Help me spend my money!

Rule of thumb is to do your maintenance before you put it away for the winter and let it sleep with fresh oil in it.

Do any of you prepay your maintenance or winterizing/wrap/summerizing? I am trying to negotiate a package deal with my boat. If I may be so bold, about how much are your guys/gals total running costs other than slip fees per year? I have read as little as 500 bucks to as much as 2500 depending on how many hours you put on it. Also, after winter storage, is routine to have oil changed before new season?

I've had 3 seasons on my Verado. Since it's in warranty I just have the dealer do the annual service and any warranty work (pretty much none) when it goes in for winter storage. It's never been more than ~$300 total for everything (oil/filter, fuel filter, water/fuel separator, winterize, lube, all inspections). The 100 hr is a bit more, which we'll do at the end of this season. Other than that, most of what I spend is on 303 protectant, wax, Sharkhide touch-up, and such that we do ourselves. Properly cared for, this is a very inexpensive boat to maintain.

It's over $100 to DIY the winterizing. 

And that's without the water separator. 

We slip ours at one of the other 8 marinas in Woodbridge since it's closer to our house. 

In 2005, I drove from Michigan to Woodbridge to pick up a Donzi I bought.

It was a fun trip (my father and me), but the I-95 traffic really sucked. And I lost a cockpit cover on I-95 on the return trip. Never tow with a cover on. ;-)

Ok. Made the leap and deposit is down with expected delivery next week. Kind of frightening since the my last 4 rentals were just sx series 22ft two log bennie with 90-115hp.

Delay was trying to figure out if I could get a factory double Bimini with the cladded sport arch so my family doesn't burst into flames this summer. They assure me it can be easily added and be covered under warranty.

PADS help me I hope 300hp, esp, and qcw should keep the demons at bay. I read that if 300hp q series esp doesn't quicken my pulse I must be dead. 

Next up- what else do I need to buy and have ready to roll? I have searched but specific recommendations for uppers, floats, vf radio, etc?

Thanks again for all your input up to this point and into future!

Congrats on taking the plunge. We like pictures too.  :)

Hoffmasters will make sure you have a “Get on the water” kit with everything to make you legal in Virginia/DC/Maryland – life jackets, flares, whistle, etc.  They sell some other toys and supplies in their small store, and there is a West Marine less than a mile away.  Lots of threads here with ideas for people to help you spend your money on other things you might want to have.  

I responded to your PM – I’m definitely available to show you the local area and help in any way I can.  I do get a chance to drive the big Q with ESP and a 300, right?       :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can do! I have your PM and will contact you when I get it in next week. Having trouble sleeping thinking about my new boat. Buying sight unseen, no test drive, never owned a boat... What could go wrong?

Can do! I have your PM and will contact you when I get it in next week. Having trouble sleeping thinking about my new boat. Buying sight unseen, no test drive, never owned a boat... What could go wrong?

Been there. It's awesome! Just respect the wind at the docks. And if you have not already, take a boater safety course.

Jared brings up a great point about the boating safety course.  It's required by the Virginia Fish and Game.  If you're over 50 you have until 1 Jul 16 to get it done.  You can do it via a free online course, or you can do it in person at  a variety of locations.  My wife and I did it together in a classroom at Prince William Marina (right next to Hoffmasters).  Here is a link with more info and a schedule.  

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/boating/education/requirement/

Although I am a retired Air Force pilot and have boated a lot, I had never owned a boat until 2 years ago and wanted to take the course in person to make sure I learned as much as I could.  It's nothing you have to worry about passing, and it's good peace of mind.  I'm sure you'll be great in no time. Just gotta respect mother nature and your boat's (and your own) limitations.

Last edited by a moderator:
All great points. I actually have a Maryland Boaters certificate which was necessary to rent larger pontoon boats up at the lake. I am definitely scared about docking and mooring after some windy attempts after failing to outrun a thunder storm surge. Let's just say I never want to not have enough power to get home if I have to :)

No idea what kind of prop I have or if it will need to be changed or if it matters with a big enough motor. Looking at a big Mabel 3 seater as a kids float but I noticed it came in 2 and 4 person as well- any thoughts?

Back