Houseboat Vacation: Lake Cumberland or Norris Lake

Michiman

Reaction score
My family is considering a houseboat vacation in 2018 on either Lake Cumberland or Norris Lake. While we have never been to either, an acquaintance suggested that we steer clear of LC in favor of NL. In his opinion, the former is "muddy" compared to the latter. Because this information came second hand, I had no chance to probe those remarks further.

I know there are a number of folks on this board that boat and/or have cottages on both lakes. Perhaps this is another "Yamaha vs. Mercury" discussion, but I thought I'd offer it up and see what comments come along.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and perspective!

Spent a week on Norris last year in a cabin, flat hollow marina.  First time, beautiful place.  The east end is mostly the channel with some decent coves.  A few of those coves are filled with floating houses (rentals) making them useless for boating.  The center between fhm and shanghai marina is a nice stretch, less homes, more natural shoreline.  We never made it to the two big open sections by the dam, If we go again I will spend more time down there, but we need to lodge down there.  I think there are less houseboats at Norris, also there will be more big loud fast boats at LC.  To me, if I was renting a houseboat I think I would go LC, it's just so dam big.  Do not go to LC in the spring, Lots of floating debris, crazy lots of debris.  

We have a lake house at Lake Cumberland.  The "muddy" water comment is some what valid. As you get out of the coves into the bigger water and the main channel it gets "better" The water is not crystal clear and blue. It has not bothered us.  It also can get worse if there is a lot of rain.  The biggest difference between the lakes is that you are alone at LC once you leave the marina.  There is nothing to visit and there are no on the water houses because of the ACoE property line.  If you enjoy no neighbors on the water LC is perfect.  The trick to houseboating is be close enough to the marina for fuel but in a cove off a channel off the main channel.  When we houseboat, we would find spots that only 2 or 3 boats a day would go by.  Our dock is on the main channel 3 miles upchannel from Conley Bottom Resort.(42 miles from the dam)  It is not as wide open as down by the dam but not as many people and boats as down by State Dock and Jamestown.  We like the laid back attitude of our section of LC. Conley rents houseboats and you could visit us if you come to LC.  

Michiman, are you plan on pulling the Benny down for the vacation? I used to LC with a bunch of guys for a Guy's weekend. Had a blast doing it. We did take several boats for water sports,but Remediation is right about it being secluded. The nights where absolutely unbelievable sitting in the hot tub under the stars. Not a light in site except for the glow of the cigars (BOYS WEEKEND!).No nagging, just beers,cigars,steaks and a big hot tub. Hot tub required to soak the pain away from skiing and tubing. Ahh the memories! My vote would be for LC.

I hope you are pulling the Benny.  Conley is also the closest marina for us northerners.  We were there last memorial day, hence the warning, trying to get something scheduled with our neighbor for a long weekend in a cabin at Conley in August.  Just think, head out, wide open, an hour later your at the dam.  WOT for a freakin hour straight, that's my kind of boatin'.  Check out vids on u tube.    

We ran into some Ohio friends at the gas dock at Conley Bottom late Summer.  They have a huge house boat at Jamestown.  They took a boat trip up  LC to get ice cream at Conley.  We decided the ice cones cost about $40 a piece.  We are only 1/3 of the way up the river.  There is 101 miles of navigational water at Cumberland.  If there were locks at Wolf Creek Dam, we could go to Nashville.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Just think, head out, wide open, an hour later your at the dam.

Years ago, when we had the runabout with the jet drive we went upchannel and got close enough to see the Cumberland Falls from the river.  That was cool.  

If you are considering LC then look a little to the south, just a stones throw from LC is some of the cleanest water and beautiful landscape there is at Dale Hollow Lake. not sure who has the best deal on the Houseboat but Sulfur Creek Marina and State Dock are nice facility's and rent Houseboats. You can see your prop in the water and plenty of places to tie up .

I will concur, we went a few years ago, absolutely beautiful.  We stayed at what was Eagle Cove, don't know if it is still called that.  Need to get the Benny down there.

The road to Conley Bottom marina turns off the road to Dale Hollow Lake.  You could visit both lakes easily. 

Having been to both only once I would venture to Dale Hollow over Norris.  Plus my wife likes it too, so I'd have that going for me. 

I have to agree, even though I haven't been to LC or NL.  We bought our Benny from the dealer just a few miles from Dale Hollow and he took us there for our initial ride and it was breathtakingly beautiful.

Roy

We have been to LC, Dale Hollow, Laurel Lake and Norris. They are all within 100 or so miles of each other.

Cumberland and Laurel are a equal distance from you in Kentucky, then Dale Hollow and Norris in Tennessee.

