I need to upgrade to power assist steering

Reaction score
I just received my new R23 SB today and immediately realized that the sea star hydraulic steering needs to be complimented with power assist.  I assumed that my new R23 with a 200 Yamaha would be pretty much the same as my last Bennington, a 2015 GSR with a 150 merc with hydraulic steering.  I'm not sure if something on my older boat was different, however I noticed IMMEDIATELY that the new boat steering is more difficult compared to the older boat.  In one direction it seems comparable but turning in the other direction it seems to require a bit more force and has a very slight clunking feel.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Also if anyone out there has upgraded, PLEASE, tell me what I need to buy or send me a link. I hate to spend the money but...... I have to go through a culvert when leaving my creek to the main lake and the culvert is only 11' wide.  Fast, responsive and easy steering is a must when trying to put a 8.5' wide boat through a 11' wide tube.  I have slightly more than a foot on either side and hard steering is not fun in a tight area like that. Thanks so much.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The immediate difference is your engine size.  Bennington recommends the power assist steering option for engines above 150 hp.   You may be able to have the option added at your dealership.  Bigger the engine, harder the steering.   Wondering too if you went from an ESP bottom to an SPS bottom...could be slight handling differences there as well.

After much thought we opted for the dealor to add the power steering option before we took delivery.  So glad we did we love it, makes things so much easier  particularly when tubing.   Turning ease is very similar the wife's Toyota Avalon.

Search "power assist steering" here on this site. It's been discussed a lot. Much to be learned from previous discussions.

My almost 2 year old son can steer our boat with a 200 on the back. The power assist sure makes a huge difference.

Wow Lakeliving, can't believe your son is almost 2 years old already

Wow Lakeliving, can't believe your son is almost 2 years old already

I know. Time is flying by! It reminds me that I am getting older as well and I don't like that.

I know. Time is flying by! It reminds me that I am getting older as well and I don't like that.

Not to worry, soon you'll be an old guy and you can buy a pontoon boat. Oh, wait........

Old????? Hell I don't think I can even remember stuff from when I was your age.....  :blink:    You got lots of "young" years left ..... :Like:

Power assist is a must for a 200hp. I didn't even question it as my last boat and full power assist. Search on the forum I'm sure there's something on here with specifics for your upgrade. I'm not that old but I'm definitely lazy enough for power steering! 

You should read some of my posts from last Summer.  Same thing happened. Dealer sells a lot of 200's without assist and I asked about it but they felt it would be fine.  Well, it was a lot harder than I though it would be. I worked with dealer for an install  3 weeks later. Night and day difference in the performance of the boat.

Wouldn't go any other way aside from power steering on ours. We have a 200 on a SXP and it wonderful.  No problems whatsoever. I think its one of the more practical options that we added onto our boat. You wont regret it.

2017 20SLXP w/ 115 Yamaha... test drove it before purchase without Seastar assist... drove like a mack truck without power steering... had the dealer install the next week before we took ownership.... love it.

Back