Help finalizing boat package

AndrewWNY

Reaction score
Hey everyone. My name is Andrew. This forum is awesome ! I've read non stop, and have learned a ton already. I definitely got bit by the pontoon bug. I am buying a pontoon for our family. It's for my wife and I, our 4 month old baby, and our German shepherd. Here's my first dillema.

I want a 22ss so far with a 150Merc. I can't decide on the twin 32"
Elliptical versus the SPS package
Though!

I'd rather save the money on the seating fabric etc.. and spend it on performance. I presume with toddlers and dogs it may take a beating anyways.
I will be using it for fishing and cruising the finger lakes, lake Chautauqua as well as on Lake Erie (staying close to shore though on Lake Erie!!). I plan to tow it through Canada, up into Vermont for adventures etc and for general exploring and some fishing.
No plans on specific water sports right now aside from some tubing. But more elaborate water sports could be in the future when the kids grow a bit? But not sure.
Bottom line, what's your choice for a travel rig? SPS or twin elliptical? We are young, and want something that will last us many years. I like to keep things for a long time. We want to bring it camping and to vacation rentals and be adaptable and hold up to cruising and fishing many different bodies of water, some being potentially / slightly rougher water. My budget is 40k max for the boat.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I would prefer the SPS. I like 3 tubes for stability.

I second the SPS/150-200 hull!! We have it and love it!! Nothing rides like a triple toon!! Good luck in your decision making!!

I second the SPS/150-200 hull!! We have it and love it!! Nothing rides like a triple toon!! Good luck in your decision making!!

Thanks for the replies. Do you Think I can get into an S series SPS/150 for upper 30k's? My dealer was pushing the twin ellipticals because they are cheaper. He also says he sells them 9/10 times. Which I found surprising. Said an S22 with SPS/150 would be tough at the upper 30k / 40k price point. I built one and it came to 43k. Reading 20% off or so

Last edited:
We have SPS and so glad we do. In addition to be great for our water sport needs it is much smoother.

SPS and 150 Merc.

Seems to be overwhelming toward the SPS still. Both on this thread, and the others older ones I've dug up from 3 and 4 years ago. Surprised my dealer says 90% of sales are ellipticals.

For those who favor the SPS, did you have a chance to take the twin Ellipticals for a spin?

Last edited:
The elliptical with the 1000lb of extra buoyancy is probably more stable than a triple. All the buoyancy is at the sides of the boat. I have had 5 people on the port side and only me driving on the starboard side. It had a lean but barely noticeable.

I have a 22' elliptical fishing model with 150 Mercury. I have had the boat in 2'-3' whitecaps during our Canada fishing. It handled the waves beautifully. It cuts through the waves instead of pounding on them. It is not a watersport boat. It turns flat but you add 9 people to it and you don't notice the difference and it slows down 3 mph at cruise. It is great for what it is designed for. Can you pull a tube - yes. Is it the right design for it - no. We fish in Canada and cruise on the boat in Ohio. It is perfect for that.
PM me if you have more questions.

I had a two toon boat although not elipticals and it was terrible for our family (Similar to yours) and how we wanted to use the boat. We now have the sps and a 200 and love it.

Did not try elliptical but heard from many that for straight line travel and speed they were great. But for turning as in tubing etc. not so good.

I’d buy a 21’SPS before a 22’ elliptical if that’s what fit the budget. I have a 3yo and a 6yo and my boy always loves saying Daddy let’s light her up and do 8’s. My little girl always re-enforces his decision.

Attachments

• 1F0BD2DA-D664-4E5E-BA18-F1BEB6984C93.jpeg
    1F0BD2DA-D664-4E5E-BA18-F1BEB6984C93.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 11
Because you talk about doing watersports over time, and keeping it for the long haul, I would absolutely recommend the SPS. As mentioned above, the twin elliptical are great for what they are designed for. However, you talk about seeing watersports in its future as your kid gets older. When any kind of turning is invovled, the SPS is awesome. Also, it gives an amazingly comfortable ride cuttting through the water with the additional buoyancy of the third pontoon.

Because you talk about doing watersports over time, and keeping it for the long haul, I would absolutely recommend the SPS. As mentioned above, the twin elliptical are great for what they are designed for. However, you talk about seeing watersports in its future as your kid gets older. When any kind of turning is invovled, the SPS is awesome. Also, it gives an amazingly comfortable ride cuttting through the water with the additional buoyancy of the third pontoon.
If you can get some fishing seats and a live well, you won't regret it.

While it might cost you more initially, one common thread on this site is to buy your last boat first! Spending a bit more now could end up saving you much more in the future. Welcome to the forum and good decision to go with a Bennington!

If you take great care of your boat. I recommend inside storage. You will have this craft for many years. We had our first one for fourteen years. It worked great for many years until the kids got full size. We than had to step up a bit. My point, is time will fly and the little one will be knee boarding and water skiing before you know it. So my recommendation would be SPS and the 150 Yamaha. Good luck and enjoy when it is delivered.

Back