How Long Have You Been Boating..What Do You Do

CcanDo

Reaction score
Boating conversations often include, "How Long Have You Been Boating And What Is Your Biography". This Benninton Fraternity/Sorority may enjoy knowing about their "Bennington Nation" members.

I will go first. CEO, Holding Co., OEM, Electronics and Mechanical Designs....Boating 30 years.

I have been boating in some sort or form for 30+ years too if you include PWC "Personal water craft,jet skis" in the mix. I am a shop foreman at a coal mine. I grew up farming and ranching for the first 21 years of my life went to school for agri business and farm and ranch management and then on to Diesel tech school but due to family circumstances beyond my control I never went back to farming. I worked at several different business including coal mines as a diesel tech for the last 18 years. My Mrs.has been a self employed Massage therapist for the last 15 years she too came from a farming background as a dairy farmer.We both also enjoy canoeing and kayaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all... 61 y.o., retiring at the end of 2012. Boating on and off for 40 years. ALOT the last 15. Master electrician, into street rods, drag bikes(still sitting on my national record holding 1969 Honda 750), and spending as much time as possible at the lake.

Been boating for 35 years, started with jet boats, flat bottoms, hydroplane drag boats, offshore boats Hustler and Fountains. Ski boat for kids they are all on their own. Selling the big boat was tough but I will not miss the 200 gallon fill ups. We boat on the Chickahominy river near Williamsburg Virginia. Can't wait to get my new Bennington. I have never been on a pontoon boat. Should arrive April 9. Sounds like a great and diverse bunch of Bennies! Good luck to everybody.

Manage the sports marketing department of a Fortune 100 company. Boating for just four years. Had a Gibson houseboat with 150 gallon gas tank and got approx .8 mpg. Sold it, and get my first Bennie day after tomorrow.

My dad and I owned my first boat. Been boating since my mid 20's. Retired Houston Firefighter, currently a project manager building a public safety radio system. 15 months and I am hanging it up for good.

Lakebum, You are not even dry behind the ears....Wait till you get to be my age. LOL

Small world, Just out of School/Flight School, I managed Ark Aire, Cessna Dealership, Hot Springs and ROTC program, Arkadelphia (Harold Smith (Pete),Smith Engineering, Hot Springs, was the Investor). Meanwhile, I was also involved with advancing Ouachita Marine, Arkadelpia for Standard Industries of New England, New York. Ouachita Marine production peaked at 40,000 units/year (Aluminum, flat bottom, V bottom and canoes), before the demise. (That was sometime after I was no longer involved)

Wild and Free, Speaking of Ag, I was born at Gregory, South Dakota. My folks had a small farm/ranch, north of Burke. The insight led to one of today's projects. www.showproindustries.com . I'm on the horse seen in one of those pages.

Cutting Horses are considered by some, to require ultimate horsemanship. The major aged events are held in FT. Worth, three times/year, with the futurity being the finale'. The futurity starts in November and runs to the middle of December. The futurity is for 3 year olds only. The discipline of Cutting continues to be increasingly technical. For example, the competitive runs have the horse going across the pen in the herd side lead, stop, draw on the herd side, hind foot to make a 90* heading change and push off with the other hind foot for the second 90* heading change and new herd side lead. The opponent (Cow) goes to the end of her trip, drops her head (signaling to the horse)and never stopping, runs a barrel turn, taking ground from the horse.

The competitive horse develops a trained skill level that resembles foot ball and basket ball players, gaurding thier opponents.

You might enjoy www.NCHAcutting.com

Slow Ride, I see Virginia as your home.... After Arkansas, knowing a bit about Aluminum, I joined Reynolds Metals, Richmond. That task, developing an east coast territory and building a fab center in Lancaster, Pa. for the "Transhelter Group". Along the way, I influenced USCO, Richmond at one of their investments, USCO (originaly, Guerdon Industries) South Hill, Va. The relationship with Reynolds was mutually successful, just different philosophies. I resigned to take on a couple class 8 truck franchises. I was flattered with the offer to then run the Transhelter division.