We saw the cleanest water at Laurel Lake but it is the smallest.

LC is by far the biggest.

We ended up liking Norris the best because of the floating houses (Flat Hollow Marine), and the many coves and sections to explore.

Now our kids go there over LC and they think it's the best.

Google Map all 4 and look at them.

Michiman, are you plan on pulling the Benny down for the vacation? I used to LC with a bunch of guys for a Guy's weekend. Had a blast doing it. We did take several boats for water sports,but Remediation is right about it being secluded. The nights where absolutely unbelievable sitting in the hot tub under the stars. Not a light in site except for the glow of the cigars (BOYS WEEKEND!).No nagging, just beers,cigars,steaks and a big hot tub. Hot tub required to soak the pain away from skiing and tubing. Ahh the memories! My vote would be for LC.

Great question, 1Blderbob! As much as I'd love to bring her with us, her size and a lack of a trailer will pretty much convince me to forgo that thought. My brother has a tender for his boat that will probably be more practical, but obviously that will rule out doing some cruising, skiing and tubing.

We have a lake house at Lake Cumberland.  The "muddy" water comment is some what valid. As you get out of the coves into the bigger water and the main channel it gets "better" The water is not crystal clear and blue. It has not bothered us.  It also can get worse if there is a lot of rain.  The biggest difference between the lakes is that you are alone at LC once you leave the marina.  There is nothing to visit and there are no on the water houses because of the ACoE property line.  If you enjoy no neighbors on the water LC is perfect.  The trick to houseboating is be close enough to the marina for fuel but in a cove off a channel off the main channel.  When we houseboat, we would find spots that only 2 or 3 boats a day would go by.  Our dock is on the main channel 3 miles upchannel from Conley Bottom Resort.(42 miles from the dam)  It is not as wide open as down by the dam but not as many people and boats as down by State Dock and Jamestown.  We like the laid back attitude of our section of LC. Conley rents houseboats and you could visit us if you come to LC.  

Thanks for the insight, Remediation! Where we boat, we can't see the bottom either so that isn't a deal breaker. We were looking at renting one of State Dock's largest boat as we could have up to 23 people (adults and children). Obviously, I think I need to take a closer look at what's available. Never even heard of Conley Bottom, but Mattb indicates it's closer coming from Michigan. Being that we've never done this before, I'm thinking we'd like the secluded areas. Lots of family bonding time, don't you know!

If you are considering LC then look a little to the south, just a stones throw from LC is some of the cleanest water and beautiful landscape there is at Dale Hollow Lake. not sure who has the best deal on the Houseboat but Sulfur Creek Marina and State Dock are nice facility's and rent Houseboats. You can see your prop in the water and plenty of places to tie up .

KC24, thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look to see what the houseboat situation is at DH. Speaking to the good folks at State Dock, they recommend making reservations for 2018 in the next month or so, or risk not being able to go.

We have been to LC, Dale Hollow, Laurel Lake and Norris. They are all within 100 or so miles of each other.

Cumberland and Laurel are a equal distance from you in Kentucky, then Dale Hollow and Norris in Tennessee.

We saw the cleanest water at Laurel Lake but it is the smallest.

LC is by far the biggest.

We ended up liking Norris the best because of the floating houses (Flat Hollow Marine), and the many coves and sections to explore.

Now our kids go there over LC and they think it's the best.

Google Map all 4 and look at them.

Hey Mike, thanks for the tip. I guess because it's the largest, LC is just more well known up here in the north. I'll spend some time doing more research.

My family is considering a houseboat vacation in 2018 on either Lake Cumberland or Norris Lake. While we have never been to either, an acquaintance suggested that we steer clear of LC in favor of NL. In his opinion, the former is "muddy" compared to the latter. Because this information came second hand, I had no chance to probe those remarks further.

I know there are a number of folks on this board that boat and/or have cottages on both lakes. Perhaps this is another "Yamaha vs. Mercury" discussion, but I thought I'd offer it up and see what comments come along.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and perspective!

Reading this thread,I just remembered that we used to load up with beer and liquor before getting to State Dock. The area was a dry county from what I remember. I'm figuring your family may need some help with the bonding process. I'm sure it'll be a great time! 

Love Dale Hollow. As a kid used to jump off the houseboat roof into the water over and over and over till I bent the rail.

would see pike and try to tackle them. Have a nice scar from one that I almost had.

Somerset KY is no longer a dry county.  We used to stop in Richmond KY at Liquor Mart and load up and warn our friends to stock up before getting to the Lake.  We did run out on a houseboat trip and it was a 3 hour beer run. 

Also KY used to be cheaper than OH but not any more.  No need to cross the river to the Cork and Bottle anymore. 

Back