How taunt is your Bimini top?

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
I was wondering how much pressure to put on the Bimini top when open. When I open my top the front hold down bar is about 5 inches from the hold down. I then pull the bar down and hook it in the hold down. I wanted to get others perspectives as to how many inches away their bars are from the hold down before they hook up.

I put mine as tight as I can get it. You don't want it to be flapping around at speed.......

Mine hangs a few inches above the connectors too. Keeps the top nice and tight for thos high speed runs. That’s how my dealer had it set up so I left it that way.

My original front bimini was very loose. It was concluded that the dealer installed the mounts too far to the rear so it was too loose where it zipped to the rear bimini. Took some doing but eventually Bennington paid for a completely new one made by a local bimini place. Mine is very tight now and I've got it set at the 2nd notch from the top. I can go down to 6 so I've got lots of room to tighten it should it relax at all. My rear bimini has always been very tight. I've had the boat just over 50 and it doesn't move at all. No flapping or wobbling, nothing. The original one shook terribly and flapped badly once I hit about 25 or better.

Mines probably couple inches from the connector, easy enough to pull on Bimini hoop to get it to reach and latch, and top is good and tight.

also tight, especially after I took it off and washed it at the laundromat

Mine is tight, too. I replaced the plastic knobs with wing nuts. The plastic stripped out on my first Benny.

Back