Help me spend my money!

How many hours on the Q and will they be able to sell it as "new" for warranty purposes?

As long as it has never been titled then it is considered new but insurance considers it used and will only insure its replacement value as the demo price not the actual price to replace.

My wife and I are still on the fence because we still don't have a slip at the local marina 5 min by bike from the house. The dealer offered to slip it for free until I get my own but it could be a year or two until one opens up and the dealer is 25-60 min away depending on DC traffic.

We imagined using the boat on weekends and afternoons but spur of the moment stuff is less realistic if we have to fight traffic. How much do you guys use your boats? How far away are your slips? For those tow each time, how long does it take you to drive to ramp and put in?

I have my wife's support but she thinks we should wait until we get the local slip or we won't use it... But the Q is so pretty.

Why put off till tomorrow what you can own today. The slip will come regardless. Once the boating season is gone, it's gone. We debated waiting until we retire to get a boat. I finally fell, not literally, bumped my head and said; "why wait, can't we start to enjoy a boat now in lieu of 5 yrs from now". Go get her done!

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as it has never been titled then it is considered new but insurance considers it used and will only insure its replacement value as the demo price not the actual price to replace.

My wife and I are still on the fence because we still don't have a slip at the local marina 5 min by bike from the house. The dealer offered to slip it for free until I get my own but it could be a year or two until one opens up and the dealer is 25-60 min away depending on DC traffic.

We imagined using the boat on weekends and afternoons but spur of the moment stuff is less realistic if we have to fight traffic. How much do you guys use your boats? How far away are your slips? For those tow each time, how long does it take you to drive to ramp and put in?

I have my wife's support but she thinks we should wait until we get the local slip or we won't use it... But the Q is so pretty.
We live 25 minutes from the marina.  Took the boat out 37 times last summer.  We have a 4-month boating season.

We drive 2.5 hours one way to our fav lake. Never gets old most every weekend if weather is good.

I walk about 40 ft. to the dock from my back door. Love it.
I walk about 40' to the truck hooked to the trailer.... man am I envious!! 

We drive about 50 minutes to our local lake and 5-1/2hrs to the Adirondacks. We're usually there every holiday thru out the summer a week for vacation.   

gallery_1200_549_1719174.jpg

I kept my boat 5 minutes from work to floating out of the slip. From my house it was a 25 minute drive + the time to uncover. Never once did I not go from my house because I thought it was too far. Once you have it your going to want to use it. Even if it means fighting traffic. As soon as you step foot on her, you'll forget what t took to get you there. You'll just be happy and relaxed to be on board!

FYI I'd drive home from work, then back to the boat just for a pair of flip flops or some crazy thing I forgot.

Where do you live in the DC area?!? Northern Va? And where is the slip located?!? Hoffmasters?!? I believe JTaylor slips there......

Old town marina would be my local marina but hoffmasters would be my local Benny dealer. They both seem fair and reasonable. Any feedback on either?

1/2 hour to our dock one way. Make the trip every sat/sun during summer plus 2-3 weeks worth of vacation days during summer. Plus any holiday, 1/2 days, and Friday afternoons if possible. You won't regret buying it and traveling a short time till you get your slip. The price is a no brainer deal to me.

Lakehouse but we don't live there, we generally go up on Friday morning and come home Sunday night [or Monday if we are having a great time].  Takes 55 minutes from my house in Colonie to the Lakehouse.  Some of our neighbors who are still working drive 3 hours EVERY weekend because we all love the lake so much 

....As soon as you step foot on her, you'll forget what t took to get you there. You'll just be happy and relaxed to be on board!
There is nothing like the feeling you get pulling away from the dock on your own boat.

Old town marina would be my local marina but hoffmasters would be my local Benny dealer. They both seem fair and reasonable. Any feedback on either?
Used to live in Fredericksburg and boated on Lake Anna where our Benny dealer is located. Used to stop in at Hoffmasters on the way home from work from time to time. The staff is nice/friendly but I never purchased a boat from them. I believe forum member JTaylor bought his Benny there and has a slip there. Hopefully he'll chime in or better yet.......send him a PM (private message) and he'll get back to you........

I bought mine from Hoffmasters -- great people.  We slip ours at one of the other 8 marinas in Woodbridge since it's closer to our house.  Nothing wrong with keeping it at Hoffmasters except for the 20 minutes of no wake zone to get out to the main river.  The Potomac is a great boating area!  Yes, I-95 traffic can be a bear but you can use the toll lanes or be smart about the times you travel.  Hoffmaster's is right off I-95 so it makes the trip easier.  I would have no qualms about dealing with Hoffmasters or keeping your Benny there.  Go for it! 

I walk about 40' to the truck hooked to the trailer.... man am I envious!! 

We drive about 50 minutes to our local lake and 5-1/2hrs to the Adirondacks. We're usually there every holiday thru out the summer a week for vacation.   

I walk about that far to my tow vehicle that's attached to my boat, pull the boat around the corner to our neighborhood's ramp and launch it. Takes about 15 minutes from the house to throttling the boat up.

Like Link we first have to drive roughly an hour and 15 minutes to the lake house.  Drop off all our crap for the weekend at the lake house and then drive another 10-15 minutes to the boat.  We do this almost every weekend during the spring, summer and fall.....still go on weekends during the winter just to visit friends at the lake.

Here is where our baby sleeps year round:

DSCN0753_zps5d691219.jpg

We are in one of the newest marinas on the lake.....has some pretty good benefits but is a bit pricey.  Electric at each dock which makes it nice to sweep out the boat or inflate towables and also water at your dock.... makes it nice for rinsing off the toons after every outing.  We do have a 15 minute ride through the no wake zone before we are to open water but that always gives the motor time to warm up before we go out for the day and to cool down a bit as we idle back in.  Only drawback for us is the fishing tournaments that always seem to have their check in's stationed in our channel right by the boat ramps.

Have the primary home in Pittsburgh , but live at the Lake 99.8% of time now that we retired.

Convenience is one thing I have there

I jump on the golf cart and drive down my yard to Benny on the waters edge 

Nothing better than having it on your own dock 

I use my boat daily weather permitting

Disadvantage , the Lake is a private Lake not a Great Lake (lol) 

107175344.jpg

109961069.jpg

No matter what the circumstances are , when on Benny you are enjoying "The Best Life Has To Offer" :)

Do any of you prepay your maintenance or winterizing/wrap/summerizing? I am trying to negotiate a package deal with my boat. If I may be so bold, about how much are your guys/gals total running costs other than slip fees per year? I have read as little as 500 bucks to as much as 2500 depending on how many hours you put on it. Also, after winter storage, is routine to have oil changed before new season?

Back