Is there any way to replace the fence panels and not the entire fence?

Reaction score
Yes I have searched, a lot. Read in posts a few years ago that the fence with the square aluminum rail had to be replaced with the panels and was only sold as one piece (including graphics). I cant afford the entire 60+ feet new.

I have a 2001 model 2575FS that I bought used. It was a freshwater boat, and covered. Everything is in beautiful condition except the side panels. The decals are peeling at the edges, there are some fade marks in the beige panels, and a few small dents.

I first was going to (and still may have to) remove the decals, and clean the panels. I would then apply new decals, but simple attractive striping, not the factory decals. Painting the panels is too hard, I have no trailer to get the boat to a pain booth. And even with new striping, the panels would show fade marks...maybe I could live with that, but I'm looking to make a showpiece to be proud of.

Then I found some replacement panel materials that are already baked enamel on .030 aluminum in rolls, that have deep dark colors, and would need no striping, the boat would look almost like new.

http://www.pontoonfe...cepaneling.html

I keep the boat on a lift in a boathouse, and need no cover. It never sees rain or UV. I wouldnt need any cover snaps and could dispose of all those.

I have major DIY skills and friends with even more.

I know that the panels had to be inserted at some point into the rails by Bennington, and I doubt they permanently weld them in. Aluminum is tricky to weld, and the heat would damage the panel finish. So I assume the rails come apart to some degree to allow the panels to slide in at the factory...but I've been wrong before.

The cost of decal removal and new decals is only slightly less then the materials for high quality panel material, and it would look much better.

On their site it says you can bend the aluminum lips up and replace the panels,then the rubber mallet the lip back. This sounds like a recipe for disaster, as I'm afraid it would break at the weld.

I'm not in a hurry, but cant see why this cant be done somehow.

Anyone ever done this?

To the best of my knowledge, the panels do not come out, they are replaced as the entire fence. This has been discussed on the forum in the past, so try the search feature and see what comes up.

I think your best option would be to remove the decals, clean the panels thoroughly and get together with a local sign/graphics company, pick out your stunning new look and have sheets of wrap cut to the panel sizes.

This way you can pick virtually any look you want, and installation is easy.

Watch this video.........at 2:10 you see them laying the sheet onto the fence ...... this is a video from at least last year........ might give you ideas..........

http://www.benningto....php?video_id=4

Last edited by a moderator:
I go with Geoffrey on this. I also have an older boat and intend to have it wrapped this fall. They can do complete cars and trucks with lots of compound curves so a barge should be simple. Steve

If you do take on this project please keep us informed as I have a feeling many would appreciate. Pictures of work progress would be nice

If you choose to replace entire panels/rails, I would take this opportunity to go with a "modern" color panel vs the original beige.

This would make your boat appear "new".

Back