Ignition key spins the entire threaded housing

bsunder

Reaction score
Sorry if I explained this poorly! When I insert the key and turn it, the entire threaded housing turns with it. I have to grasp the plastic, threaded "bushing" and hold it firmly and then turn the key. There is a plastic nut that should hold the threaded bushing in place but I don't want to tighten that to the point of cracking something. There is over an inch of plastic, threaded, bushing that sticks out that I insert the key into (this also doesn't seem correct.) (see photo) Any help/advice would be appreciated!
TY!!
Brian

Attachments

• ignition.jpg
    ignition.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 37
That doesn’t look right, too much threads showing. Didn’t say what year boat possible warranty. If our of warranty I would still have dealer look at it. Don’t want to end up stranded

Isnt there something that goes over that ? That should not be exposed like that

There was never anythings covering that. I feel like it has been slowly "spinning out farther" and showing more threads on the bushing. It is a 2019 model Sx22

There was never anythings covering that. I feel like it has been slowly "spinning out farther" and showing more threads on the bushing. It is a 2019 model Sx22

Hmm…with how it looks (not right), I’d show the pictures to your dealer and see what they say. It’s still under warranty, so just get it taken care of up to factory spec. Something must be missing that would otherwise prevent it from threading outward like that. Like Link said, I’d hate to risk getting stranded with it not restarting.

Last edited:
Are you the original owner ?

Possibly as simple as a plastic nut on the inside has worked its way off the threads? There should be something on the other side to tighten up to. Also if you’re worried about over tightening the plastic nut , get a nice looking stainless one from the hardware store to dress things up.

Good thinking on the nut on the inside Little B....I will check for that (that would make sense as to why the threaded bushing is "working its way out." And yes....I am the original owner Jack.

:)

I took the 4 screws out, removed plate, placed ignition back in, tightened not snuggly. Put plate back on.

So I can access from the front? I am worried I can't access from under the console(?)

That’s one way to twist the wires together … :oops:

Back