Interior Fiberglass Repair

Deltatuk

Reaction score
I had a windshield section break last summer on my RL211, and I finally received the replacement after it was specially manufactured. When I went to replace the windshield I noticed that the holes no longer line up correctly, this in itself is no issue as i can just put new holes where they belong, the issue is that where one of the old holes is the fiberglass looks to have chipped when it was originally fit with the windshield. I want to repair it cosmetically only as it is in plain site and bothers me. I am having issues finding what color the gel coat is (Looks Tan) to try and match the repair color. Also I need to caulk another piece which is the same color so it would help in that instance as well (Suggestions for type and brand are also welcome).

Chad

Chad, you might go to an industrial suppy catalog and try to find a flat-type plug to pop in the holes,if they are relatively small. Go to the hardware store and try to match the gel coat color with spray paint and then paint the plugs.I used to work in a Vette and boat shop years ago and this can be fixed properly but it will be time consuming. Steve

I recall from my jetski days a gel coat repair kit. The kit comes with hardner application tools and several tints or colors including white. You just mixed your way to a match, applied it, then covered it with a plastic and let it dry. I too expect to have a fiberglass repair job coming up and intend to go this route, but have not done it before.

A contractor recently used the gelcoat repair kit on a fiberglass tub in one of our apartment houses and by the time he was done you really couldn't see the repair

I had a windshield section break last summer on my RL211, and I finally received the replacement after it was specially manufactured. When I went to replace the windshield I noticed that the holes no longer line up correctly, this in itself is no issue as i can just put new holes where they belong, the issue is that where one of the old holes is the fiberglass looks to have chipped when it was originally fit with the windshield. I want to repair it cosmetically only as it is in plain site and bothers me. I am having issues finding what color the gel coat is (Looks Tan) to try and match the repair color. Also I need to caulk another piece which is the same color so it would help in that instance as well (Suggestions for type and brand are also welcome).

Chad
Can't answer the gel coat repair part, but look for OSI caulk, they have a ton of colors available. It's made to color match vinyl siding so exterior use is no problem.

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET COLOR MATCHED GELL COAT FROM BENNINGTON. I HAD AN ISSUE WITH A BASS BOAT A FEW YEARS BACK. ASKED AROUND AND WAS TOLD TO CALL THE MANUFACTURER FOR AN EXACT COLOR MATCH.

Is Bennington the OEM of the Helms used on our boats? If not, and no repair kits are offered, maybe go direct to the supplier for a gel coat repair kit.

If you haven't done it before..............Have a professional do it.............Our kids bumped jet skis and we needed to have both jet skis repaired. Had a local body shop handle it at the end of the season and it was like brand new............

Back