Is a an Express Tube Beneficial on 20 SLXP F90 Yam

Airlifter

Reaction score
New to Forum 

20 plus hrs on this Boat Show Dealer purchase.  Overall happy with the experience of riding and tubing with the Family, but would like a speed increase without going WOT.  The boat has Lifting Strakes, Wave Shield and Hydraulic steering.  The Yamaha F90 is smooth and fairly quiet at 4500 rpm.  I wonder what should I expect before trading in for a 21 SLX Tri, or adding an Express Tube

Thx 

I did both. You will not see an appreciable gain in speed by adding the Express to a boat with a 90. Plus, since you are already underskinned, labor will cost more to remove it.

Save that money (est. +/-  $3000) for a 21' SLX with SPS/150. You will double your current top speed.

Seriously.

Agreed. I have 21slx with yamaha 150 and sps. Get just under 40.

Brian

Thank you. I can't believe that I'm looking to trade after 25 hrs.  

No one can, those infected with PADS never see it coming :p

No one can, those infected with PADS never see it coming :p

So true. I caught it with one innocent stop at my dealer in April.

We sold our 2013 after having it 3 months and don't regret it one bit. I think we made it to 48 hours though.

Thanks for the input

I'll keep it through the season and look for a 21 slx  tritoon with a 150   The Delaware inland bay is very tidal and I'll need an improved chart/gps garmin to go with the upgrade 

I had a 20 with a 90 hp. And traded for a 21 sfx with sps and a 150 after 10 months no regrets here either. 

I love this boat. 40 hours in 40 days.  I'm thinking of adding a third toon and upgrading to 115.  It would appear to be an Xl 115 upgrade. If the Bennington dealer were to due this would  the warranty remain valid.  Would the Coast Guard classification change allowing the hp 115.  

I realize a new boat is easier with a trade, but I really enjoy this one.  Like I've said  I'd like a 4-6 mph improvement with the 115 hp and a  center toon from Bennington.  As the season is coming to an end  I'm thinking this is possible during the off season.

Sell the boat.  Newer used pontoons sell quickly.  You won't be happy with the 115hp.  Get a model that can handle a 150 or 175. 

To answer your questions, yes, your warranty would remain intact if the work is performed by an authorized dealer. Assuming Bennington builds a model exactly like your boat with the XL115 package, they will provide you an updated USCG capacity plate for max hp, passengers & weight.

I doubt you would gain the speed increase you desire. You would, however, get a much improved ride.

The Express package including installation will run you +/- $3500. Upgrading to a 115 will be +/-$6000.

Do you really want to spend almost ten grand on your current boat? As suggested above, sell it, add in the ten grand and buy a new one with the hull/motor you desire.

Be sure to drive both the XL 115 and an SPS/150 before you sign on the dotted line.

These are not the ramblings of an uninformed boater. I did the Express upgrade on my R22 with 115. It rode better but ran no faster. In your case, the small jump from a 90 to a 115 won't be appreciable, IMHO.

Thank you. 

I really have gained a large amount of experience in the 40!hrs on this new boat.  As a first time boat owner your  experience and time to help fellow forum members is greatl.   I will seriously look at a new boat with your inputs in October when this one is pulled out for the season. 

My 22sslx was maxed with a 115 (which is what we had). Sold it after 3 months (for what I paid new minus sales tax) and bought my current setup. I've never once regretted it. It is surprising how well they hold their value. I sold mine myself vs. losing a ton through a dealer on a trade.

Back