GoPro Hero 3 camera on the Bennington

Yes some people use a simple $10 camera float strap if there is no mounting bracket so it can float the camera and case. Once a bracket is used it's a different situation.

Float strap http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-202204-STRAP-FLOAT-ORANGE/dp/B0014DURIW

Floaty back door http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Camera-Floaty-Back-Door/dp/B005HIS5LQ

Bobber hand grip http://www.amazon.com/The-Bobber-Floating-GoPro%C2%AE-Cameras/dp/B006XE4SSM

Whenever I have it on a bracket I use a tether. There are several kinds available with loops and clips depending on how you're using it with the brackets.

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Tether-Lanyard-GoPro/dp/B00EAZSBZC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1378901542&sr=8-6&keywords=gopro+tethers

http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Camera-ATBKT-005-Tether-Accessory/dp/B007WSNXY8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378901542&sr=8-1&keywords=gopro+tethers

Great videos. Just an FYI to everyone. Get the float attachment for the camera. I didn't. And when I was thrown off the tube, well, I'm sure it made a great video of descending to the bottom of the lake!
What lake? I might just have to go diving ..... :)

Tom,

Just a thought. If your local Fire Dept. has diver training, you can always approach them and ask if they would "search" for your camera during training. You'd be amazed at how some of these guys LOVE to do stuff like that. Then after they do this, even if they don't find it, throw a nice donation their way, or send pizzas to the firehouse on the weekend (if they are volunteers that's when u usually catch a bunch).

Things like this go a long way. Trust me, I manage a LUMBER yard, and I do everything I can for our local FIRE Dept's.

Last edited by a moderator:
A stockpile of wood and a great relationship with the local fire department...I can see the logic in that!!

SemperFi, great suggestion. But in case you want to get the jump on them, head on over to Lake Monroe in Bloomington, IN - according to ESPN, one of the prettiest places to see bad football!

Nowadays! Probably the best use of GoPro's cam is in personal drones. Drones has emerged as a new trend in whole USA.

They are fun to fly, shot pictures and to more crazy stuff as well.

I'm thinking we need to keep with the times and instead of new owners posting photos...we need video! I just watched all of Tom's videos again and man that motor sounds nice!! Those Verado's really have some legs.

I have a Gopro but I also bought one of the SJ4000 from Ebay for $65.00. There are many differnt versions of it on Ebay and Amazon. You get the water proof case and all the extra mounts included. The Quality is almost identical to the Gopro and is alot cheaper. It also has a similar smartphone/table app (iSmart DV) so you can control it from the helm. I use it more than the mirror when pulling the tube. We use it for scuba diving and recording the grandkids tubing. It is a lot less stressful. I don't worry about loosing it or damaging it as much as the Gopro. I did create a little safety strap out of ss wire with a clip to clip it to the boat in case it does come out of the mount. I mounted mine on the stern light pole on top of the bimmi top with the bycycle mount and have a great view of the kids tubing with the wide angle lens. I have to remove the flag when I do this (another reason I guess to buy me a flag pole for the boat). We have also turned it to the front and recorded just cruising down the lake. It takes great under water video. It is just another cool gadget so you can look back at your videos and enjoy the Benny even when not at the lake.

Lets see some videos!! I heard there were knock offs of the sj4000 to watch out for. I think Semp posted something about it. So you got the wifi one for $65?

There are acutually knock offs of the knock offs. We called them the fake fake gopros here at work (lol). There is a lot of reading on the net explaining the difference in the real SJ4000 and the fakes. I have one of the fakes but it works great. I ordered before I did the reading but I liked it enough to order a second one.  It has the Wifi which also works great. The app for the smartphone is different for the fakes than the real SJ4000 so you have to know which one you have for the Wifi to work with the app. I have tried to attach a video of the grandson tubing but it is too large. Anyone know a good way to convert file so it will be smaller? In the video the camera was mounted on the side rail before I moved it to the stern light. It has a much better view from up there. Unfortunately I don't have any of the new videos mounted up top at work. I will post some of those this weeked. I have the Gopro so I have a good comparison and for the money I will take the SJ4000 anytime. The die hard Gopro guys will argue with you but for recreational use and not professional it is great. It also has the viewing screen on the back so you can see what you are taping. I would suggest doing a little reading on it before you buy just so you will have a better idea of what all is out there. The seller I bought from was e-tekdepot. I even got an extra battery and a 16 gig smartcard with it. I am very happy with mine. I even bought a second for my grandson to use and for a back up. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Will post video as soon as I figure out how to make a smaller file.

I just post videos to my youtube account then post the link. Then the size won't matter. I'll have to look into this again. Wife has a tighter grip on my wallet than she does on my..... :blink:

Below is 2 youtube links to the videos. I hope I did this right. The focus is a little out on the kids due to location on boat. Unfortunally the best quality of the video is looking at the boat and motor. It was focusing on the boat and not the tube. With the camera on the stern light above the bimmi it was perfect focus on the kids. I will post videos taken from the top this weeked. One of the videos is after the sun had dropped and it was getting darker. It shows how well the camera did in the dark. I have also learned to use all of the settings since these videos were made which allow you to do a lot of differnt things and get great videos. Again for the money you can't go wrong. I understand the wallet grip but if I can convice her the grandkid will love it -no problem. Well worth the look and like I said if you have any questions let me know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfFjGt-dboY&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbO5tgKSFJc

I'm thinking we need to keep with the times and instead of new owners posting photos...we need video! I just watched all of Tom's videos again and man that motor sounds nice!! Those Verado's really have some legs.
I love my V-Rod  :)

I just post videos to my youtube account then post the link. Then the size won't matter. I'll have to look into this again. Wife has a tighter grip on my wallet than she does on my..... :blink:
Heart???? 

Back