I'm sick. First damage to boat...

Hey Kay............What did the marina say?????????
Stick it.

Sorry I never replied to this. I guess I've been busy the last 19 months.

I think they hit their dumpster with it. It's an exact match when boat is on the trailer. Since I have valet service I rarely pull the trailer, but one time it dawned on me, and next time I was there when my boat was still on the trailer I did a "chest mark" where the scuff was, then found something to go throw away in the dumpster, and guess what? A reinforcement beam on the corner of the dumpster was exact same height as my pontoon scuff. Funny how they keep the dumpster in a new place now. Thinking back, they moved the dumpster about the same time as my scuff appeared. I always thought they hit a dock, but nothing ever seemed to line up in that regard. So, that's my guess. Water under the boat now.

Kaydano,

I am so sorry to hear that The Marina was this Careless

I hope their insurance covers and hope there is a security camera to see the actual damage

Wishing you a fast and speedy repair through their insurance 

Good Luck 

6676893881_d0544833b6_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bulldog said a Hairdryer and a pressure pack of compressed Air on a dent like that should pop it out! It's gotta work! He has seen videos of it on you tube! LOL LOL

On a serious note if the dent is any where near the bungs at the top of the toons you might find a Paintless dent removal guy that would be willing to customize a tool to push a dent like that out.

Getting big dents like that pulled out is pretty tricky. I have done it with a aluminum stud gun.

It's called a "capacitor discharge" gun it welds a pull point on the dent and gives you a pull point.

Most places will look at you like your from another planet if you mention pulling a dent from aluminum. But with the new F -150 being aluminum more body shops are learning how to deal with aluminum ( thank god) . Find a shop that's a certified Range Rover, Tesla, Jag, shop they have experience with aluminum and most likely can help you.

Bulldog said a Hairdryer and a pressure pack of compressed Air on a dent like that should pop it out! It's gotta work! He has seen videos of it on you tube! LOL LOL

On a serious note if the dent is any where near the bungs at the top of the toons you might find a Paintless dent removal guy that would be willing to customize a tool to push a dent like that out.

Getting big dents like that pulled out is pretty tricky. I have done it with a aluminum stud gun.

It's called a "capacitor discharge" gun it welds a pull point on the dent and gives you a pull point.

Most places will look at you like your from another planet if you mention pulling a dent from aluminum. But with the new F -150 being aluminum more body shops are learning how to deal with aluminum ( thank god) . Find a shop that's a certified Range Rover, Tesla, Jag, shop they have experience with aluminum and most likely can help you.
Wow Grant, 3rd time and still no different. If you are going to attempt to be a smartass, at least "quote" the right person,

SEMPERFI8387

SEMPERFI8387Commodore

• Moderators
  • staff.png
  • 4,404 posts
  • LocationYork, Pa

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:33 AM

Depending on size if dent, I've watched videos of a trick for dents that do not have major creasing. You heat it up real good with a hair dryer or heat gun, then spray it with condensed air used on computers. The dent "pops" back out. Might be worth a shot. Other than that you are looking at good couple hours to remove, cut access hole, pop the dent, re-weld, re-install. I'm betting good 6-8 hour job not factoring in getting boat set up to drop the toon. Most of the time i think will be dropping and reinstalling. I'd say a good rainy weekend job so you are not rushed.

•  

My comment was this,

BulldogsCadillac

BulldogsCadillacJust some guy

• LocationDauphin, Manitoba

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

I understand that automotive sheet metal is thinner and all that, and I'm NOT saying it will work on a pontoon, but the heat method mentioned is NOT a "parlour trick" it can really work. They say metal has a 'memory' and the heat allows it to return back to its original state, as long as no creases. As I said, I'm NOT saying it will work in the application, but don't discredit it.Oh, and a hair dryer won't work, I've seen it with a torch, only thing to get it hot enough.

As I said , it isn't a "parlour" trick, it is a real thing. I guess because YOU didn't think of it, nor offer it as a repair option it doesn't exist. Do a search for The Inductor, nevermind, I'll save you the trouble, here is a link don't want to waste your precious time,

https://www.semashow.com/sites/default/files/pdr_baton_pr.pdf

http://www.theinductor.com/index.php?m=52&s=60

FELIZ CINCO DE MAYO!!!!

The marina where we bought our boat and store it at in the off-season damaged a splash deflector prior to launch this season. They're replacing the deflector and restoring our boat as they should. No questions asked. It should be the same for your damage as well. Our marina is a Bennington dealer, not sure if your situation is the same. Good luck.

logo.jpg

So glad I dock in front of the house on a private lake, when I see the public lake insanity, I breathe a sigh of relief :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know quite a bit about aluminum, and removing dents from it. Aluminum repair is becoming more common day by day (thank god) with the new Ford F-150 being aluminum Tesla Range Rover and Jag being all aluminum more shops and Techs are becoming proficient at aluminum repair.

With that said you can't pull A dent on a Aluminum tube with out exerting to the back side to work it. steel is MUCH thinner and is very workable.

The tubes on a Bennington are Very thick and normal auto body teqniques will not work on them for 2 reasons. #1 thicknes #2 you can't get to the back side of the dent.

If you were to remove the tube and cut it open from the topside so you could get to the back side of the dent then you have a much better chance at fixing the above damage.

I am not doubting that you are an intelligent person, I'm sure you know a lot more than me about a lot of things. I was merely irked that after everything that has transpired in the past, you would feel the need to imply that I am somehow so naive that if I saw something on YouTube I would think it must be true. Even though 1, I wasn't the person who said it in the first place, and 2, actually made the comment that I ALSO thought that particular method wouldn't work. Although I did comment that even though YOU say it isn't real since you called it a "parlour trick", the actual heating of metal IS a proven way to remove some minor dents. I provided reference for you of that.

Ultimately Gee, hairdryer comment you made in this topic was completely unneeded, it was, in my opinion, only there to be a jerk. And THAT is why I took offense to it, and obviously because you claimed I was the one who said it, which is clearly untrue.

I knew that wouldn't last long. 8 posts in under the new name and the wheels come off again.

Back