In Floor Storage?

GWLK

Reaction score
I have the 3-tube in floor storage.  I emptied the contents today in an attempt to clean out the storage area.  I tried every which way and I cannot remove the two plastic floor boards for cleaning.  

Could use some help, has anyone removed them?  

Anyone solve the gasoline vapor smell that is always lingering down there?

Does it  have anything to do with the fact that there is a hole in the bulkhead between the storage area and the fuel tank?  Not sure why.

Shouldn't the storage area be sealed off?  I would think it should be.  Wouldn't you want to keep the area as dry as possible.  Because of the water that does get in there, I have some mold on the under side of the hatch cover.

-Ed

Fuel vapor smell, not a good thing up there! New boat?  Have your dealer check it out. My boards are in there with stainless screws. I have not had the need to remove them yet.  Weather it be rain or condensation, moisture will find its way in the storage area. I ensure all that goes in there is dry (vests ropes, etc) and when I place the play pen cover on , I leave the  storage door open when we are away for the week just to keep things dry.

This boat is under a covered slip, with a leaky roof.

Regards

Mine doesn't smell like fuel. Your fuel is still completely contained in a plastic tank, so it makes no difference that there is a hole between them. It has to since that is how the bilge pump gets the water out that ends up in there. As was said, always leave the hatch door open when not in use. I know someone said they were able to get theirs out. I suppose there must be a way, they got them in there, I however was unable to twist and turn and lift in the right sequence to get mine out! They did tell on here how they did it, but that post may be a hard one to find! When I store for the winter I lower the tongue as low as I can, then vacuum out any water left in there, that way it isn't hiding in the back of the pontoon where the bilge pump is and end up freezing and wrecking the pump.

Center toon fuel tank has that problem. They know about it and nothing they can do.

The holes are for air movement and water drainage back to the bilge pump. Don't seal them up.

When my boat is under cover, I pop the hatch open. Helps dissipate the smell. It helps as my tubes, etc used to stink.

The floor boards in mine have 2 finger holes in each board where the boards meet in the middle. Lift up from there, the other end slides into a slot. There is a strap on each side that snaps around a brace at that middle joint.

I too was unable to figure out the rubiks cube combination to get the boards out. So I slid one on top of the other cleaned, then did the same for the second section.

I too was unable to figure out the rubiks cube combination to get the boards out. So I slid one on top of the other cleaned, then did the same for the second section.
Now that sounds pretty logical Jared.

By the way, have you been out on the lake the last few days?  We were out yesterday.  I wish the lake was always that full!  For others reading this, our Corps of Engineers reservoir is up ~25 feet due to all the rain over the last month or so. Sorry California.

Yep, I realized afterwards that the hole in the bulkhead is necessary.  My floor boards are secured by a nylon tether strap and stainless steel snap.  

Thanks all, good info.  I will have to start leaving the hatch door open when not under way.  It shouldn't be that difficult to remove the boards, but it is.  They might have them installed before the hatch insert is welded in place.

Clark, but were you able to get them out.  I did all that and it looks like another 2" of space is needed to wiggle them out.

Jared, that is what I ended up doing, they won't come out.  Which by the way is foolish, they should come out.

It will barely clear the opening when the floorboards are on the diagonal coming out, but it will make it. I think I  had to turn it slightly to one side also. I have had mine out twice---once to clear the construction debris left in there, and the second time to retrieve my wife's expensive cross that fell through the slots in the hatch and then off the floorboards before I could  get around to retrieving it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moved post...

Last edited by a moderator:
This might have been figured out already by others but, if you move the plastic boards to the forward of the storage area, then lift from the rear, there is more room to maneuver the boards out of the hold.  

Back