gas tank capacity

ramon

Reaction score
filled up my gas tank for the first time on my 2375GCW. At the start the gas gauge needle  was laying on the E. The tank was full at 23.6 gallons, yes I made sure the tank was full. The thing is I paid $564.00 for a 37 gallon tank as it shows on my included options page. So before I go charging off to the dealer I wanted to know other guys experiences with this. Could there be that much reserve room left in the tank? im thinking that may be what the dealer will try to tell me.

I don't buy that 'excuse.'  Even with the gas gauge on "E" you still could have a few gallons of fuel in there but I doubt there was as much in there as the difference of the stated size fuel tank and how much you were able to put in there.  Interested in seeing how this all ends up.  If your dealer insists they put the 37 gallon tank in there I would think you could call Bennington directly (or email them) and provide them with your hull identification number and they should be able to tell you exactly what options were installed on your boat.

Assumption on my part but not knowing the design of the tank...you can certainly have 14 gallons of fuel still in the take even though it on E.  In comparison, I have driven my car well past the limits of the gas gauge just to find out how far I can go on E.  Yes, I had a 5 gal can of gas with me just in case.  I went about 25 miles before I said "that's good enough" and stopped to fill up.  I would think a little more research is in order on your part before a conclusion can be made.  I will wait for others to comment but I will definitely be watching for your additional comments.

The needle on the gas gauges are at best an indication and not really super accurate.  Not sure if you can see your tank but I can look in the privacy chamber of my R and see how much is in it.  If you can see it you would also be able to judge the size that it is.

If you look at your tank you will see the float level indicator, try unscrewing it and make sure the float isn't stuck on the bottom.  It should slide fairly easily up and down and that is what determines how much gas is in the tank.

It also depends on the shape of the tank. If it has any amount of angle in it, like a "v" toward the bottom or is irregular in shape, the standard tank float will get real confused. They are linear in nature and made to be most accurate when the drop in the float/arm movement is consistent.

My Donzi had a tank that was shaped to fit the deep V of the hull. I swear, it would read full all day and then IMMEDIATELY swing to "E."

It also depends on the shape of the tank. If it has any amount of angle in it, like a "v" toward the bottom or is irregular in shape, the standard tank float will get real confused. They are linear in nature and made to be most accurate when the drop in the float/arm movement is consistent.

+1. I was reading my Bennington manual last weekend and noticed they indicated that irregularly shaped tanks may result in less than accurate readings. I'm not a boat builder, but it would seem like a fairly accurate indication of fuel would be important. 

Ramon, I'd say something doesn't quite add up in your case. Good luck...

My boat showed E the other day, put 15 gallons in and it went up to half...( I have a 32 gallon tank). Either that is coincidence or I lucked out and am somewhat accurate.

I don't know if they have to on all boats, but my dealer had to calibrate my fuel gauge with the tank. He said they put in so many gallons at each point 1/4 1/2 3/4 and full and mark it with the gauge.I have the 50 gallon tank and I don't know if it is different. Anyway you may have the right size tank it may just need to be calibrated.

I don't know if they have to on all boats, but my dealer had to calibrate my fuel gauge with the tank. He said they put in so many gallons at each point 1/4 1/2 3/4 and full and mark it with the gauge.I have the 50 gallon tank and I don't know if it is different. Anyway you may have the right size tank it may just need to be calibrated.

Yup, the manual talks about doing that too. 

This is true for the Mercury Smartcraft digital gauges (SC1000) used with Verados, but probably not others with analogs.

Check your tank for the certification markings and you will find the capacity of the tank.All tanks are required to be marked by law.

filled up my gas tank for the first time on my 2375GCW. At the start the gas gauge needle  was laying on the E. The tank was full at 23.6 gallons, yes I made sure the tank was full. The thing is I paid $564.00 for a 37 gallon tank as it shows on my included options page. So before I go charging off to the dealer I wanted to know other guys experiences with this. Could there be that much reserve room left in the tank? im thinking that may be what the dealer will try to tell me.

