IO vs OB (need to decide)

slyguy

Reaction score
My dealer has priced out a 2575QCW (w/Yamaha F350) and a 2575QCW I/O with Volvo Duoprop 300hp similarly equipped for the same price except the engines.

He said there are not many people around hear that work on Yamaha engines.  He said most everyone goes with Mercury when they go OB.  Reason I'm going with Yamaha, is because I believe in the name.  They make excellent motorcycles (I've had the same one for 10yrs) and I assume they make excellent marine engines + command link, I believe will hook up directly to the GPS (if ordered with the boat) and will report certain things from the engine, such as fuel consumption, and other information (if anyone has a setup like this, it would be great if you can send me a list of data you can get access to.  What gauges come with the Yamaha setup?  Anyone have pictures of this helm setup?

The OB priced out @ $4k higher on Benny's site, but my dealer says the same.  My view:

IO Pros:  swim platform, slightly bigger than OB version.  Speakers off the back.  Should run flatter (not so much bow rise).  Dealer says its quicker out of the hole (though he has no experience with the Yamaha)

IO Cons:  The hump over the engine, no way to control radio from the swim platform.  Slower so I hear (@ 42-44mph). 

OB Pros: Flat deck, can go @ 53mph so I hear.  Longer engine warranty (2 years longer)

OB Cons:  Big engine hanging off the back.  No stereo aft, though probably can hear it just fine from outside of the boat.  No swim platform.  Bow rise (wife hates this, I'm not a big fan either).

BTW, sealed lifting strakes, don't these boats with ESP come with lifting strakes.  What are the sealed ones, and is it worth it or a waste of $.  

Thanks for you help. 

When we were looking for a boat, my wife ruled out inboards. After looking at several (we were buying used) I agreed with her. Outboard's a re easie to get to and around to work on, no bilge or compt ventilationr to worry about or remember and less intrusion in the occupied space. We have a 207L with 70hp Yamaha so we are not comparing 45mph flat versus more bow lift.

I love our outboard for ease of maintenance and no winterizing. We just hop on and turn the key. It's quiet and performs well and there's nothing in the way (no hump). That 350 will be a brute, but I think you'll love it. I know I would.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say OB because guys a lot smarter than me have generally voted in favor of the OB over the IB with the most commonly stated reason as more reliable followed by easier to work on.  However I have to admit that for me from an aesthetic viewpoint not seeing that motor is a pretty damn cool look. I can't comment on "the hump" because I have never seen it in person and you don't see it in the pictures.  So with a final thought that if you can afford a Q then you can certainly afford to pay someone else to work on it so who cares if it is located in a tight space. 

I went from an I/O to a Yamaha 250 OB and do not regret it at all.  The 250 seems to have more of a hole shot for pulling boards/skiers out of the water than did my I/O.  I also think that the hole shot (if that's important to you) can be improved with different props - you may lose some on the top end speed but there are props that can give you a great hole shot on the OB.  For the quiet operation and the lower maintenance issues, I woul go with the Yammy!

Jack

Here where we are located we can have harsh winters. When we had a runabout we had an IO, but we really missed out on some boating opportunities because we had to winterize earlier, and also wait later in the spring to launch, because of freezing temps. For our new pontoon we decided OB was the only way to go. We went with Yamaha and have loved it so far. Runs quick and quiet, and everything is much easier to maintain or replace than trying to access an IO. We have definitely liked going with a Yamaha OB that is max HP for our boat.

Not many people around working on Yamaha outboards?  I don't understand your dealer making such a general statement.  Yamaha's have been around since 1984, and every quality mechanic can work on them.  If he's selling Yamaha's, can't he work on them?

Most people go with Mercury outboards?  What horsepower?  What countries is he talking about.  In the U.S., Yamaha controls well over 1/3 of the market, and they've been especially strong from 150 horsepower up.  And Yamaha motors can be linked with all the high tech GPS units--just like the Mercury Verados and their ungodly expensive SmartCraft systems.

I have had two inboard outboards, and still have one.  They're fine in full hulled boats for the first 5-8 years.  But when you've got to replace rubber parts like bellows and u-joints--they're a royal pain.  After I switched to a 1985 Yamaha outboard, my total maintenance in 27 years was $275.  Have you noticed so many boats in marine salvage yards are I/O's?  That's because of the outdrive units not holding up, and freezing of the engine blocks.

Pros and Con's:  Don't over think the pro's and con's.  Just go with the outboard, and you'll be more than thrilled with it.  It's simply a beast, and will perform much better than some heavy I/O unit.   Very, very few pontoons are sold with I/O's for many reasons.  And don't worry about bow lift (like a full hulled boat) because tritoons don't experience any appreciable bow lift.

If you're leaving the boat in salt water, sealed lifting strakes might matter.  In fresh water, they're not needed.

Your dealer's rash statements is what would concern me.  Is he worth doing business with if he's saying such things about Yamaha or any other brand?

The sealed strakes are for saltwater.  It keeps things from growing in them.  We have a 2575rcw I/O and love it.  The engine hump has not been any kind of problem.  The 8.2L big blocks have a much higher step.  We do spend more to winterize.  The O/B will be faster because you can get the toons out of the water (your bow rise)  Reality is that most people don't boat at top speed.  We only use full throttle when starting a skier of tuber.  The swim platform on the I/O is really nice.  We have had 4 people sitting on it with their feet in the water when others are floating at the back of the boat.  The dual prop is a great system on a pontoon boat.  It is the one item I wish I had on ours.  One intangible is that everybody has a toon with O/B's, we get lots of looks and questions when we pull up to the gas docks.  You will love either model, go with the one that looks better to your eye.  

