Handheld GPS recommendation

NYHawk

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a handheld GPS to use on the lake. I am looking to make waypoints to track where I catch fish, date caught and size, etc. Then I can recall the info if I'm on my boat or someone else'. I'm not looking to spend too much, but there are so many at price points all over the place. Any recommendations?

I've used a lot of handheld GPS units over the years, and the one I prefer by far is my iPhone or iPad with Gaia GPS installed. Even on 4-5 day backpacking trips it has become my GPS of choice where I used to carry a dedicated unit. Dedicated GPS units are clunky and difficult to use. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Garmin 600 Montana - on my snowmobile.  I really like the unit.  It has a larger screen and just works.  I needed something weatherproof.  I wanted to be able to see it while riding.

I put a Garmin 547xs on my new boat.  Had I not done that, I probably would have just used my Iphone.  As others have stated, there are awesome GPS mapping/charting software packages for them.  I have Navionics USA Boat installed on my iphone and it works great.  The phone/tablet interfaces are MUCH easier to use than the handheld GPS units.  I just wouldn't be able to use it if it were raining...handheld GPS would be fine in the rain.

I put my iPhone and iPad into Lifeproof cases which make it so I don't have to worry about the weather. I can totally submerge them, shoot video, take pictures, etc. under water. And with the nuud case, you don't even have anything between you and the actual glass on the screen (that's what I prefer). I'm a big fan. Too bad they didn't have one out for the iPhone 6+ when I dropped mine off the back of the boat 2 weeks after it was released.  :wacko:

I put my iPhone and iPad into Lifeproof cases which make it so I don't have to worry about the weather. I can totally submerge them, shoot video, take pictures, etc. under water. And with the nuud case, you don't even have anything between you and the actual glass on the screen (that's what I prefer). I'm a big fan. Too bad they didn't have one out for the iPhone 6+ when I dropped mine off the back of the boat 2 weeks after it was released.  :wacko:
These sound like great options!   Still not something I'd be able to use on my snowmobile, but would work great on the boat.   I've got the Garmin "rugged mount" with RAM ball mount for the Montana.  Keeps unit powered while riding, no issues with draining batteries (important in the mountains).

Thanks for the suggestions. I do not have an iPhone, nor do I plan on getting one. I hardly use my cell phone and have Tracfone, pay as you go type. I really like not having a monthly bill. The Garmin Montana 600 looks really nice and might just be what I need and I see it available for under $400.

I'd still say an iPod, iPad Mini or any other kind of tablet would still be better (and maybe cheaper) for what you're intending to use it for. Especially since you plan to enter waypoints and type in notes. The touchscreen on those things is not the same kind of touchscreen you see on modern phones and tablets. I have the Oregon 450 that's similar to the Montana. I just can't say enough bad things about the interface. But since you don't use an iPhone or anything like that, it may not seem as clunky to you. 

EDIT: Apparently no iPod Touch models have integrated GPS at this time. 

iPod!!!  Thanks bcpnick!  We have an old iPod touch no one uses anymore.  It would make a great GPS unit (speedometer) for the boat plus provide tunes for the stereo.  I don't know why I never thought of using it.  I guess because I never see it and forgot my daughter doesn't use it now that she has an iPhone.  My Garmin car GPS is constantly fighting with my cell phone for the 12v socket.  The iPod would kill two birds with one stone.  I think the i-touch may find a permanent home on the boat this summer.  Great tip.

Uh oh, kaydano. I just got to thinking that maybe older iPod Touch models don't have GPS and a little google-fu has now led me to believe that perhaps no iPod Touch models have built-in GPS. So perhaps that was a bad recommendation. Sorry about that...  :unsure:

I believe all iPad models that have the cell data option DO have the GPS though. I know my iPad Mini does and it works great as a speedo, nav, etc.

ipad-gps-nav.jpg

Back