How low is too low?

I thought you Lake Norman guys left the boat in the water year round?
This is my first season/year here. When we first started looking at homes here about 7 yrs. ago they had similar conditions. (Carls pic) I've got to take my I/O out to be winterized then I'll just leave it on the trailer in storage someplace. Carl keeps his on his lift year around..............

This is my first season/year here. When we first started looking at homes here about 7 yrs. ago they had similar conditions. (Carls pic) I've got to take my I/O out to be winterized then I'll just leave it on the trailer in storage someplace. Carl keeps his on his lift year around..............
Pardon my ignorance; Is it because an IO is more sensitive to freezing than an outboard?  I ask because if I ever do upgrade I am certainly considering an IO

Last edited by a moderator:
Pardon my ignorance; Is it because an IO is more sensitive to freezing than an outboard?  I ask because if I ever do upgrade I am certainly considering an IO
Yes, unlike an outboard, the engine is oriented horizontally and retains water in the block in smaller passages and hoses. They can freeze and crack the block and split hoses.

I've definitely got this pet peeve that gets me really upset when I'm riding down the road and see someone in the car near me, open the window and throw out a McDonald's bag, drink cup, or something similar. I even get mad at the smokers that throw out their cig butts. It looks like snow on the side of the roads, especially near busy intersections. My wife and I love to ride bikes. We often have to dodge broken glass and other things where people toss their garbage out of the window and scatter the junk all over the bike trails, and it's usually empty beer bottles. One more thing and I'll get off of my soap box; it even more maddening when I see the trash tosser is from another county or state. I've called cops and followed some so I can file complaints. It paid off big time once by doing that. Two of the three people in the car had warrants out for their arrest. That shows the total stupidity about them. "I've got warrants out for my arrest, so I'll throw trash out to get some really good attention". 

I sure wish the law would seriously crack down on the littering low life of this country.

Ok, I'll calm down now. :D
When I was in high school I worked at a large grocery store. I came in at 6am and swept the parking lot etc. That parking lot was my domain!! One day some a hole got out and set his big mega super gulp cup on the ground and went into the store. It was a nice sunny 90 degree day so I dumped it on his windshield. Another time someone dropped a cigarette butt out on the ground. Luckily their window was cracked when they went shopping so I could put it back into their car for them. :ph34r:  I can't stand people who leave trash everywhere. Animals.

gallery_1283_749_360217.jpg
Ended up taking the boat out yesterday and putting it on the trailer..........Not because of the dwindling water in my cove but because people were having a hard time at some of the ramps. Several public ramps on this lake have already been closed. Had no problem at the Hager Creek area ramp although it seemed like half of my Expedition was in the water...........

Last edited by a moderator:
That's how it should look.   :p

Thanks......

We're located on the Tennessee River on a 16,000 acre lake that is a serious electricity provider.  

Our water only goes up and down about 18" throughout the Summer.  Sometimes they'll drop it as much as 3 feet in the Winter so maintenance can be done to seawalls and boat ramps.

We have nothing but fixed piers and boathouses and no floating docks.  And for the stability of our water, we're really fortunate.  

The Sacandaga is also a man made reservoir from two rivers.  Built primarily for flood control is also is a major electricity producer,  During the boating season from April to October the lake is lowered by a total of 7' which makes for some drastic changes in the shore line and some areas that become dangerous for the inexperienced.  During the early winter it can drop an additional 10' to prepare for the spring run off.

Back