Congrats with your new "Bennie" decision. Your Bio suggests that of being type "A" competitive. Having not ever being on a Pontoon Boat, (I hadn't either, this one was for my wife that is intimidated by speed) you may have once had a little contempt for those things. However, subject to your model goals today, IMHO, they offer a lot of "Best Of All Worlds". My first engine reminded me of watching paint dry. The second engine is not going to win the Key West, Offshore Championships. But, it is entertaining to watch the cruiser and ski boat guy, whipping and slashing (cowboy slang)when you out run him. (My wife thinks it's kind of cool too, good ride, competitive and serves her type B, look at me)

My wife has a 3YO mare at a triner right now but ity is just being trained as a good reining saddle horse The trainer is excellent "Jim Burch" who used to train cutters and compete for many years he now just trains. Unfortunately there are few who use horses for actual cattle work around these parts anymore since atvs have taken over the world.

She bought it at an end of the month sales at the livestock barn for $6 it is a well bred papered horse "we chose not to register her though" but the sellers are high end breaders and the colt was born at the wrong time of the year for the big money sales. The trainer is trying to pry the breeder and bloodline info out of my wife as he says she is extremely smart an very nice looking horse he know she has a good bloodline but my wife will not tell him until he is done training. I think there may be a furure potential for him to want to try and use her for his own breeding program when he finds out.

I grew up with atvs but my wife grew up on horses. I just go along with it with her as she is very frugal with her money and coming from our backgrounds can not fatham the kind of money some people sink into horses.

Wild and Free, You guys might be missing something with you 3 YO mare. There may be a registration fee, but could be worth doing. Some horse are known to be naturals that "train the trainer". Those stories are similar to winning the lottery, but happens. Do you know the bloodlines? Subject to her parents and ancestor names, winnings can be seen, home page, header bar, www.NCHAcutting.com

Jim Birch is not listed to have winnings.

Wild and Free, You guys might be missing something with you 3 YO mare. There may be a registration fee, but could be worth doing. Some horse are known to be naturals that "train the trainer". Those stories are similar to winning the lottery, but happens. Do you know the bloodlines? Subject to her parents and ancestor names, winnings can be seen, home page, header bar, www.NCHAcutting.com

Jim Birch is not listed to have winnings.
Sorry I mispelled his name it is James Burch, and I do not know where or how he competed my wife may know that but i have not asked her his lifes Bio. :p .

I found records of him on the site.

My wife has her papers and it does have the bloodlines and names, The fees are more than my wife wants to spend and having talked to several folks in the business they said unless we were going to breed her for sales stock it wouldn't be woth the money spent and I guess it becomes more expensive the older they get? She is a quarter horse and Jim says she is extremely smart he has had her for only a week and is already riding her.

Jim Burch has listed earnings of $776.13. Another Burch, Lindy, has earning of $3,168,104.39.....You can tease Jim with, are you and Lindy related ? LOL

Late registration fees can be a few hundred dollars. However, registration papers transfer is the responsibility of the seller. Transfer is $20.00....After that, Jim may want to partner/collaberate and invest in registration costs. Such as, starting negotiations with the offer to use the mare for birthing one or two babies. Of course, Jim would pay the stud fee.

Sheesh CcanDo, is there anything or any place you haven't been,done,know about? Hehe you seem to have accomplished quite a lot, kinda makes me feel bad growing up in northern Manitoba (Thompson), a mining community (INCO now VALE). Only 34, worked as a pharmacy tech, then manager of a furniture store, then moved to my wife's hometown of Dauphin,manitoba. Father in law took over a failing gas station,we turned it around and made it worthwhile, got sick of dealing with useless teenagers that don't know what it is to work for their money, and the Seven days a week thing sucked when no one showed up for work. Started with Purolator Courier and still doing it. Had never owned or driven a boat until I bought my first Benny at the end of 09, never got to drive it till spring of 2010, decided we liked it so now ordered a 2275RCW. Our two dogs are pretty much our everything. Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Gibson my male and Lulu my female. We're happy,and that's what matters!

