Hello All, new to pontoon world..just looking info or suggestions

gmdog2

Reaction score
Hello, we are coming for a Ski Nautique G Series Wakeboard boat. We have been looking at pontoons 2-log, 3-log, HP sizes, warranties etc. We have finally decided on a Bennington.

We do all of our boating on a good size inland lake, approx 2100 acres. We are very close to a purchase. We are looking at the 23 SSBXP in either a 2-log 115 motor or a 3-log with a 200, loaded out. I want the 3-log, wife says not needed since kids are are in college or getting ready to start.

Is the 3-log & HP really worth the extra $$$$ if no water-sports are being done or going fast just gets me that look to slow down:-(. Any advice for us would be greatly appreciated..Of course, money is always an issue especially with a kid in Chicago for College and twins finishing there last year of HS..

Forum looks like a wealth of info, I look forward to sometime on here and getting to know people.

Thanks again

I would say absolutely worth it. We have a 24 SSBXP SPS with a 200hp. It is an absolutely incredible boat. My thoughts, absolutely a 3 log over a 2 log. Totally different “ride” if you will. Much more smooth. Glides across and through waves vs. getting bogged down in the water.

Also, since it is more buoyant and sitting on top of the water, any HP on a 3 log is going to perform better. Thus, even if you are set on saving money and sticking with a 115hp, I’d still absolutely do it on a 3 log boat.

Outside of that, at least a 150 or 200 is going to cover the entire range of potential future uses. including adult size children and their friends occasionally boating or doing water sports down the road. IF you can make the finances work I would prioritize getting the 3 log first, and then if still room, move up from the 115 to a 150 or 200.

I would say absolutely worth it. We have a 24 SSBXP SPS with a 200hp. It is an absolutely incredible boat. My thoughts, absolutely a 3 log over a 2 log. Totally different “ride” if you will. Much more smooth. Glides across and through waves vs. getting bogged down in the water.

Also, since it is more buoyant and sitting on top of the water, any HP on a 3 log is going to perform better. Thus, even if you are set on saving money and sticking with a 115hp, I’d still absolutely do it on a 3 log boat.

Outside of that, at least a 150 or 200 is going to cover the entire range of potential future uses. including adult size children and their friends occasionally boating or doing water sports down the road. IF you can make the finances work I would prioritize getting the 3 log first, and then if still room, move up from the 115 to a 150 or 200.

Thank you for you input. We appreciate it..Do you enjoy the layout of the Swingback? We love all the room on the layout, definitely a different feel from our other boat, but looking forward to many days on the water with it as the wife has the summers off..Thanks again!!

Welcome gmdog2 ! We started out with a 2 log with a Yamaha 90 h.p.Nice Bennington ! Then we popped up to a Tritoon with a Yamaha 150 h.p. So to kinda put you in the middle of your thoughts. We do love our Bennington! But then again Happy Wife Happy Boating!

Yes it is worth it ,and not just for water sports .Handling,Ride and Buoyancy.

My wife thought we would be good with a two toon and a 115. Three months later we sold it for a tritoon and a 200 horse.

I rented a two toon 115 last summer, was fun for the day, pulled my two kids in a tube. Was a bear making turns...that said, I just bought my first pontoon and it's a three toon 200 cause I felt the rental would leave me disappointed longterm. Good luck, everyone's needs and budgets are different.

Vikingstaff hit it on the nail! On the other hand buy what you can afford......and what your wife will be happy with.

Being you stated no water sports or speed runs, why spend the money on tritoons and motor you can't use for its benefit. Unless you are going to trailer it elsewhere and use those items, save your money. Are you on Lake Metonga?

Being you stated no water sports or speed runs, why spend the money on tritoons and motor you can't use for its benefit. Unless you are going to trailer it elsewhere and use those items, save your money. Are you on Lake Metonga?

We are on Gull Lake..Just don't want to buy another one..plus, trying to think of resell in the future if needed..Going to look at a 22SSBXP tom morning..Might be the ticket for her and I..thx again to all

No matter what you get, it will be great.

To answer your earlier question, we LOVE our swingback set up. We lounge back there all the time. It’s fantastic! I also appreciate all the storage beneath the large swingback seating area. It really adds to the storage options on the boat.

Yikes...We did that with Mastercraft, then a Nautique, now trying to convince the wife..Think we are just about there for the tri and a 150 Vmax..
If your looking at the VF150, the VF175 is just a few hundred $ more. I have the VF150 and am happy with it, but if it was an option when I purchased I would have definitely sprung for the VF175.

I've cut and pasted my first post on this forum below in the hopes that it helps you. One more tip: the members of this forum are extremely adept at emptying your wallet! Beware LOL.

