Insurance Recommendation

OldFart123

Reaction score
My boat arrives in 2-3 weeks and wondered if anyone has a recommendation on boat insurance. Some companies will specialize in unique types of insurance like motorcycles, airplanes, etc. 

Any input or suggestions on companies would be appreciated. 

BoatUS !!!!!

Before you buy, check your SPILL COVERAGE !!!!!!!

Most policies don't cover jack squat for spills.

BoatUS is like $845,000...... Yes, that's 845 THOUSAND !!!!!

I switched to Boat US.

I've had BOAT U.S. for ten + years. never had a problem with them.

Yup my Allstate policy had something ridiculous, like$800 bucks or something like that. It's in a post somewhere. I went with BoatUS as I'm in a State Park lake, and I guarantee it won't be cheap if I have a spill.

Just checked, it's $854,000, not 845.

Cost me $197/year now, I pay monthly installments.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too changed to Boat US, will never look back.

Steve

I had the same issue with Allstate, and switched to BoatUS because of the spill coverage. Their monthly magazine that you get as a member is awesome.

Here is another for boatus, and I work for a different insurance carrier!

Another for BoatUS. I've had State Farm for 35 years on everything else, but this was worth the switch. They've just recently changed carriers beneath the covers, so hopefully it stays pretty much the same as it was before.

What's the spill coverage for I fill my tank in the yard? Went through AARP THE HARTFORD and saved a bundle.

What's the spill coverage for I fill my tank in the yard? Went through AARP THE HARTFORD and saved a bundle.
Do you use all the fuel before you get to the lake? If not and there is an accident, there could be a spill in the water.

I have my car,home boat all with the same company .I also have a million dollar umbrella that covers any other liability .

Wow, I'm paying a little over $400 a year through state farm. I will have to check with boatus. It seems like most people are paying less than me and I only have a S series.

Lord something else to worry about. My annual bill is $113.00  Decommissioned  3 months Dec., Jan., Feb. I'll check on this spill policy

mine was $318 for 365 days for the premium package + 5000 coverage that includes all my extras, depth finders trolling motor and fishing gear etc

Damage to the motor in an accident could cause an oil spill.

Or, a seal could leak somewhere, leaking gear lube, engine oil, or gas into the water. That could happen while driving the boat or while it is parked for an extended time in a slip.

Allstate coverage for this was $100. Pathetic. Insulting, really.

If you don't have adequate coverage, you are not fully covered, no matter how good of a deal you got on the policy.

BoatUS is a not for profit too, so your policy fee doesn't also cover profits.

I have my car,home boat all with the same company .I also have a million dollar umbrella that covers any other liability .
Yeah had that and thought that. Then I had a accident with a travel trailer and watch State Farm attempt to screw me.

Now house has its own policy and carrier, cars own carrier,

Travel Trailer, atvs, street legal golf cart, dirt bikes, and my motorcycles are all on progressive- my 11 year old daughter is covered as a driver on her quad and golf cart.

Boat with boatus

Each policy has extra liability coverage and medical coverage.

If your in an accident- your personal health doesn't kick in. Learned the hard way what it costs to pay to re inflate a lung.

I just put in an a quote request at Boatus .See what they have to say .

I have no Idea what my premium would  on the new boat haven't spoke to my agent yet about it .No need to until just before I find out when it will be mine .

I would suspect at least twice as much as the SLX last year .

Maybe I will call today to compare . 

Update .10:00 am .

Just called my insurance agent $51.00 a year increase ,Still waiting for BoatUS quote .

I have Seaworthy.  Full replacement value locked in (13 22SSFX), 900K spill coverage, and all the other goodies.  418/year.  Coverage in Canada no problem, and storage in Canada covered too.

Back