Helm seat and steering wheel offset

guardrail22

Reaction score
Worked over weekend in great 70f weather to install the 740s, new radio and new helm seat pedestal. Former owner was 5' tall so had to raise seat.

While testing various heights my wife tried it and commented it was out of position. When I measured the center of the steering wheel and the center of the pedestal the seat pedestal wass 1-1/4" farther inboard than the steering wheel center.

Drilled new holes and moved it.

I would image the pedestal. Helm would be a big job.

Maybe for better access past an l shaped lounger? I know it can get tight there with the wider helm seats, thus the offset.

I wonder if it's placement was for clearance so you could swivel the seat facing into the "aisle" to be more in the conversation? Does it still have clearance to swivel?

I guess after rereading my post I should have used a smiley face or something so everyone knew I was kidding.

David

Another case of misinterpretation due to the lack of an emoticon.... ;) :) <[:0))

Something just occurred to me. I wonder if the reason is because they make the helm standard, but have already allowed room in case the customer ordered the extra wide helm chair? It would need more clearance between where the throttle mount is located. 

Not sure they wre doing wide helm chairs in 2002

Kind of a short season north of Winnepeg isnt it?
I'm not sure either, but it was an idea!! :D  

Haha, you don't have to remind me this year! It's still -38C here this morning and I don't think this snow will EVER leave!!! Haha

I hope to find out soon enough,I ordered the elevated helm and the extra wide 

Something just occurred to me. I wonder if the reason is because they make the helm standard, but have already allowed room in case the customer ordered the extra wide helm chair? It would need more clearance between where the throttle mount is located. 

Back