I have a 22 ssbxp with SPS hull and love the swing back configuration. I also wrestled with a 115 but am very happy that I chose the 150:

Reflections on first season of ownership.

"First, thanks to everyone on this forum where I've been lurking on all of the critical information. You all helped me enormously to make decisions in buying a new 22SSBXP swingback tritoon, with a 150 Yamaha and SPS hull. Salt Water Series. It was a fantastic summer and she is safely stored away for the winter.

Given all of the assistance from which I benefited, I'm posting for the first time in an effort to maybe help someone else who is new to pontoons/tritoons sort through the numerous options and layouts. I could not be more happy with my selection.

Layout: I got L shaped seating and a table across from the helm. The swingback with this configuration really helped to maximize seating for my many relatives and visitors. I also really appreciate the center toon storage, even though I dock my boat right at my backyard dock and can just carry stuff from the house. Having the extra space was huge, whether for tubes (we tubed a lot), gear, life jackets, fishing rods, etc, etc. On the Swingback- we LOVE this configuration. It has a lot of storage and people really enjoy lounging out back there with their own built in cupholders, We also have the keeper rail so people can spot tubers and skiers or just sit back there while underway. For how we use the boat, the swingback and keeper rail are must haves. Others of course use their boats differently and Bennington has a huge number of layout choices to match those needs beautifully.

Motor: We tubed a lot and the 150 was plenty of HP to do this. We also deal with some strong tides (more about this later) and it still handled everything that we threw at it. It can move, is really quiet and sips the fuel when you are simply cruising and aren't at full throttle. It is a great match with the SPS hull. I did not get power assist on the hydraulic steering. I don't think I needed it, as the boat handles very well and easily, even at speed. This is a personal preference and many folks have differing wants, needs, etc.

Extended Decks: The SSBXP layout came standard with bow and stern extended decks. I highly recommend them, especially if you have a tow/tubing bar, fish or just jump off to swim. Getting in and out is a breeze, as is removing and adding the cover. We also have 2 large dogs, and it makes it easier for them to get on and off board quickly. We have Seagrass flooring and we really like it, though the teak flooring looks really good. I don't think that there is a wrong choice here. Easy to clean and not hot to the touch.

Lighting: I got the toe kick lights, cup lights and lighted speakers, but no exterior or underwater lights. I know that people love them, but I really didn't miss them at all. The kids really enjoy the interior lightshow. I didn't get the Bimini lighting. My dealer's rep said "If you are out at night you don't need the Bimini, so you won't see the lights." I don't miss them, though I do see people use them and they seem to enjoy the look and it is a nice effect. Total personal preference.

Stereo: I got the kicker system with an upgraded Wet Sounds amp and sub. It pushes out more than enough sound, even at speed. I did not get the rear speakers even though we beach at sandbars and remote beaches nearby. That may be something I would reconsider, but I haven't missed them yet.

Toon Protection: I added some Vantage Pontoon Guards and wrap. I'm not sure that I needed to, but they gave me peace of mind, especially as this is my first pontoon and learning to navigate it the first few days resulted in some dock bumping. My dock is on a large tidal river right off a small harbor which leads out to Buzzards Bay and Rhode Island Sound. It is a notoriously difficult spot due to wind and strong tides, rip currents, rocks, sandbars that move every year, etc. (Its notorious-Privateers, smugglers and pirates used to hide out here from pursuit back in colonial days). Knowing that the guards are on helped my mental state in challenging conditions, as well as rafting up to other boats. I also bought larger bumpers than what came with the boat. A few Nor'easters later, I'm glad that I did.

Seat covers: It came with the Simtex, and I don't have much to compare it to, but it has been easy to clean and no protectant is required. No staining, even with Cheetos!

Privacy Enclosure: We never used it. A "nice to have" but not a "must have"
I guess. No portable toilet, but they seem very easy to come by if we ever decide we need one. I just have to make sure it will fit under the Swingback.

Extra cupholders: We got a few of the movable cushioned ones that slip into the seating and stay put. I would recommend getting at least one. They saw constant use and are easy to stow if not needed.

Battery: I have 2 batteries. I would recommend it, as I needed the second battery once. Also, it is the cheapest of the options that I added. No brainer.

Elevated Helm: I did not get this. I wouldn't say that I need it, but in retrospect it would have been nice to have."

Toon Protection: I added some Vantage Pontoon Guards and wrap.

Just curious... Did they let you purchase this directly from them? Or did you have to go through a dealer and have them apply the wrap? I've sent Vanguard 2 emails with no reply asking this question.

Just curious... Did they let you purchase this directly from them? Or did you have to go through a dealer and have them apply the wrap? I've sent Vanguard 2 emails with no reply asking this question.
Hi, Chris. My dealer sold them to me. I saw it on a boat in their showroom and asked about what it was and they explained I t and I went for it.

