I have 2 fuel options for winter storage. Thoughts?

I'm in the "less gas in the tank the better" crowd. I know all about room for condensation, but when I store all my stuff...Atv, jetski, scooter, I always drain out as much fuel as possible, then add stabilizer. Never had an issue, but it is stored indoors...

EDIT.. I confused this thread with the other gas level thread  Sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
I use stabil 360 in every gallon of fuel that runs through the motor. Therefor I only have to top off the tank with gas so that there is no room for condensation in the tank. Oh ya, the last tank of fuel is ethanol free. And then run the Etech through the winterizing mode. The motors cpm will fog the motor and shut it down when complete.

Just moving my 2 cents over from the other thread.

I'm starting a new topic so as not to confuse matters with the other winter storage topic about how full to keep the tank.

Here in Michigan, my boat sits from October to May..... +/- 8 months (damn). I use fuel containing ethanol (E10) during the summer. Up until now, I have used a fuel stabilizer (specifically for fuel containing ethanol) while the boat is in winter storage.

I have since discovered a station a short ways from where I keep the boat (about a 30 mile round trip) that sells ethanol-free gasoline (they label it RV gas). I am considering making the tow to fill (nearly) the tank for winter storage. I will continue to use stabilizer.

I don't feel compelled to use this fuel during the summer when I am operating the boat since it doesn't stay long in the tank. But for an 8 month layover? Hmm.....

Any thoughts? Waste of time and money?

But my lay over is usually only 3-4 months. I wish it was no months!

My boat has never seen gas w/ethanol. My marina in Virginia was E free and all the marinas here are E free. If you can use it........use it! I've had the fuel lines on a gas blower and trimmer literally disintegrate in my hand. I don't use fuel with ethanol in it in any of my small engines.......

Brought my boat home from our mechanic and filled up on the street at QT. Ethanol free fuel is $2.49 a gallon......

Snowblower, what's a snowblower?   :p

Still got mine Carl. The second I get rid of it NC will have a blizzard!

Was hoping you would go on cruise when we were down there so we could perhaps get together

Link going out of Ft. Lauderdale on the Allure of the Seas on October 16th. You're welcome to join us.......

My boat has never seen gas w/ethanol. My marina in Virginia was E free and all the marinas here are E free. If you can use it........use it! I've had the fuel lines on a gas blower and trimmer literally disintegrate in my hand. I don't use fuel with ethanol in it in any of my small engines.......

Brought my boat home from our mechanic and filled up on the street at QT. Ethanol free fuel is $2.49 a gallon......

+1 here in Florida. We don't have long layovers, but even so, my small engines, and boat see only E-free. Smell your E10 fuel once after it's been sitting a while. And oh joy, our EPA is pushing like crazy to increase to E15. I just visited a marina recently, and listened to a whole litany of problems brought on by "E" in fuel. If your research the subject you will find nothing but heartaches. If you must use it, DO NOT do so without some stabilizer treatment.

Daril, which QT has non ethanol gas?  That's the first I've heard of that.  It might be worth a trip to fill up the truck and boat.  I've been filling up with 100% gas from a BP in Clover and a Shell that is local in Mt. Holly.  Both gas stations are $2.89 per gallon.

I've read a little about the potential impact of ethanol in small engines and in larger engines as well.  My boat is mostly used on the weekend.  I would rather be on the safe side of things.  So far, I've not had to put any ethanol in my boat. I also add the Yamaha Ring Free additive in every other tank.

As for storage, this year I'm hoping to boat year round.  I'm looking forward to not having to winterize an inboard this year.  I've still got a little of my winter blood from living in North Dakota and Alaska for seven years.  Actually, I'm a bit excited to do some cold weather boating, camping, and of course fishing!

Still got mine Carl. The second I get rid of it NC will have a blizzard!

Not gonna happen Daril. Did you go for a long ride when you got the boat back? Leaving in a couple of hours for Savannah and Florida.

Daril, which QT has non ethanol gas?  That's the first I've heard of that.  It might be worth a trip to fill up the truck and boat.  I've been filling up with 100% gas from a BP in Clover and a Shell that is local in Mt. Holly.  Both gas stations are $2.89 per gallon.

I've read a little about the potential impact of ethanol in small engines and in larger engines as well.  My boat is mostly used on the weekend.  I would rather be on the safe side of things.  So far, I've not had to put any ethanol in my boat. I also add the Yamaha Ring Free additive in every other tank.

As for storage, this year I'm hoping to boat year round.  I'm looking forward to not having to winterize an inboard this year.  I've still got a little of my winter blood from living in North Dakota and Alaska for seven years.  Actually, I'm a bit excited to do some cold weather boating, camping, and of course fishing!

I go to the QT in Mooresville on Rt. 150, west of I77 towards the lake and right a cross from Sam's Club. 

Just google........ethanol free gas near (your zip code)......and a bunch will come up. There's a bunch of stations in Mooresville. There has to be places near you. You're in North Charlotte right?!?

Not gonna happen Daril. Did you go for a long ride when you got the boat back? Leaving in a couple of hours for Savannah and Florida.

Yup Diane and I ran it pretty good! Couple hrs. Plus our mechanic took it for a good hour ride to test it before we got it back. 

Have a safe trip and a blast on your cruise!

Back