I'm officially a Bennington owner! We got our new toon this weekend!

SnakeByte

Reaction score
Well, I didn't think it was in the cards to get our new Bennington this weekend, but my dealer really came through. He left me an email at 8:30pm Friday night saying they had just completed the prep and would be doing the final tests first thing Sat. morning.  On Saturday about noon he said all tested out and the detailers would be there shortly to get it all cleaned up.  At 4:30pm, he asked if we were ready to go on a boat ride!

We met him at the boat launch and went for a ride to get an introduction to our new boat.  What an awesome boat.  And man, it's a lot bigger in person than in the photos that I regularly see.  Also, as a person new to boating, I'm sure glad I didn't get a 24'!  Now, we'll see how long I say that for, but it's perfect so far.  We have some rather tight quarter, especially where I slip and I honestly don't think I could have docked her if it were a 24'.  But, that's me being an amateur with all this, I'm sure you seasoned pros would have no problem.

So far, there are only a couple of issues that I need to figure out.

1) I feel like the depth finder is wrong just as much as it is right...I was in 3 ft of water and it was saying like 65'.  Other times, I'd be cruising along and it would just sit at 46' and never change, all the way up to shore.  So that's about worthless.  Probably user error, but I need to figure that out.  I'll read my Echo manual I guess :(

2) Some kind of engine alarm is going off regularly.  it's a continuous buzz.  It has happened very frequently.  Typically happens when trying to accelerate, but others you can be running at 10k RPM and it will just sound.  You then put it in a neutral for a minute and then slowly give it throttle and it will usually stop.  Incredibly annoying.  Emailed the dealer, said he would get back to me soon.  I'm not concerned, I know he'll take care of it.  Once again, i'll probably have to read the manual to see what the continuous alarm indicates, I thought I read on here that it indicated water in the fuel, but heck, it's a brand spanking new 1/2 tank of gas that the dealer started me with.

Overall, my wife and I are thrilled with our new boat and couldn't be happier.  Had some great family time this Memorial Day weekend and I look forward to many more great times ahead.

Here are some pics:

Dealer arrives with it on the trailer...

med_gallery_5614_587_3216829.jpg

From the rear...

med_gallery_5614_587_2652458.jpg

The Yamaha is bigger than the wife!

med_gallery_5614_587_647556.jpg

Pulling away in our new ride...

med_gallery_5614_587_4589643.jpg

The Yamaha in action...

med_gallery_5614_587_132869.jpg

A whole new perspective from the water...

med_gallery_5614_587_111117.jpg

But this is what it's all about...time with my little co-pilot!

med_gallery_5614_587_1438762.jpg

Our slip...

med_gallery_5614_587_2138406.jpg

All tucked away for the night...

med_gallery_5614_587_1665567.jpg

Needless to say...it was a great first weekend of boat ownership!

Can't wait to do it again soon!

Congrats on finally getting it -- nice pics!

Here is a satellite view of our slip...pretty tight docking for someone who's really never piloted a boat...

When we back straight out, we only have a couple feet of clearance from the boats behind us.  We're the 4th slip south of the walking bridge, so of course we have to navigate all the way back there.  It's already getting easier though...I guess in the end it will make me a better boater!

med_gallery_5614_587_937383.png

congrats she is a beauty. docking to the slip will get easier with time I am getting the hang of it to as this is my first toon

Congrats !! Looks great !!

Congrats! Your little copilot will never forgot these memories.

Congratulations.  Sure is a beauty. 

Congrats!! I wish I had the problem of parking in a slip instead of trailering all the time. One thing I would do until you really get the hang of it is always have a passenger or two armed with an oar and/or a bumper in case you aren't coming in just right or the wind shifts you, or whatever. It will help save your neighbors boat as well as yours, plus that dock looks high enough to catch a panel if coming in wrong. Happy it all worked out, great pics, hopefully they get the engine warning fixed sooner than later. 

Had a friend in the same situation Snakebyte, the RV park he was in crammed the docks so close hard to get in and out of the slip.  In the beginning he was so afraid he would throw lines to his kids and they would pull him in, once he got the nerve to try there were enough mishaps that I named him Captain Crunch.  In the end it did make him a better driver and he could park it with no problem

Nice! The main thing you have to remember when docking is to take a breath and relax. You won't make mistakes that way.   ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Boating with family is what it is all about.  Great pictures, good looking boat.

Very nice boat! Congrats and thanks for the pics! 

Congrats to our fellow cheesehead! We are expecting ours on Thursday and will need to learn to park too :eek:

Very Nice!

Check behind the depth finer there should be 2 wires, one for power and the other for the signal make sure these are plugged in all the way and see if that helps. I had the same thing happen to me on my other boat

Sweet! Glad you got it for the big weekend. I think every boat would have an alarm going off if your running at 10,000 rpm!! That would even be too much for the viper! Just giving you a hard time!

Sweet! Glad you got it for the big weekend. I think every boat would have an alarm going off if your running at 10,000 rpm!! That would even be too much for the viper! Just giving you a hard time!
LOL...funny...minor digit problem!  There would be smoke galore I'm guessing!

Back