Got 41.2 MPH on Yamaha F150! SaMOOTH ride!

tyjy

Reaction score
Pretty excited! Over the weekend we changed the oil, etc. per the Yamaha maintenance schedule. Have 16 hours on the motor and previous speed maxed out at 39 mph at 5900 rpm. After we put it back in the water we checked out the performance and accomplished 41.2 mph at 5900 rpm's!! At first the motor was down all the way and only eeked out 39.9 mph. Tried again trimmed to 3/4 and got the 41.2 mph! Boy were we smiling! Had about 1/4 tank of gas, two adults and the bimini down (& the toons are getting yukked up from staying in water for two months). So, cool weekend!

Also so happy about the way this thing rides! Lots of boat traffic due to the weekend warriors and everyone finally being able to get back out on the water due to the flooding that prevented it for couple weeks. Lots of wake and our tri-toon EASILY rode right over the waves! LOVE this boat so much!

You should be able to add to that 41.2 once you power wash all that crap off your toons. It'll make a big difference! 

I can't even imagine! It's just awesome (the speed I mean, certainly NOT the crap! eww)

You got a strong motor. What hull do you have and how did you do your motor break in? Aggressive or gentle?

You got a strong motor. What hull do you have and how did you do your motor break in? Aggressive or gentle?
We've got a 22 foot SFX tri-toon w/SPS package:

full wave shield;

(non-sealed) strakes on both sides of the center toon;

performance foils on the inside of the outer toons.

Prop: stainless steel Yamaha Reliance Series 14 1/2 x 15.

There is also the Fuel/Water Separator on there.

We followed the Yamaha recommended break-in procedure exactly for the first 10 hours, running motor at varying speeds and only a few times at WOT during the last 8 hrs as recommended (certainly not "aggressive", probably considered just normal, but did feel "gentle").  We also always warm up the engine before driving off.

Dealer told us to only use Yamaha products so that's what we did. Purchased from SIMYAMAHA.com (thanks for tip from this forum). Also, now that the maintenance is done we are adding Yamaha Ring Free Plus to the gas (87 octane/ethanol free, from a local station; we carry on gas cans & use the Super Siphon which is awesome).

When folks recommend getting the 150 hp if you can, it's a great tip, at least on our 22'! The motor just purrs and it moves our boat without even trying!  SO worth the investment!

Last edited by a moderator:
nice setup and congrats, I wish we could have afforded the 150, but the 115 is certainly pretty good for now :) ....I feel the PADS kicking in

Ya know, the only reason we tried to go as fast as possible WOT was out of pure curiousity and seeing how our motor measures up, because we RARELY want to even go that fast. It is nice to know if we had to get from point A to point B we'd be able to do it pretty quick! We mainly anchor fish or go on leisurly rides and regularly go less than half top speed. I may not know how a 115 or less would handle a 22' pontoon, but since we are coming off a 16' Alumacraft w/a 50 hp Mariner I'd venture to guess we'd be impressed with a 115 too, knowing us : ) I think it just takes less throttle thus less labor with a higher hp (and ultimately a little better gas mileage) but I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination!

As far as a smooth ride, I don't know if that's more to do with the tri-toon & waveshield and not the motor? It sure is smooth though! We were looking at each other and virtually commenting out loud: "Remember how we'd have to virtually stop and let our 16' float perpendicularly over the waves/wakes before"?! As a non-swimmer I REALLY appreciate that!!

Reactions: JSM
The wave shield for SURE is a great option.....and I have noticed that we drive over to another bay on the lake, anchor and float :) That will change in a few years with the baby but going from nothing to a Bennington has been fantastic

Can't believe it...out this week, wanted to get from Point A to Point B... and reached 40.8mph!! :D Still! And our toons are terrible with crud! (sponged it off once this summer & anticipate work once we pull the boat but...) Pretty cool! And it rode so smooth it was like heaven! (water was flat and virtually nobody on the river which was also like heaven. Wish the season wasn't nearing it's end. Have 50 hrs on the motor to date) 

I've had mine up to 39 with a small load but yesterday with a full boat (full tank, 9 adults and 2 toddlers, plus dirty toons from being in the water since April) at WOT we hit 26.5.  Also ran easy between 18 - 20 when pulling two on a tube with the same group.

I love my Bennington!

41 WOT is great, congrats! What hole is your motor mounted? I am at second hole from top.  

If I'm looking at the correct place, there's four holes and the bolt is in the top hole. (luckily I took pictures during our 20 hr maintenance!)

Thanks! I think I may need to make an adjustment.

May 2015; 1 year update:

Just got the boat out of winter storage and back on the water. Cleaned filthy dirty toons before storage and did not reapply additional Sharkhide this season. Winterized and stored WITH gas in tank & Stabil. (always use the Yamaha Ring Free Plus with the gas). Stayed clean as a whistle (sorry 'bout your ordeal Pittsburgh) over the winter in an unheated pole building concrete floor (303 cleaned and protectant, sheets that came from Bennington over seats, 3 cans of that stay dry stuff, dryer sheets EVERYwhere!) 

Was curious if we lost any speed at WOT. Result pretty darn good: 40.4 mph still! (we rarely need to go that fast but it's neat to test it, plus this motor is SO quiet and smooth, it's unbelievable! LOVE our entire set up!)

Edited to add: 40.4 mph at 5900 RPM trimmed up a little, half to 3/4 tank gas, 2 people, bimini open, normal stuff on board.

Updated end of season 2015:

I am in AwE! No bimini open this time, same info as above but toons not clean...and...drum roll...41.1! WHAAAT?! Awesome! That's only .1 less than when brand new! LOVE IT!

That's great to hear!

What is the "sheets that came from Bennington over the seats"???

When shipped from factory Bennington apparently delivers with all kinds of white sheets covering the inside. We asked our dealer for an arm full and he gave them to us. We draped those sheets all over the inside before putting on the cover and I think it probably prevented spider/insect droppings, etc plus maybe helped with moisture? Could be wrong but our boat was as spotless as when we put it in the storage building and absolutely no sign of mold or anything.

That's interesting.  Never heard that one about the white sheets.

I might even buy some white sheets for next winter's storage.  Heard some stories about the "black" coming off some of the black mooring covers.  Or maybe some clear plastic.  But, I think I'm past the point that would happen.  If that was going to happen, it probably would have by now, given that we're coming up on our 5th season with the boat.

Our dealer had so many sheets he didn't know what to do with them, I'd ask your dealer if he has some to offer!

Mine came in with the white sheets too . I never asked about them though ,not much room for storage with our floor plan .

Back