Getting closer to being in the water

mtudb24

Reaction score
New seawall project has bloomed since last Friday.  Love the tan colored vinyl.

Hoping to be done by mid next week with 60' of dock attached to the seawall.  Looking to splash the Benny next weekend if all goes well

Pics are in my galley. Sorry, still haven't figured out how to load them directly to a post

Todd

club.benningtonmarine.com/uploads/gallery/album_812/gallery_222_812_1589299.jpg

gallery_222_812_735834.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Massive project!

I added 1 for ya Todd.    :ph34r:

I knew you would Ninja Carl!!!!!!..     Dammit.  I was just reading that post of pics in 5 easy steps stuff.  I'm trying man!. 

Dan -  Yeah, I can't believe how far its gotten in about 25 hours of actual work time.  about 5 hours on Friday and 10 each on Monday and Tuesday (today)

If all goes well, the stairs will be replaced on the RH side with all new wood.  60 feet of dock that will extend out about 3 feet and stairs leading down from the seawall to the dock will be on both ends of the dock.  Its all adjustable with lake levels.  The steel L brackets mounting to the Seawall for the dock will have multiple holes that you can move each section (16') up and down in 6" increments... 

Sometimes I need motivation that this is really worth it....  My cousin's cottage is 2 doors down and has a empty space on their 90' of dock and seawall...

Neat to see the work being done! I wish I had been able to see the daily progress on ours. I did see most of the retaining wall being built off the water but had to leave before Seawall was constructed.

Looks fantastic, once done nothing to do but enjoy 

Are you required to put in "RipRap" in front of Sea Wall ?

Here it is mandatory to dissipate the wakes !

We don't have a true seawall but what we have took some time to construct 

And it was costly, but in the long run worth every penny

107175344.jpg

118098320.jpg

106627922.jpg

Finally getting to Cumberland to get the big boat in the water Sunday afternoon.  Weather supposed to be in the 80's.  Looking forward to a day on the water.

Thanks Pittsburg.

No rip rap needed for this project.  You're place looks fantastic. . WOW

Poor quality of picture because I was only allowed to upload 27 KB of photos directly to here

This is from the water

Dock and new stairs are next and project will be complete

rsz_from_the_water.jpg

Looks fantastic, once done nothing to do but enjoy

Are you required to put in "RipRap" in front of Sea Wall ?

Here it is mandatory to dissipate the wakes !

We don't have a true seawall but what we have took some time to construct

And it was costly, but in the long run worth every penny

Here in Michigan the DEQ required us to put riprap in front of the Seawall we just had put in, to break the waves - if they ok a wall in the first place. It's usually not easy to get permits. We were able to get ours because the garage/boathouse foundation by the water was getting eroded, cracking and settling because of high lake level.

Swiftm

Very interesting.  I am in Michigan as well.  I thought I was going to have to pull permits and all that to put the new seawall in.  I was wrong.  The company that did mine said as long as its no further than 12" out from the existing wall and they left the existing wall intact below the waterline, they didn't have to get any permits.  The just used saw zalls to cut the wooden seawall top 3 feet off.

Are you directly on the lake or off a canal?  Maybe because I'm on a canal, no rip rap was needed?

Todd

Our marine contractors build seawalls in Winter when lake levels are lowest.  They have a dragline/crane on a barge and lift a compact tractor/backhoe into the lake bottom.  They dig a 2' deep trench the length of the seawall 3' wide.  Then they take the crane and lift 10' long, 6' tall seawall sections into the trench.  In the end, they pour concrete on each side of the seawall--2' deep. 

We built our seawall in the early 1980's, and I just know one day we're going to finally put the rip-rap in front of the wall.   In the meantime, our lake on a Summer weekend day sloshes like a bathtub.  The waves are substantially higher than when I was a kid in the early 1950's.

We are directly on the lake - not a canal. Maybe that is the difference. The person from the DEQ came out to see our lakefront and agreed to the wall (with rip rap) to protect the building only. They would let us use only rock riprap (no wall) for about a third the total frontage we wanted to protect. They had us make the total length about 15 feet shorter than we really wanted. It still all turned out well and we are pleased with the results. We had a great contractor.

We actually own a second lot next to our main one and they said the lakefront is a wetland and couldn't do anything there. We weren't going to anyway.

Our marine contractors build seawalls in Winter when lake levels are lowest.  They have a dragline/crane on a barge and lift a compact tractor/backhoe into the lake bottom.  They dig a 2' deep trench the length of the seawall 3' wide.  Then they take the crane and lift 10' long, 6' tall seawall sections into the trench.  In the end, they pour concrete on each side of the seawall--2' deep. 

We built our seawall in the early 1980's, and I just know one day we're going to finally put the rip-rap in front of the wall.   In the meantime, our lake on a Summer weekend day sloshes like a bathtub.  The waves are substantially higher than when I was a kid in the early 1950's.
The bathtub sloshing is the big reason they want the riprap. The waves run down the wall and erode the areas beyond the wall even worse.

Bamaman

My uncle was out while they were putting the vinyl seawall in.  Guess its in about 18" wide sections that interlock together.  They have a guy in the water with a jet pump and a guy on the backhoe.  They pump the section that they are putting in and use the weight of the backhoe shovel to push it down in place.  My uncle said it was pretty impressive how quickly it goes and how everything locks together.

Our wall is tongue and groove wood that they jetted in. It went quick also since we are mostly sand. They didn't need/use any backhoe type pressure to get them down.

Todd, I'm not the expert at loading pics directly into the message, but frankly sometimes I like just having the smaller thumbnail images that people can click If they want to see bigger. A lot of times I'm on my mobile and the big pics can take a while. For thumbnails, just load into your gallery (full size images) then when posting your topic just click the "My Media" tab beside the happy face. Pick "Gallery Images", then just tap all the pics you want. Works super easy, plus that way there isn't any dead links in case you move pictures around in your hosting site. 

Getting closer to learning how to post theses.  Last pic is with  new stairs leading to water's edge

Getting closer to learning how to post theses.  Last pic is with  new stairs leading to water's edge
Are your steps permanently attached? My guy hooked ours on with connectors (like are used on some docks to hook sections together) so I can just lift them up and off for the winter to avoid ice damage. I don't think mine are as wide as yours.

Back