purchased and other than needing the front bimini, what might be issues if any when it comes to a 25'

cost ?

We ordered ours as an option for the boat straight from Bennington.  Prices are in the config tool.  I did notice that the top was actually made by Tumacs covers.

We will be trailering the pontoon about an hour each way, each trip, so if it goes up and down fairly easy that would be good. We probably wouldn't use the enclosure much on day trips, but definitely would on overnighters. I hope it is fairly dry inside during rain and thunderstorms. We have those come through all hours of the day and night here in the smoky mountains, and I sure hate getting my bed wet! Is the Bennington enclosure made of the same material as the biminis? Thanks for all the input and info.

We are still working on getting ours complete (you can read about this in my other post), but it is the same material as the biminis so it matches perfectly.

We have the single bimini on the 22SSX and the full slant cabin! We love it the top goes up really easy we store it in the changing station and it goes up very fast. I would like the 2 bimini one with the flat front as the slant is kinda hard to see out of and it would be nice if you could roll the plastic up and have screens on the front as well but then they would leak water in. We can leave the back off and you can go out and fish in the rain just drop anchor out the front and you stay nice and dry while fishing! You wont be sorry getting the cabin!

Thanks for the input, looks like it is well worth what they cost

We pulled our boat last weekend because it was too cold to cruise and perhaps the camper top would have delayed that but in addition to the cost how much effort is it to set it up and take it down.  I can't imagine that it is left on during the summer.  Just climbing under the mooring cover to put up my support poles and the temperature already feels like over 100 degrees, can't imagine what the temperature would be with the enclosure on during the summer.  So all in all is it worth the $3500 to add a week or two in the spring and fall?

Just climbing under the mooring cover to put up my support poles and the temperature already feels like over 100 degrees, can't imagine what the temperature would be with the enclosure on during the summer.  

You need to install the cover without climbing under the cover.  I start at the back of the boat and do the ends and both sides from inside the boat when I get to the back pole I install it and pull the cover towards the bow.  The pole stays in place while I snap both sides.  next pole installs and I snap more on both sides till i get to the next pole.  I am never under the cover.  The front snaps I get to from the dock.  You will still sweat on a sunny day but no crawling on the carpet.

I'm also a crawl under kinda guy. Just how I've always done it. Your way sounds better, but maybe I'll try it next year.

We're not that warm here in the mountains. The highest temperature at my house this summer was 84*, most days are in the 70's. During the morning and afternoon it is even cooler. An enclosure would extend the season a couple months, or more.

I guarantee if we had the ability to keep the toon on the lake over winter, we would definitely invest in the enclosure, and get a portable heater, and spend winter weekends on the toon, no questions asked !!!!

We pulled our boat last weekend because it was too cold to cruise and perhaps the camper top would have delayed that but in addition to the cost how much effort is it to set it up and take it down.  I can't imagine that it is left on during the summer.  Just climbing under the mooring cover to put up my support poles and the temperature already feels like over 100 degrees, can't imagine what the temperature would be with the enclosure on during the summer.  So all in all is it worth the $3500 to add a week or two in the spring and fall?
You can still open the sides and back for airflow. My only issue would be we like to get sun, so it would be a little harder for that aspect, but at least we could still enjoy the boat when it rains or is colder.

Back