good or not so?

MikeD

Reaction score
hello all, I'm Mike and new to Bennington. I just bought 2003 L with tandem trailer for 9 grand, when researching cant really find much on this model other than entry level. my plan is to have recreational fun(tubing, skiing )for my twins as they grow older(now 5 yrs) boat is in excellent shape and so is motor, merc 25 hrs bigfoot. I'm wanting to go bigger on motor but not really wanting to separate originality. the previous owner bought new and was incredible at upkeep, i planned on bartering but when I saw it I knew better. I also have 48 hrs evenrude spl. will there be much difference? I'm thinking 90 hrs hp or yamaha. Suggestions please.

I will add photos when weather breaks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you mean HP instead of hrs?

Did you mean HP instead of hrs?
I think he was abbreviating "horse".

And to address the original question; I never met anyone who regretted buying too much engine. Plus, if you want to pull a tube, you'll want more power. Otherwise you ain't so much pullin' it as draggin' it.

I appologize friends, I do mean horsepower its a merc 25 bigfoot, I am trying to add photos also but really to simplify things its an 205l 2003 mint condition with the following upgrades -28oz carpet ,skirting,woodgrain dash and wheel ,and docking lights with travel cover and sony cd/am/fm stereo as well as tandem hoosier trailor with brakes.I have done a little research and find myself listening for lound knocks at the door as at 9 grand I might have stole it! Happy to be a Benny owner.

Your 25 hp Merc is a great motor on a 14' flat bottom jon boat, but it really doesn't belong on a pontoon.

If you have young children, don't hesitate to repower your boat with the largest engine that the spec's allow. You have tubing in your future. The larger engines just cruise so easy and quietly at lower rpm's than a smaller 50 or 60 hp motor being wrung out @ full throttle.

Repowering a late model, high quality pontoon boat adds value. While your hull may be a few years old, a quality pontoon kept dry and out of the weather has a lifespan of 30+ years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back