Holy crap! When I first read your post I thought you spent $564 for 37 gallons of gas not for the tank itself. Wow! That would have been over $15 a gallon! Ha!

Well I did find the tank certification marking and yes It does state 37 gallons,  so apparently there is 14 or so gallons still in the tank with the needle laying on E.   Thank you 1Blderbob for that tip and the rest of you guys too! 

Well I did find the tank certification marking and yes It does state 37 gallons,  so apparently there is 14 or so gallons still in the tank with the needle laying on E.   Thank you 1Blderbob for that tip and the rest of you guys too! 

Your welcome! And remember that there's a lot of knowledge and experience in this group. Never worry about asking a question, someone probably has experienced the situation. Happy boating!

My manual says the tolerance on the gas gauge can be off by 1/4, but my experience has been that it is very accurate (I have a 32 gallon tank).  I've also been impressed with how the gas consumption closely matches the Yamaha performance bulletin for my motor/boat combo (or at least something close).  I still don't like to run the gas level too far down before refueling, but it's nice to have confidence in what you're dealing with. 

I just filled mine .32 Gallon tank  ,gauge said half full ,it took 20 gallons 

Last edited by a moderator:
My gas tank says 62 gallons. Last weekend we took the boat to Lake Travis and spent the weekend with our kids and 8 grandkids. Filled it up with ethanol free on the way there Friday (at Buccees in Waller for you SE Texans) Put 8.6 hours on the boat. The last ride before pulling her out of the water was a slow 15-18 mph 1-hr cruise with my wife after the kids left Monday morning. The fuel gauge started that last cruise at 1/4. I headed back to the dock in time for it to indicate 1/8 full. Turned off the engine, brought the trailer down the ramp etc. Started the engine back up and now the fuel gauge reads EMPTY . Got her on the trailer.
Filled back up at Buccees ($3.679/gal). She took 59.75 gallons! Yikes!
2 gallons left! Probably 10-20 minutes left at that cruising speed. (also, American Express called and said they suspected that my card was being used fraudulently at Buccees!)

Chief Mate said no more running below 1/4 tank! Gotta agree with her, but at least I know the gauge fairly accurate.

Consumption was 59.75 / 8.6 = 6.95 gal/hr. Does that sound right for a 5.0L V8 260 hp, mostly running 20 to 30 mph with full load of people and/or pulling skiers and tubers.

Yeah, we had a great time! Lake Travis is incredible - especially if you like to gawk at one $10M house after another, mile after mile after mile!

Last edited:
My gas tank says 62 gallons. Last weekend we took the boat to Lake Travis and spent the weekend with our kids and 8 grandkids. Filled it up with ethanol free on the way there Friday (at Buccees in Waller for you SE Texans) Put 8.6 hours on the boat. The last ride before pulling her out of the water was a slow 15-18 mph 1-hr cruise with my wife after the kids left Monday morning. The fuel gauge started that last cruise at 1/4. I headed back to the dock in time for it to indicate 1/8 full. Turned off the engine, brought the trailer down the ramp etc. Started the engine back up and now the fuel gauge reads EMPTY . Got her on the trailer.
Filled back up at Buccees ($3.679/gal). She took 59.75 gallons! Yikes!
2 gallons left! Probably 10-20 minutes left at that cruising speed. (also, American Express called and said they suspected that my card was being used fraudulently at Buccees!)

Chief Mate said no more running below 1/4 tank! Gotta agree with her, but at least I know the gauge fairly accurate.

Consumption was 59.75 / 8.6 = 6.95 gal/hr. Does that sound right for a 5.0L V8 260 hp, mostly running 20 to 30 mph with full load of people and/or pulling skiers and tubers.

Yeah, we had a great time! Lake Travis is incredible - especially if you like to gawk at one $10M house after another, mile after mile after mile!

If it Harms Beavers, They're against it !!

Back