Heavy Smoke and Oil Discharge at Start Up?

Just put a can of seafoam in w/my last fill up........ Swear by that stuff!

Going to open this back up because mine smokes at initial startup after sitting for a week. I just talked to my dealership mechanic which is also on my security team. He said to park it with the motor at at slight positive trim. If you leave the motor tucked all the way under, it’s considered a negative trim. Neutral trim and negative trim while sitting for a while will cause smoke at startup. He said a notification came out a while back from Yamaha about people complaining about the smoke. He said if I do as he stated, I should have I more smoke. He also stated that if I have 30 hours on the motor, 10 of those should be in the upper RPM or wide open. Thought I’d share.

Hey Admiral Questover,

What was your resolution to this smoking issue. My F-150 has 65 hours and when I started it on Sat after setting since last Sunday, smoke and oil discharge just like you mentioned. I plan on a video so I can show the dealer.

Marc
I have not been online much but to answer you very late, I spoke to the Yamaha rep and he sent me a illustration of the problem. The trim must be slightly up the you leave your boat.....So sorry for not responding earlier....

Going to open this back up because mine smokes at initial startup after sitting for a week. I just talked to my dealership mechanic which is also on my security team. He said to park it with the motor at at slight positive trim. If you leave the motor tucked all the way under, it’s considered a negative trim. Neutral trim and negative trim while sitting for a while will cause smoke at startup. He said a notification came out a while back from Yamaha about people complaining about the smoke. He said if I do as he stated, I should have I more smoke. He also stated that if I have 30 hours on the motor, 10 of those should be in the upper RPM or wide open. Thought I’d share.
I have untrimmed the engine ever since this happened in 2015 and not one incident of smoke at start up.

The same with my Honda. It needs to be vertical. And.................I usually don't change the trim when I dock and if it smokes, it won't hurt anything.

Ok....Here is one for those with lots of engine experience.......Please.....I recently started my Yamaha F150 and the engine smoked (Heavy Blue Smoke) for about 3-5 minutes and discharged oil into the water from the exhaust. Same thing on a second start up 10 minutes later. This new Bennington has only 40 hours on it's first season Tamaha F150 engine. It was carefully broken in with varying RPM and had a number of max RPM's after the 20 hour oil change. The engine had several days of pulling tubes and kneeboarders....it had a good solid break in period. The engine has been perfect until we tried for one more trip out and wham......huge smoke and oil discharge. I have been boating for nearly 40 years and have all the experience that one needs to know how to trim the boat and take care of the engine. I however am more of an inboard/outboard saltwater guy and would like some advise. Why would I get so much blue smoke at start up and an oil discharge? This is not a puff or two but, enough smoke to look like there is a boat fire in the marina!! The dealer tells me that the compression test is OK and there are no obvious engine issues based on the computer.... BUT....the smoke and discharge was huge....something must be wrong. It looks like a ring or piston issue to me but, the engine runs smoothly. In looking online, some say that if you do not store the engine up slightly there can be oil that leaks into the cylinder head. Others swear by storing the engine at the dock full up position. Not sure I understand that???? HAS ANYONE HAD THIS ISSUE WITH A YAMAHA F150 i=in smoking and discharging oil at start up? What advice from fellow outboard owners do you all have in terms of storing the engine in a down, up, half up or full up position. I am waiting two weeks + for the Yamaha etc to come and check out the engine.....It would help me if I know about some other experiences......Thanks guys....

Need some pro answers!
Just curious if oil was ever added since you had it and possible over filled as mentioned above? Is it possible the dip stick is the wrong one (too short)?

H2GO, never heard of a dip stick incidence of being too short. I guess anything is possible, though. After getting home from church on Wednesday evening, I went straight to the boat and trimmed up and then back down to the point where it rest on the trim tabs. The next evening, I went out and cranked it, and no smoke whatsoever. I'll keep following this method, and see if it keeps working. If so, then I surely don't mind keeping a little positive trim in my routine. Hate to see it looking like a two stroke when first cranking it.
I'm also going to change the oil very soon, so I'll be starting new. I changed it at 20 hours, and will change it again at the 100 hour mark, but I guess this time, it will just get an extra oil change within the cycle. I think it currently has around 30 - 40 hours on it.

Interesting, following.

Back