Gate Stop

Kahlua0517

Reaction score
This is the stop on my rear gate that keeps the gate in the open position.  The front and port side gates have no such device and swing freely in the breeze when not locked in the closed position.  This is very annoying especially when loading and unloading on the dock.  Do Bennington's usually come with a device to keep the gate open on every gate?  My dealer said no because of some type of "safety issue".  As always I'm skeptical and will buy two for $20 on Amazon and call it a day but I'm still very curious.  :)
gallery_5931_651_1236476.jpg

Our 2007 only came with the one for the rear gate. I added them to the other two, not a big deal.

My last boat only had one on the back gate. New boat has none at all. With my current layout I can kind of see why. They could be a toe stub hazard in the center walk way and the optional bow/port seat wouldn't work with that installed. 

Ditto here.  Mine came with one just for the rear door.  However, my dealer stocks the exact same ones from Bennington apparently because they are in such high demand.  I bought 2 more -- one for side and one for front.  They come with a stainless steel screw and takes only a few minutes to install with cordless drill/driver.

They were like $3.50 each.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tell you what, stubbing your toe on those things HURTS.  Just get a cheap rubber one like you'd use at the office and keep it in the seat base closest to where you use it.  I would never permanently install more of these things on my boat.  I've stubbed toes on the one by the rear gate (the one that holds the gate shut, not the one that holds it open) many times.

On my port door, I have one of those foot-long rubber-coated twist-ties, and I just wrap one end around the gate rail and wedge the other end in the crack between the seat back and the "lounger" pad.  It holds the side door open just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to have some way of holding the gates open but I have the snap-in carpet, and I didn't get any with my boat, not even for the stern gate. I'm going to find some way of keeping them open though.

I'm going to mount a snap base on my door frame, and a snap base on my lounger toe kick. I'm going to make a short strap that will snap to both. Been a project I want to do, just haven't got around to it.

I agree with Dan, the latch at the stern door is a toe buster. I've almost gone off the back after stubbing then stumbling through the doorway.

Just get a cheap rubber one like you'd use at the office and keep it in the seat base closest to where you use it. 
We use a standard black rubber one too, cost about $1.50. We just tuck it behind the bracing/bracket located right behind the door hinge. Really handy when we want to use it and very inconspicuous.

I use my flip flop as my floor is NOT hot so I don't need cover for my feet. I swear I also saw something in PDB about a wedge made for the top to keep the door open too. But I can not find it for the life of me.

I just use the portable cup holder to keep the now gate open for the dog. I know Carl loves that!

Back