Help! Gord's polish is making it flat black!!

klaus96

Reaction score
I know this must be oxidation, but what is the best method for removing the black so it will polish? Will this take years?? It just keeps coming and coming....Do you just have to use a million rags??

Yes, you have to keep wiping it w/the rags until it gets clean............Use lots of elbow grease! Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Klaus, try a quick wipe with cheap automotive grade lacquer thinner. It will get the majority of it then polish until it builds up again. Should work. Steve

I'm alternating between lacquer thinner and gords for cleaning...getting an endless supply of black rags!

Start pulling out your socks with holes in them to use!! hehe

Klaus, try a quick wipe with cheap automotive grade lacquer thinner. It will get the majority of it then polish until it builds up again. Should work. Steve
I'm alternating between lacquer thinner and gords for cleaning...getting an endless supply of black rags!
Yeah I think that's why I didn't get quite the results I had hoped for when I used the Gord's this year; I polished once and then used the lacquer thinner. I should have kept doing that a few more cycles (Gords/thinner/Gord's/thinner, etc.) but didn't. Still, came out way more shiny than it was.

Klaus, I use a 5 gallon bucket with dish liquid or other liquid cleaner. Stack them in and let them soak for an hour. Use a stiff nylon bristle brush to get hard stuff loose, re-soak and rinse well. Spin on the buffer to get rid of excess water and let them dry. I think my wife would choke me if I put these in our washing machine. Steve

Too bad they got rid of the blog section, I had a pretty good how-to on polishing. Klaus, check out my finished logs in my gallery. Steve

I didn't tell her that I was washing them. I saw on an airstream site that a guy who re-did a camper was washing them that way. I have a lot of the black stuff removed now. I think you could wipe til the world was out of any sort of towel and still get black off of those dang things. haha

Lakebum, toons look great! Like your dual battery setup too. I am thinking of doing that this season as well.

I talked to Gord himself today and he told me to stop with the Gords/lacquer combo of cleaning and to use a bucket of water with dawn soap and a scotch brite pad to get rid of the oxidation. Just passing along..

I talked to Gord himself today and he told me to stop with the Gords/lacquer combo of cleaning and to use a bucket of water with dawn soap and a scotch brite pad to get rid of the oxidation. Just passing along..
Jeez I spoke to him the day before I did mine this year.....I sure wish he would have told ME that because I'll bet anything I would have got better results. Oh well....next year......

It didn't really do a whole lot for the black oxidation. It looks clean until you apply gord's with the steel wool and then it is like spreading black liquid again. I can see that removing the black is definitely the key here. Above the water line it polishes up really quickly. Getting tired of cleaning and not boating. I think I will get it as good as I can and move on.

Next up for oxide removal? Marvel Mystery Oil.....
Yeah let us know if that works.....I never thought of using that for this application.

Back