I'm guessing something's not quite right

Noah Genda

Reaction score
Third season on my Suzuki 250, been winterized and stored every season, this last winter with a different company.  Two boating sessions ago (about two weeks earlier), my daughter told me the engine stalled while underway.  But it started right up and they kept on going.  Same thing happened twice yesterday, and I chalked it up to bad gas.  Added about 30 gallons of new gas yesterday hoping that would do the trick.  Today it happened several times, maybe seven.  It seemed to occur more rapidly when under more throttle.  We decided to head back to our slip, and my wife and I both commented the engine seemed to be struggling.

I don't have a bit of engine/fuel line knowledge.  The boat and motor are under warranty.  The original marina has been sold to another group.  The closest Bennington dealer (Mercury reps and 60 miles away) laughed when I told them I had a Suzuki - "Good luck finding someone to work on it."  Very professional.  The closest Suzuki dealer is 80 miles away.

Do I have a service issue, or is there some cool Lucas Oil-like product that will save the day?  Thanks in advance.

Short of having a Suzuki computer reader, there's not a lot you can do...

You ruled out the "bad gas" idea, which was a good guess.  I would be cautious of adding any other additives to the oil or gas other than Stabil (or the equivalent in other brands) or you might breach your warranty.

One thing you can do is check that all wires are tight.  You said it stalls more frequently under throttle.  Vibration is greater under throttle, so it could be a loose connection somewhere.  Check the kill switch, ignition switch, battery switch, battery terminals, and anything you can see under the motor cowling (alternator, starter, plug wires, etc).  If any wire moves even just a little on the bolt it's connected to, you may have found your problem.  Your motor is pretty new, but I'd still look for corrosion at any of the contacts you can see.

Maybe someone will have some other ideas for you.  Call that Suzuki dealer tomorrow and ask them if there's anything you can try first to avoid the trip.  Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a fuel/water separator filter? If you do, and it's never been changed, change it. They should be changed yearly. Start with that. Under heavy throttle, if the filters clogged, it will starve the engine of gas.

A new set of plugs and engine fuel filter (not the same as water separator unless Suzuki does something different) would be next on my list. All three of these are something with even basic mechanical skills can accomplish. Even if you add new fuel, if phase separation has occurred, you can NOT CHANGE THAT. Make sure to always use Marine Stabil or Startron additive when fueling ESPECIALLY IF USING ETHANOL.

ALSO, AS Dan said, check all electrical connections.

Post back to let us know how it goes.

Also, when I did my buddy's water pump/lower oil, I commented how shi**y his engine idled and would die even if I brought it up off idle speed ..... I asked him when he tuned it up last ... Never he stated (2009 motor). He put a new set of plugs in, and he said it idles like new and seems to have so much more power now. Just shows something so minor can create a major issue. Cost him all of $10 or so for the plugs.

What kind of plugs are $10 for a set?  I would also check the fuel filter AND the primer bulb AND venting of the fuel tank.

No kidding on the $10 a set plugs!! the last set of plugs I bought were platinum and ran $12 each!! I put new plugs in the boat every couple of years.

What kind of plugs are $10 for a set? I would also check the fuel filter AND the primer bulb AND venting of the fuel tank.
It's only a 20hp 2 cyl Yami ??? Not sur of brand, but he got them at dealer so I'm thinking NGK.

I just bought a set of three at $7.00 each. Dido on the filter. At a higher RPM, if the filter is dirty the motor will starve of fuel, the carb bowls will empty and the motor will quit.

Good luck I just replaced 2 carbs. and that was after having the originals rebuilt last year.

UPDATE:  Sort of.  Since I'm unequivocally inept at all things motor related, I found someone willing to look at my Suzuki 250.  On driving the boat from my slip to the ramp, the motor purred like a kitten.  I'm second-guessing myself at this point.  So to make sure I'm not crazy, I open it up WOT and hit my usual max speed.  Granted, I had about 50 gallons of fuel in the tank.  She's roaring along and then dies.  I start the boat up again and take it over to the ramp, dock it, get my trailer in the water, and get back in the boat.  I do have someone handling the truck/trailer details.  THE BOAT WON'T START.  

So I manually (with a rope) get the boat lined up on the trailer and cinch it up on the bunks.  I'm laughing the whole time.  Really.  I crawl back on the boat and, just for fun, turned the key.  It started!  Figures.

Took the boat to a smaller marine shop in nowhere Indiana.  First thing he tells me is, "If I were you, I'd unload all the gasoline and start over.  It's got to be water in the fuel line."  Well, I didn't bring my 50-gallon tank along with me.  And he tells me he doesn't have the ability to do it.  REALLY?   Further, "Suzuki's are bulletproof.  But they are highly susceptible to water and low voltage," meaning something's wrong with your battery/electrical system.

The owner incorrectly tells me that gas is heavier than water - that's why the boat will start and then fail.  He pulls the fuel filter and empties it into a mason jar.  No water.  I asked if I kept putting in fresh gas, would I eventually get the water out of the system?  The answer is yes.

What really bothered me was he said his Suzuki diagnostic system was down : (.  More to follow.

I'd go to "somewhere" Indiana and have someone else look at it. You are not crazy. Something Is wrong and you already tried fresh gas..

Looks like there are three Suzuki dealers in your area.  Surely one of them can yelp you?  You are under warranty so hopefully it's just a matter of finding a dealer that can do warranty work and drop it off with them.

Westfield Yamaha Suzuki

18128 Market Court

Westfield, IN 46074317-867-4422

Reeder-Trausch Marine Inc

6950 E US Hwy 36

Rockville, IN 47872-7704765-344-1771

Tall Timbers Marina

11923 W. 800 N P.O.Box 385

Monticello, IN 47960574-965-2971

Sounds like water, adding 30 gallons will not do much good. The fuel pickup is at the bottom of the tank and fuel float on top of water. Drain the tank dry, fill with fresh fuel and change the filters. B et this solves the problem.

Steve

32 gallon tank here.

You can find out easily if you have water. Go to a local gas station (hopefully your buddies with them) and ask to use some of their water test "stuff". We had a stuff we brushed on the measuring stick and when we measured the fuel in the ground tank, we could see how much water was in the tank. The stick turned purple. This will give you an idea of how much waters in there. Then get a "gas safe" pump, get a line down to bottom of tank and pump out the "majority" of the water. I personally don't think you need to waste 50 gallons of gas. If you get that down in bottom of tank, if think 5 is plenty. You want to get the majority of water. I also have hard time believing it's water. If it runs fine till wot then it's starving for fuel. Start with ALL filters, drain some fuel, throw in some Stabil/Startron if you have not done so. DO NOT PUT ALCOHOL BASED "water removing" treatments in the tank. In a car, fine, it's a sealed system, on a boat = Bad news, ie:ethanol

Couldn't you just substitute a portable 5g tank just to see if that's the problem?

+1 on what Tom said. Much easier test than draining the tank.

Adding good gas to bad isn't a good idea The new doesn't make the old better. I've been through some of the same with my Merc. your jets maybe clogged. there may be junk coming through, or with poor gas a build up in the lines and jets. Check all the gas lines Make sure the  bulb valve and check valves at the tank are working proper so gas doesn't go back once it leaves the tank on its way to the motor.

Good luck

Back