Hand Over Trade-in Before Delivery?

Kahlua0517

Reaction score
My new Benny will arrive in about two weeks.  Our dealer, who has been great through the process so far, has asked if we could deliver the trade-in a week early so that he can clean it up and potentially sell it before the end of the season (we would sign it over until we receive the new boat).  Anyone see a major problem with this?

He going to give you a boat to use in the meantime?

Anyone see a major problem with this?
Aside from not having a boat to enjoy? Only way I would agree to this would be if I knew for certain the opportunity to boat was non-existent during that time.

Also, "in about two weeks" seems vague to me. What if there's a delay?

When I bought my second Benny I worked the deal to retain possession  of the old boat until my new one came in and was ready to go, but it bit me in a way too, about a week before my new boat was to be ready my trade in was hailed on and I had to fork out a deductible for hail damage repair at the time of trade, dealer didn't mind they got more business out of it anyhow.

We'll be away so we won't need to use the old boat in the week or so prior to delivery.  Good point about the new boat not being ready on the date that it's promised.

You could always allow your dealer to "have possession" on his lot to try and move it, but get in writing a "penalty" of x dollars/discount a day if your new one is not available for delivery when scheduled.

Find out what "rental charges " are in your area .Work out a discount for the week and IF there was a delay .

Or he should know when your new ships ,give it to him when it ships .

The risk of you having to wait longer than 2 weeks for the new boat is biggest exposure.  I ordered my last 2 boats and both were late.  Some are delivered early but those are exceptions.  In addition, you may have to wait even longer to get an issue corrected if something is not right.  You could let it at the dealer lot while waiting "week or so" and pick it up to use it if the new boat is later than promised.

Dealer picked my trade up (no trailer) on a Friday and delivered my Benny (no trailer) the following Friday. That gave me some time to get my lift changed to accept my new Benny so it worked well for me.

Jack

My dealer wanted the same thing when I traded mine in.  I worked out a deal that I could use one of the dealers used boats until my new one was available which worked out ok.  the dealers inventory when I wanted to use one was very low so I only boated one time in the month that I waited--which sucked.  I like the idea of a penalty per day after the two weeks is up.  this way they dealer will do everything in his power to deliver the boat on time.  most of the time when they are late its out of the dealers hands and nothing they can do.  I would be surprised if they agreed to something like this.

When the new boat arrives it will be all worth it though!!

Thanks for the ideas.  I will tell the dealer that I'm fine with it as long as he can guarantee delivery of the new boat on the original delivery date.

I just think back to that Chevy Chase Wally World movie when they crush his car, and being around the wrong car. I see it as loosing leverage once they have your boat. Makes it harder to walk if things are not correct.

Just tell him "no", you don't want to be without a boat, and you're concerned about late delivery, or if the new boat isn't as ordered/expected, and see if HE offers you something to sweeten the deal.

He's probably reading this...

The factory is closed this week for re-tooling. Don't expect the boat to be built and delivered in a week. Keep the trade-in until the new one arrives.

Bottom line, don't be without a boat when you want a boat...  that is what you have now.  When I got my new boat a few years back, it was supposed to be in and ready to go a few days before the 4th of July.  Took my used one in for valuation about 1 week before that.  The dealer wanted me to leave it and I said "NO",  I will bring it back when the new one is sitting in my slip...  To make a long story short, the new boat didn't find its new home in my slip until about a week after the 4th.  I would have been without a boat for about 2 weeks over the 4th of July if I would have given it to him when he wanted it.  Work something out with the dealer, but have at least one boat in hand!!!

The factory is closed this week for re-tooling. Don't expect the boat to be built and delivered in a week. Keep the trade-in until the new one arrives.
If his boat is expected in 2 weeks from the end of July, it likely has already been built. It's probably staged, waiting to be loaded onto a truck with others headed in the same direction OR already on a truck in transit from Elkhart to New Jersey. Who knows how many stops that truck is scheduled to make in between those two places.

We're in the process of making a deal and part of it is that we get a "loaner" if they want our trade-in before the Benny gets in.  Our dealer has no issue lending us a boat.

Back