Not many people around working on Yamaha outboards?  I don't understand your dealer making such a general statement.  Yamaha's have been around since 1984, and every quality mechanic can work on them.  If he's selling Yamaha's, can't he work on them?

Most people go with Mercury outboards?  What horsepower?  What countries is he talking about.  In the U.S., Yamaha controls well over 1/3 of the market, and they've been especially strong from 150 horsepower up.  And Yamaha motors can be linked with all the high tech GPS units--just like the Mercury Verados and their ungodly expensive SmartCraft systems.

I have had two inboard outboards, and still have one.  They're fine in full hulled boats for the first 5-8 years.  But when you've got to replace rubber parts like bellows and u-joints--they're a royal pain.  After I switched to a 1985 Yamaha outboard, my total maintenance in 27 years was $275.  Have you noticed so many boats in marine salvage yards are I/O's?  That's because of the outdrive units not holding up, and freezing of the engine blocks.

Pros and Con's:  Don't over think the pro's and con's.  Just go with the outboard, and you'll be more than thrilled with it.  It's simply a beast, and will perform much better than some heavy I/O unit.   Very, very few pontoons are sold with I/O's for many reasons.  And don't worry about bow lift (like a full hulled boat) because tritoons don't experience any appreciable bow lift.

If you're leaving the boat in salt water, sealed lifting strakes might matter.  In fresh water, they're not needed.

Your dealer's rash statements is what would concern me.  Is he worth doing business with if he's saying such things about Yamaha or any other brand?
Regarding your statement about Yamaha reliability.  I completely agree with that.

My dealer (the only Benny dealer in town) says the marina's around here (we have about 1/2 dozen lakes around us (all man-made)) that have mercury parts.  He said getting yamaha parts in can take a week or more.  He said it was like a buy american thing (I think).  I probably should verify that they can work on the motors, huh?

it wasn't much about top speed, as I believe how often will we go that fast anyway though it will be fun to scare the crap out of my passengers at 53mph.  I think it is more about cruising speed @ 4500 rpm.  I would like to be able to cruise in the low 30s if possible at this RPM.  Its also about having the power when we need it and about reliability. The Volvo requires premium fuel and doesn't get as good mileage as the OB.  The yamaha takes regular gas.

My first pontoon was an outboard. Yamaha motor and we loved it. Then traded for a Q25 with a 350Mag IO and loved that one even more. Great power and a terrific holeshot and maneuverability with the Bravo III. Best top speed was 44.1gps, but I really never run flat out. Loved the IO so much, I traded for another Q25, but upped the power to the big block 8.2L

Wife would kill me if I got that.  I would love to get your setup (jealous).  That's my dream.  Would probably add another $10-15K to the price which I'm already having sticker shock over.  What was wrong with your original Q25 with 350Mag?  What was your drive for getting the 496?   

People are bound to have strong opinions on this.

I have the I/O and LOVE it.  That said, I grew up with my Dad liking outboards and he was 100% a Mercury man.  There was Mercury and everything else.  I have heard that the Yamaha outboards are nice as well though but still, me personally, IF I were to ever go to an outboard it would be a Mercury....no question.

Yes the outboard will most likely have more top end because with an I/O, more of the bow will be in the water because the weight of the engine is closer to the center on an IO.

Not sure why people on here are saying it's easier to work on an OB.  My I/O is basically a 350 Chevy engine with Volvo's marine stuff added to it and is a breeze to  work on and I'm no mechanic.  And what hump is everyone talking about????  I have no hump on mine although I have the sundeck on mine (2575 RL I/O).

I also love that swim platform....man is that nice and just as someone else said, you sure get some looks when people can't see an engine off the back.  I love that clean look.  Since the engine is all concealed it's very quiet although I am very aware that all of these new 4-stroke outboards are also very quiet.

I have heard that the Volvo outdirves (which is what I have) are actually better than the Merc Cruiser outdrives.  Change your gear lube once a year like you're supposed to and you should have any issues.

If you plan on pulling people who want to ski behind your boat often I would bet the an OB would be better for a quick hole shot out of the water but my wife has pulled me up on 1 ski behind ours and I did just fine.

It's really up to your preference.  I don't think anyone here, including me, is right or wrong because this is almost like trying to tell someone if they should vote republican or democrat. 

Nothing wrong at all with the Q25/350 Mag, absolutely loved it. My salesperson just knows what buttons to push along with the fact that I really liked the look of the Blackout package. I figure that since I was trading, might as well add some ponies.

just when I lean one way, I lean a different way.  You all have good points, keep them coming.  

Being in Arizona ,do you have to winterize ?

I order my 2375rcw 4 weeks ago. I went through some of the same concerns you have. Should I get an I/O or OB. I chose OB. I am coming out of a ES 250 Baja 454mag V-8 that I had for very long time. The Baja would run in the low sixties. I only did that a few time. that'a very fast on the water.  Never had a problem with the engine. I drove a Benningtion 2375 RCW with a 250hp Yamaha and was very impressed the speed topped out at low to mid 40's. that's fast enough for me. The reasons i decided to go with the Yamaha are, Two years warranty plus additions 3 years warranty for a total of 5 years, the easy to work on the OB and not stand on my head doing so. Cost of overall operation, reg fuel, no big time winterizing more boating into late fall and earlier in the spring, The big reason, Yamaha make a very good motor. I heard the same things about having no one the lake to work on Yamaha motor. Now true. I checked with marines on and around lake most of them have a certified mechanic that works on Yamaha. You have choices. Make a list, one side of list is pros and the side is cons. Good luck. Look forward to seeing the photos of your toon.  

Carl.............what hump?!?

An I/O is all I've ever had in both of my boats........... but I'm open to owning an outboard.............someday.

I know, your hump is the seating.

Back