Derrick

(just so you know, I'm just harassing ya CcanDo ) :)

CcanDo, I always said "they said I had to grow old, not up!" Glad to see someone familiar with our great lakes in Arkansas. Later, Steve

Been boating my whole life. Dad got me on boats from 3months on. Parents were teachers so we had a summer place on the lakes. Our boating season always went long into the fall / winters as we are avid waterfowl hunters.

I currently work as a electrical engineer at GM. I ran professional walleye Tournament schedule with center consoles and salmon steelhead charters before I had kids. Sold all the fishing equipment when my son said the non skid deck hurt his feet and why can't we have carpet like other boats daddy? So last year while I was in Korea on a job assignment, my lovely bride went to the boat Show with my family. I came home to pontoon brochures laid out the table. Well, 2 weeks later we signed the papers on our Bennington. Love the boat and the kids love it more. Some day, when 12 hours of trolling isn't such a drag on the family, I may get back into fishing. But for now, I am sold on this bennington. I've run wellcraft, Grady white., formula, mako, and Pursuit fishing boats. Bennington is just as good in fit, finish, and, quality.

Great job Team Bennington for a awesome product you have.

Todd

It's people like you mtudb24, lakebum,CcanDo, Slow Ride, ericscher, Ben & Suzy, and all the other helpful people on this site that make me happy we stuck with Bennington. We had gone to a small boat show, dealer was much closer to us then our nearest benny one, they had some good prices, and some good looking boats, the wife threw out the idea of getting a new boat from them. I thought about it and said no, I like the ESP, the service if we've needed it has been good, and the quality is there as well. Reading all of your guys experience and knowledge on here and the fact that you chose bennington for those same reason reaffirms our belief that we made the right choice. I'm just a regular joe, I'll be paying for this boat for a VERY long time, so it feels good that CEO's, engineer's, and people with real experience with boats decided to 'invest' in the quality that is found with Bennington. Thanks

Derrick

Bulldog, it's not just CEO's, engineers, and people with in-depth boating knowledge. I personally know of at least one "village idiot" that also made the decision to buy a Bennington. :rolleyes:

Sheesh CcanDo, is there anything or any place you haven't been,done,know about? Hehe you seem to have accomplished quite a lot, kinda makes me feel bad growing up in northern Manitoba (Thompson), a mining community (INCO now VALE). Only 34, worked as a pharmacy tech, then manager of a furniture store, then moved to my wife's hometown of Dauphin,manitoba. Father in law took over a failing gas station,we turned it around and made it worthwhile, got sick of dealing with useless teenagers that don't know what it is to work for their money, and the Seven days a week thing sucked when no one showed up for work. Started with Purolator Courier and still doing it. Had never owned or driven a boat until I bought my first Benny at the end of 09, never got to drive it till spring of 2010, decided we liked it so now ordered a 2275RCW. Our two dogs are pretty much our everything. Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Gibson my male and Lulu my female. We're happy,and that's what matters!

Derrick

(just so you know, I'm just harassing ya CcanDo ) :)
Bulldog, I went back and looked at some of my posts. Like the bad commercials on TV, the volumne just crept up, sorry.

I would like to be able to go back and do so many things a little different. However, that is not the way the game of life works. My focus has always been to 1) Have "Mutual Respect" 2) "Have Fun" 3) "Make Contribution To Society" 4) "Make Enough Money To Buy The Kids New Shoes" 5) "Always Honor My Committments"

Thanks for talking about your two dogs....That's neat. Now we better understand the name you picked for you boat.

Look us up when you come to Texas, Aye !

Back