I've cut and pasted my first post on this forum below in the hopes that it helps you. One more tip: the members of this forum are extremely adept at emptying your wallet! Beware LOL.

I have a 22 ssbxp with SPS hull and love the swing back configuration. I also wrestled with a 115 but am very happy that I chose the 150:

Reflections on first season of ownership.

"First, thanks to everyone on this forum where I've been lurking on all of the critical information. You all helped me enormously to make decisions in buying a new 22SSBXP swingback tritoon, with a 150 Yamaha and SPS hull. Salt Water Series. It was a fantastic summer and she is safely stored away for the winter.

Given all of the assistance from which I benefited, I'm posting for the first time in an effort to maybe help someone else who is new to pontoons/tritoons sort through the numerous options and layouts. I could not be more happy with my selection.

Layout: I got L shaped seating and a table across from the helm. The swingback with this configuration really helped to maximize seating for my many relatives and visitors. I also really appreciate the center toon storage, even though I dock my boat right at my backyard dock and can just carry stuff from the house. Having the extra space was huge, whether for tubes (we tubed a lot), gear, life jackets, fishing rods, etc, etc. On the Swingback- we LOVE this configuration. It has a lot of storage and people really enjoy lounging out back there with their own built in cupholders, We also have the keeper rail so people can spot tubers and skiers or just sit back there while underway. For how we use the boat, the swingback and keeper rail are must haves. Others of course use their boats differently and Bennington has a huge number of layout choices to match those needs beautifully.

Motor: We tubed a lot and the 150 was plenty of HP to do this. We also deal with some strong tides (more about this later) and it still handled everything that we threw at it. It can move, is really quiet and sips the fuel when you are simply cruising and aren't at full throttle. It is a great match with the SPS hull. I did not get power assist on the hydraulic steering. I don't think I needed it, as the boat handles very well and easily, even at speed. This is a personal preference and many folks have differing wants, needs, etc.

Extended Decks: The SSBXP layout came standard with bow and stern extended decks. I highly recommend them, especially if you have a tow/tubing bar, fish or just jump off to swim. Getting in and out is a breeze, as is removing and adding the cover. We also have 2 large dogs, and it makes it easier for them to get on and off board quickly. We have Seagrass flooring and we really like it, though the teak flooring looks really good. I don't think that there is a wrong choice here. Easy to clean and not hot to the touch.

Lighting: I got the toe kick lights, cup lights and lighted speakers, but no exterior or underwater lights. I know that people love them, but I really didn't miss them at all. The kids really enjoy the interior lightshow. I didn't get the Bimini lighting. My dealer's rep said "If you are out at night you don't need the Bimini, so you won't see the lights." I don't miss them, though I do see people use them and they seem to enjoy the look and it is a nice effect. Total personal preference.

Stereo: I got the kicker system with an upgraded Wet Sounds amp and sub. It pushes out more than enough sound, even at speed. I did not get the rear speakers even though we beach at sandbars and remote beaches nearby. That may be something I would reconsider, but I haven't missed them yet.

Toon Protection: I added some Vantage Pontoon Guards and wrap. I'm not sure that I needed to, but they gave me peace of mind, especially as this is my first pontoon and learning to navigate it the first few days resulted in some dock bumping. My dock is on a large tidal river right off a small harbor which leads out to Buzzards Bay and Rhode Island Sound. It is a notoriously difficult spot due to wind and strong tides, rip currents, rocks, sandbars that move every year, etc. (Its notorious-Privateers, smugglers and pirates used to hide out here from pursuit back in colonial days). Knowing that the guards are on helped my mental state in challenging conditions, as well as rafting up to other boats. I also bought larger bumpers than what came with the boat. A few Nor'easters later, I'm glad that I did.

Seat covers: It came with the Simtex, and I don't have much to compare it to, but it has been easy to clean and no protectant is required. No staining, even with Cheetos!

Privacy Enclosure: We never used it. A "nice to have" but not a "must have"
I guess. No portable toilet, but they seem very easy to come by if we ever decide we need one. I just have to make sure it will fit under the Swingback.

Extra cupholders: We got a few of the movable cushioned ones that slip into the seating and stay put. I would recommend getting at least one. They saw constant use and are easy to stow if not needed.

Battery: I have 2 batteries. I would recommend it, as I needed the second battery once. Also, it is the cheapest of the options that I added. No brainer.

Elevated Helm: I did not get this. I wouldn't say that I need it, but in retrospect it would have been nice to have."

Thank you for info, very well put and gives me a little more to think on..thx again

We have officially joined the Bennington family. Ended up ordering a 22SSBXP with a Vmax 150, loaded it up, except power top..Will be here 3rd week of May.

Thx you to all the info you have shared. Great forum and info.

Back