Helm Storage Latch

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
I find it odd that the door to the helm storage on my 22 SSX has no receiving end to the latch. Meaning no where for the latch to rest and sit in the closed position. The only thing that keeps it closed is friction from the locking part and the fiberglass of the helm which doesn't keep the door shut for long. I'm wondering if this is really just the way it was built or if something didn't get installed on my boat. I literally can't trailer it anywhere without it jiggling down and opening, leaving that door swinging around for the entire drive. Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

Believe mine is the same way.

Mine is the same. Had to put a larger washer on it after stripping the threads trying to get the door to stay shut. A thicker washer got the nut out into the good threads. Been working well since, but its only been a few weeks. A receiving latch is a good idea. Could epoxy a small block inside the helm for it to stop on, or a small bolt through the helm, but still hidden by the door.

I don't know if you can change it to the R style latch. It's not the "turning" type, but the "pull" type on my R (elevated helm). Just a thought.

That's a good idea too.

They should put the hinge on the left so the door doesn't nearly rip off when you're going 40 and it opens on its own. AMHIK. That's a new texting acronym just for Carl since he uses it a lot. Ask Me How I Know.

:p

Back